E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 vs. 550 performance increase

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

So if I was in a position to choose one over the other I would of course go for the 550?I mean why not (only thinking about performance here?no need to debate price, gas mileage etc)? But if I needed a car today I don?t think I would lose sleep over buying a 545 vs. waiting for the 550. Correct me if I?m wrong but aren?t the gains about 30hp and 30 ft lbs torque over the 545? Sure that?s significant (it?s a 10% increase) and as I?ve said given the choice I would go for the 550 in a heart beat (if they were both sitting in front of me) but what do you think that additional hp/torque is going to do to the performance of the car? A gentle bump in acceleration and speed over the 545 or a big and noticeable bump in performance across the board?

This is all idle curiosity on my part?I love my 545 and it is waaaay more car than I need on a daily basis. In fact I?m thinking about getting a slower commuter car as a daily driver because while I am a fairly controlled driver?I?m hitting a 100+ daily without even really thinking about it (although I now have my speed warning set at 90, so that helps a bit)?I mean I accelerate hard onto the freeway, I look down and I?m at 115?that?s just not good?

**disclaimer**
I don?t swerve in and out of traffic, I?m not an ass behind the wheel?but if there is an open stretch of road?I typically take advantage
Old 02-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:13 PM
So if I was in a position to choose one over the other I would of course go for the 550?I mean why not (only thinking about performance here?no need to debate price, gas mileage etc)? But if I needed a car today I don?t think I would lose sleep over buying a 545 vs. waiting for the 550. Correct me if I?m wrong but aren?t the gains about 30hp and 30 ft lbs torque over the 545? Sure that?s significant (it?s a 10% increase) and as I?ve said given the choice I would go for the 550 in a heart beat (if they were both sitting in front of me) but what do you think that additional hp/torque is going to do to the performance of the car? A gentle bump in acceleration and speed over the 545 or a big and noticeable bump in performance across the board?

This is all idle curiosity on my part?I love my 545 and it is waaaay more car than I need on a daily basis. In fact I?m thinking about getting a slower commuter car as a daily driver because while I am a fairly controlled driver?I?m hitting a 100+ daily without even really thinking about it (although I now have my speed warning set at 90, so that helps a bit)?I mean I accelerate hard onto the freeway, I look down and I?m at 115?that?s just not good?

**disclaimer**
I don?t swerve in and out of traffic, I?m not an ass behind the wheel?but if there is an open stretch of road?I typically take advantage
[snapback]92441[/snapback]
Hitting 100 mph in California? We in Italy believe that, in U.S.A., anybody exceeding the speed limit by no more than 1 mph is immediately tracked down by satellites, chased, guns in hand, by hundred of policemen, marines, swat and CIA agents and packed in steel chains bound to some sort of Alcatraz or Guantanamo. Is it ?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Originally Posted by ML59' date='Feb 20 2005, 11:34 AM
[quote name='ch7656' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:13 PM']So if I was in a position to choose one over the other I would of course go for the 550?I mean why not (only thinking about performance here?no need to debate price, gas mileage etc)? But if I needed a car today I don?t think I would lose sleep over buying a 545 vs. waiting for the 550. Correct me if I?m wrong but aren?t the gains about 30hp and 30 ft lbs torque over the 545? Sure that?s significant (it?s a 10% increase) and as I?ve said given the choice I would go for the 550 in a heart beat (if they were both sitting in front of me) but what do you think that additional hp/torque is going to do to the performance of the car? A gentle bump in acceleration and speed over the 545 or a big and noticeable bump in performance across the board?

