E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I took my BMW 545 to my local dealer today to get some issues dealt with. Here is what I was told:

i. The low vibration at idle with the oscillating tach.

I was offered a software update (I currently have V. 16.2). The chief machanic said he would look at whether this is an issue with my car, or whether all cars built around the same time do this. If this is not resolved, I will not get another BMW when my lease is up because I find it really annoying (well, I might get a 650, never say never.).

ii. My Nav makes a ticking noise.

Dealer told me there is a service bulletin about this, he will replace the Nav screen and DVD.

iii. My steering column occasionally makes a grinding noise, and doesn't go to the original set position.

Will repair.

I hope all this gets dealt with, as my car is only 8 months old.

I think with all the nagging issues, these 5 series are going to take a hit when they come up for resale. At least BMW is making an effort to correct most of the problems. I will keep you updated.

By the way, can you fit a car seat in a 645?
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Aug 12 2005, 06:33 PM

I think with all the nagging issues, these 5 series are going to take a hit when they come up for resale.?

[snapback]158764[/snapback]

My car is 8 months old too and I have serious concerns about reliability and with the 550 coming out, also about resale value further down the road.

The only car I could even compare to the 545i ? the 645i ofcourse.

Dealer trying to rip me off on both the trade in and the new car purchase. so ended up trading it in for a Japanese SUV.

I will look into a 650i for the future possibly ED.

Car seats? the 6 is cozy in the back, Unless you have a baby, toddlers will probaly not even need a car seat.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:28 AM
Members

I just picked up my 05 545i last Sat. I took it on the highway and noticed some shimmy in the steering wheel at 65mph and above. Also, the car shakes at idle with the AC on. Its going in for service on Tues. I hope this car doesn't turn into a nightmare. Anyone else has or had the rough idle problem?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Southpaw80' date='Aug 13 2005, 07:28 AM
I just picked up my 05 545i last Sat.? I took it on the highway and noticed some shimmy in the steering wheel at 65mph and above.? Also, the car shakes at idle with the AC on.? Its going in for service on Tues.? I hope this car doesn't turn into a nightmare.?? Anyone else has or had the rough idle problem?
[snapback]158883[/snapback]

Yes! but don't worry the steering shake will go away when they balance your wheels and the rough idle will be better with a software upgrade.

Great car, don't get upset with minor issues like yours. It won't be a nightmare but for me turned out to be not worth the money and effort I put into the car. The few exhilarating moments the car provides while still staying under legal limits wasn't enough for me to justify it.

But there are a lot of happy members here.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Ken, I've noticed that if I take car out on highway while cold, there's a bit of steering wheel vibration. After it gets warmed up, it feels fine. I noticed the same with my old 745. This may be a common problem but a minor issue. You seem to be describing something a little worse. Was your prob noticed right away or did it start later?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

It's not a steering wheel problem, I think it is a problem with the valvetronic engine. I only notice it at idle when I am stopped. It is more like a low intermittent rumble I can feel in my seat, and it is worse when the tach oscillates down.

I noticed this problem when I first got the car, but then it was intermittent (or maybe I wasn't paying much attention), now I notice it all the time.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Members

I took the car onto the highway today and the shimmy is less noticeable. Maybe the tires developed a slight flat spot during shipping. Now that I've put on more miles, the tires are smoothing out.

Lets hope the new software will fix the rough idle w/AC on.

I am having a hard time modulating the brakes for a smooth stop. Seems there is too much brake assist making the pedal overly sensitive. Anyone with similar observations?

Southpaw80
Old 08-13-2005, 05:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Southpaw80' date='Aug 13 2005, 08:21 PM
I am having a hard time modulating the brakes for a smooth stop.? Seems there is too much brake assist making the pedal overly sensitive.? Anyone with similar observations?

Southpaw80
[snapback]159062[/snapback]
I have not been able to modulate a smooth stop either. In eight months and a recent software upgrade I have tried and tried but always get a jerk at the end of the stop.

Lifting the foot of the brake pedal slowly to prevent the jerk will just not bring the car to a stop. Probably because of the sport pkg and brake assist.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Members

Old 08-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Aug 12 2005, 03:33 PM
I took my BMW 545 to my local dealer today to get some issues dealt with.? Here is what I was told:

i.? The low vibration at idle with the oscillating tach.

I was offered a software update (I currently have V. 16.2).? The chief machanic said he would look at whether this is an issue with my car, or whether all cars built around the same time do this.? If this is not resolved, I will not get another BMW when my lease is up because I find it really annoying (well, I might get a 650, never say never.).

ii.? My Nav makes a ticking noise.

Dealer told me there is a service bulletin about this, he will replace the Nav screen and DVD.

iii.? My steering column occasionally makes a grinding noise, and doesn't go to the original set position.

Will repair.

Is there a bulletin number or post for the DVD nav ticking problem, have the same thing, jsut thought it was normal.? Thanks

I think with all the nagging issues, these 5 series are going to take a hit when they come up for resale.? At least BMW is making an effort to correct most of the problems.? I will keep you updated.

[snapback]158764[/snapback]

Quick Reply: 545 in the shop