E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Good Morning,

I've got an '04 545i with SMG and my work situation has changed (unfortunately about 3 months after I bought it) so now I am faced with a 35 mile, each way, commute in Washington DC rush hour traffic. I am torn here as I absolutely love the 5er, but that commute with SMG and premium fuel blowing through 8 cylinders is starting to wear on me... not too mention my ride. I am thinking of getting into something a little more efficient and less likely to need costly repairs (read NO WARRANTY on the 5), but it has to be as fun to drive as the 5er. Any ideas.. or should I just suck it up? A newer 3 would be good, but at that point I might as well keep the 5, then I was recently looking at the new Jetta GLI Autobahn with DSG, but with only 200hp, sounds like it would be way short on power.

Thanks for any suggestions..

Will
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

What price range do you want to be in? And what's more important, has mileage it power even it comes to the ratio?

Being stuck in bad traffic I automatically think u should aim for an auto trans for simplicity/ease...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Members

I would like to keep it in the $25k range at less than 2 years old with under 25k miles. Parameters.. not a Prius, I can handle anything over about 22 mpg combined, but I would prefer to use the cheap gas rather than premium and it MUST be fun to drive AND be a sedan (two kids). I would like a sub 6 0-60 and be able to handle on the weekends. I also really would like to have some steering feel, so the lexus/honda/nissan stuff is probably out. I know, picky picky, probably doesn't exist.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:28 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Jetta TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Members

Random thoughts:

Does the Subaru WRX come with an automatic transmission? A coworker has one (with a stick), and I really liked it, despite its general "teenage tuner from L.A." vibe.
Plus it gets you to work on snowy mornings, and Subaru quality is bulletproof.

And maybe it's heresy on this forum, but I loved my '05 A4 3.0. The newer A4s feel like a Passat, but a few years back they were better. Read: more BMW-like! Maintenance and repairs will kill you with an Audi, though.

The sad thing is that I can't think of an American car that fits your straightforward requirements.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by segesta
Random thoughts:

Does the Subaru WRX come with an automatic transmission? A coworker has one (with a stick), and I really liked it, despite its general "teenage tuner from L.A." vibe.
Plus it gets you to work on snowy mornings, and Subaru quality is bulletproof.

And maybe it's heresy on this forum, but I loved my '05 A4 3.0. The newer A4s feel like a Passat, but a few years back they were better. Read: more BMW-like! Maintenance and repairs will kill you with an Audi, though.

The sad thing is that I can't think of an American car that fits your straightforward requirements.

I thought about the WRX, but never really looked too hard for fear of the "boy racer" style. I will look a little closer. "Jetta TDI", every where I look it seems to point back to the Jettas. Why can't they put a little more power in there? As for the Audi, yeah I guess, but at that point I might as well keep the 5, still needs premium and just as likely to break down $$$$. Any thoughts on the 2013 Fusion/Aston Martin? The biggest engine will be about 237hp, but they will allegedly have a variable steering adjustment allowing you to dial in the right feel.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Members

Follow-up: WRX automatic - Nope! Can't find it on their website as an option and not a single one on Ebay.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

Jetta TDI has good torque so it doesn't feel slow. It's pretty fun to drive.
It has Bluetooth and iPhone interface as standard features.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Cruiser565
Good Morning,

I've got an '04 545i with SMG and my work situation has changed (unfortunately about 3 months after I bought it) so now I am faced with a 35 mile, each way, commute in Washington DC rush hour traffic. I am torn here as I absolutely love the 5er, but that commute with SMG and premium fuel blowing through 8 cylinders is starting to wear on me... not too mention my ride. I am thinking of getting into something a little more efficient and less likely to need costly repairs (read NO WARRANTY on the 5), but it has to be as fun to drive as the 5er. Any ideas.. or should I just suck it up? A newer 3 would be good, but at that point I might as well keep the 5, then I was recently looking at the new Jetta GLI Autobahn with DSG, but with only 200hp, sounds like it would be way short on power.

Thanks for any suggestions..

Will
Yes try to get 3-series, it should give you at least 22mpg. Really, what is your commute? I have 550 so from Leesburg to Sterling/Dulles area in rush hours, give me between 18 and 19.5 with auto tranny. I think SMG should be even better. VW Passat is very roomy but lack of power on 5 cylinder engine. I was looking to buy one for my wife but it doesn't go.

Also I want to ask, if you are not far away from Leesburg/Reston area, I would like to try your car for throttle response, if I figure you are going sell it anyway.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
Yes try to get 3-series, it should give you at least 22mpg. Really, what is your commute? I have 550 so from Leesburg to Sterling/Dulles area in rush hours, give me between 18 and 19.5 with auto tranny. I think SMG should be even better. VW Passat is very roomy but lack of power on 5 cylinder engine. I was looking to buy one for my wife but it doesn't go.

Also I want to ask, if you are not far away from Leesburg/Reston area, I would like to try your car for throttle response, if I figure you are going sell it anyway.
The commute is every bit of 35 miles ALL on 66 at 8:45am from Haymarket to Arlington. I would NEVER complain about the mpg from mine, I'm averaging about 24, but on premium. The fuel really isn't the problem though, it's more the wear and tear with the SMG and the ever looming threat of a pump failure or water pump failure or something else. When I bought it i was only putting on about 4k miles per year on my cars and mostly on the weekends and NEVER in traffic, so the SMG and fear of repairs was not an issue, now though, it kind of is. The thing is, there is no real upside to the 3, I would still have the same fears of repairs, and less room/H.P. than the 5, soooo....? As for the "throttle response" test drive, maybe once I am sure, but certainly not until then.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 545i Alternative?