**disclaimer**
Hitting 100 mph in California? We in Italy believe that, in U.S.A., anybody exceeding the speed limit by no more than 1 mph is immediately tracked down by satellites, chased, guns in hand, by hundred of policemen, marines, swat and CIA agents and packed in steel chains bound to some sort of Alcatraz or Guantanamo. Is it ?
[snapback]92452[/snapback]
[/quote]

All very true...in fact I'm coming to you right now from Guantanamo / Kidding aside with light traffice and a posted speed of 65mph the fast lane is typically traveling somewhere between 80 and 90
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ch7656' date='Feb 20 2005, 01:44 PM
[quote name='ML59' date='Feb 20 2005, 11:34 AM'][quote name='ch7656' date='Feb 20 2005, 07:13 PM']So if I was in a position to choose one over the other I would of course go for the 550?I mean why not (only thinking about performance here?no need to debate price, gas mileage etc)? But if I needed a car today I don?t think I would lose sleep over buying a 545 vs. waiting for the 550. Correct me if I?m wrong but aren?t the gains about 30hp and 30 ft lbs torque over the 545? Sure that?s significant (it?s a 10% increase) and as I?ve said given the choice I would go for the 550 in a heart beat (if they were both sitting in front of me) but what do you think that additional hp/torque is going to do to the performance of the car? A gentle bump in acceleration and speed over the 545 or a big and noticeable bump in performance across the board?

**disclaimer**
[/quote]

All very true...in fact I'm coming to you right now from Guantanamo / Kidding aside with light traffice and a posted speed of 65mph the fast lane is typically traveling somewhere between 80 and 90
[snapback]92457[/snapback]
[/quote]

What do you risk exceeding speed limits? A fee? To lose your licence? Not to be put in jail, I hope. I'm pretty curious, I'm going to Miami next March, it's better to be informed about local uses.........
Old 02-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 20 2005, 08:40 PM
What do you risk exceeding speed limits? A fee? To lose your licence? Not to be put in jail, I hope. I'm pretty curious, I'm going to Miami next March, it's better to be informed about local uses.........
[snapback]92477[/snapback]
As a tourist you should pay attention to the limits, because they love to stop the tourists. Rental cars are pretty easy to spot, since the most of them have the lights on...
Old 02-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

My job has me traveling and I rarely take a trip where I don't hit 100+ at some point. Never been caught going that fast and am not sure what would happen, as in straight to jail or what. Got a ticket going 92 in a 65, but the officer knocked it down to 85 so I would not have to make the physical trip to court and could pay the fine by mail. I think it was about $225 or something like that. If ticketed going over 25 miles over the speed limit I would have had to appear in court, which was several hours away and appearing in front of a judge :'( . If pulled over be polite and you generally come out okay (ticket in hand, but no cuffs).
Old 02-20-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ML59' date='Feb 20 2005, 01:34 PM
Disinformation -- it's a significant problem in Europe. Perhaps, US law enforcement should live up to the leftist press in Europe and actually do what you propose above (except for the CIA stuff, since it's pretty easy to spot a Euro over here) for a minor traffic violation....

All kidding aside, if the 550i uses the same 4.8l V8 as the new 750i, it will develop 360 hp (vs. 325 hp for the current 545i or 11% more hp) and 360 lb ft of torque (vs. 330 lb ft for the current 545i or 9% more torque) => this will probably increase acceleration by 0.1 sec (still low 5s), a relatively insignificant difference. Mileage for the new engine may drop by up to 9% (since the displacement increased by 9%).
Old 02-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

It is unclear to me how noticeable the extra horsepower and torque would be. I think when you get to a point the gains are really only incremental. And from my drive in the 545 I suspect this is the case, because it already has an awesome feel of power. But I still wonder, and am reluctant to purchase a 545 until I have contemplated this further.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Of course it's cool to have the latest powertrain. Our 4.4 N62B44 has been out since the 02 model year (Sept.2001) in the 745i.

The new 4.8 V8 will be a totally new design, IHMO personally i would wait 2 or 3 years unless i was leasing the 550i in which case i wouldn't care.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Welfare man

HOW MUCH OF A $$$ INCREASE FOR THE 550i?

Quick Reply: 545 vs. 550 performance increase