E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 stalls when going into DRIVE.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, today i was driving my car and everything was just fine. I walked into a store and came out 20 min later, started it up and put it into drive and it stalled. i figured it was a fluke or something so i started it back up and put it back into drive and it stalled again? So, i can keep it in "N" and it dosent seen to stall but as soon as it goes into "D" it will stall within 3 seconds? What could be causing this???

thanks
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributors

what are your RPMs at in N, could the alternator be going? the power of the drivetrain is overwhelming? in park, start that B up and turn on everything... headlights, AC, radio, see if the car struggles for power. better yet do this in a garage, and when you give it a little gas see if the interior/exterior lights brighten and dim as you give it gas...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

put a volt meter on the battery and see where it's at
Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='771737' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:43 PM
put a volt meter on the battery and see where it's at

better yet, put a volt meter on the battery and see if when you give it gas voltage dips instead of spikes. a good alternator will spike voltage to the battery, charging it. a bad alternator will cause the car to draw power from the battery.

by the way that is post #100 all you B's and H's out there. yes I have a life, I am just having a really slow day at work. so do i get a virtual beer or something? maybe its time to contribute???

I am putting myself on the spot.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='771727' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:37 PM
what are your RPMs at in N, could the alternator be going? the power of the drivetrain is overwhelming? in park, start that B up and turn on everything... headlights, AC, radio, see if the car struggles for power. better yet do this in a garage, and when you give it a little gas see if the interior/exterior lights brighten and dim as you give it gas...

i just started it and put ac, radio, seat warmers, defroster, ect on and all it does now is idles around 500-700rpm and every 10 seconds or so the rpm's drop down to around 200 or so!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributors

no errors? when it drops to 200 it doesnt stall? have you done anything electrical to the car recently?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='771741' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:47 PM
better yet, put a volt meter on the battery and see if when you give it gas voltage dips instead of spikes. a good alternator will spike voltage to the battery, charging it. a bad alternator will cause the car to draw power from the battery.

by the way that is post #100 all you B's and H's out there. yes I have a life, I am just having a really slow day at work. so do i get a virtual beer or something? maybe its time to contribute???

I am putting myself on the spot.

Congrats on your 100! welcome to the Centurian club. I'm aiming for the Millennia Maniacs soon. As a Centurian, you'll get more T&A with a forum cling. Click HERE for details!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='771764' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:35 PM
no errors? when it drops to 200 it doesnt stall? have you done anything electrical to the car recently?
dont understand it but there are NO error codes in the idrive.

i forgot to mention also that i did replace the battery with an aftermarket one and maybe once a week i have to jump the car and then it runs fine throughout the day. This is the first time i have had a problem with stalling and low rpm's.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by jeff20578' post='771884' date='Jan 19 2009, 03:44 PM

i forgot to mention also that i did replace the battery with an aftermarket one and maybe once a week i have to jump the car and then it runs fine throughout the day. This is the first time i have had a problem with stalling and low rpm's.

Once a week you have to jump the car? You may very well have an under volt problem, though I'd expect there to be a slew of iDrive warnings. Because you replaced the battery with an aftermarket unit and experiencing low starting voltages requiring periodic jumpstarts, a test of the electrical system may be in order.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jeff20578' post='771884' date='Jan 19 2009, 06:44 PM

Simple problem sounds like. You Have an Very Bad alternator and a Very Good battery. A good battery will charge itself while it sits. You are driving your car and draining your battery, not really bad but enough that you are having to jump it once a week. I would replace that alternator before you need to replace that battery too. Your battery is already getting worse, as it is no longer able to support the load of the drivetrain.

I would throw a voltmeter on that battery, have a friend start the car, leave it in park and rev the engine a little, or rav it (i know, i couldnt let that one die) if your voltage dips, bad alternator. a good alternator with spike voltage when RPMs increase, as it is essentially a generator.

its easy. do it. i bet it is your alternator. i bet if you drove your car on a long trip, it would eventually strand you like when the aliens land (space aliens, not illegal aliens) in the movies.

Quick Reply: 545 stalls when going into DRIVE.