E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 will not start, no accessories, not a dead battery...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

I have seen a lot of won't start posts but I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this out of the ordinary one. I've searched and searched but I am not finding this specific problem. In the other posts most cars won't start but still have accessories come on. So my car is an 05 545(no CA just regular old metal key) and it was working just fine until this issue. Yesterday I go to start it and nothing. No crank, no pop, no accesories (radio, idrive, warning lights)nothing. The first thing I did was try to jump it from both under the hood and directly from the battery...still nothing. So I had the battery tested and it is ok. The interior dome and footwell lights come on, so will the parking lights, and I am able to lock and unlock it using the key fob. So as far as i can tell this issue is not the battery. I have also checked EVERY fuse in the car and they are all ok.

Here is a funny thing that may mean something to someone. Normally when the key is in the ignition in the off position and the door is open I hear the door chime and I get the yellow key icon indicating that the key is in the ignition. Now when the key is in and it is in the off position I get nothing, BUT when I turn the key to the on or run position even though it doesn't start I get the door chime and yellow key icon. I have read other posts indicating that it may be a key issue, unfortunately I do not have a spare key so I cant check that. I am planning on ordering one today but if someone can say it is not that it would save some time looking for the wrong thing. My assumption is that I will have to have it towed to the dealer but I would like to have as much info as I can get so that I know exactly what this may cost me. Also so that they don't waste my time and money looking into things that they don't need to look into.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 545
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

******UPDATE*****

Turns out it was the key. I guess at some point the battery inside just stops charging like anything else.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Glad you got it figured out
Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

The key battery has nothing to do with car starting. If the key FOB locked and unlocked the doors, then the battery was fine. More than likely, the security chip in the key died.