E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 saved my life

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad youre ok. This is one thing that nobody takes into account when talking about safety; accident avoidance. A car can be a tank but being able to avoid an accident all together is the best safety feature of all
Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:38 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Jan 30 2005, 05:23 PM']You could have made the lane change w/o touching the brakes at 55MPH. In fact I'm surprised hitting the brakes didn't throw the car more off balance.
[snapback]84936[/snapback]
With ABS, you can press on the brake pedal with sudden, extreme force and still steer the car fine. Don't be afraid to jam the brakes thinking you won't be able to control it. It's kind of a weird sensation with the ABS pulsating(you can hear it as well as feel it) and you still steering the car, just keep holding the pedal down, if necessary (don't pump the brakes because you'll lose the ABS). I did it in my Honda Odyssey and believe me, it absolutely helped me avoid an accident. I'm sure the E60 would do much better in more extreme conditions.
[snapback]84952[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is somewhat true, but I'd avoid jamming the brakes because even with DSC, if your at high speeds, your back end can fly out quite easily, and unless YOU know how to recover quickly....forget it. It depends on the conditions too of course. DSC is very good, but not perfect. Especially at high speeds. Nobody, even BMW, claims it is. Slamming on brakes + changing directions = dangerous - DSC or not. Slamming on the brakes and steering straight is less so.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:14 PM
[quote name='Jimbo' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:38 PM'][quote name='urbo73' date='Jan 30 2005, 05:23 PM']You could have made the lane change w/o touching the brakes at 55MPH. In fact I'm surprised hitting the brakes didn't throw the car more off balance.
[snapback]84936[/snapback]
With ABS, you can press on the brake pedal with sudden, extreme force and still steer the car fine. Don't be afraid to jam the brakes thinking you won't be able to control it. It's kind of a weird sensation with the ABS pulsating(you can hear it as well as feel it) and you still steering the car, just keep holding the pedal down, if necessary (don't pump the brakes because you'll lose the ABS). I did it in my Honda Odyssey and believe me, it absolutely helped me avoid an accident. I'm sure the E60 would do much better in more extreme conditions.
[snapback]84952[/snapback]
[/quote]

This is somewhat true, but I'd avoid jamming the brakes because even with DSC, if your at high speeds, your back end can fly out quite easily, and unless YOU know how to recover quickly....forget it. It depends on the conditions too of course. DSC is very good, but not perfect. Especially at high speeds. Nobody, even BMW, claims it is. Slamming on brakes + changing directions = dangerous - DSC or not. Slamming on the brakes and steering straight is less so.
[snapback]84962[/snapback]
[/quote]

I really appreciate everyones thoughts and comments, the amazing thing about the car we all drive is that you don't have to be a perfect driver to avoid dangerous situations. My car has the sports package, between active steering and suspension, ABS and DSC even I looked like Mario Andretti with the move I made.
Their is no second guessing when this happens, Thats why I also am gratefull to be able to own this car.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Glad you made it out of the accident and you were not hurt.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Jan 31 2005, 02:33 AM
It did in this case, but not in all cases. Point is you have no idea what DSC will do. Most of the time it's good, but are you that sure?

PS I would have made the lane change w/o touching my brakes?
[snapback]84951[/snapback]
Yes I am that sure. And I know what DSC does, you too, but you don't want to realize, for some strange reason.

I am sure you would have made the lane change w/o touching the brakes... Your a cool guy... And in that case DSC could have been active and you would have done it w/o hitting the brakes to... so what?

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Jan 31 2005, 03:14 AM
[snapback]84962[/snapback]
It is a s perfect as possible.
At high speeds when you jam the brakes the DSC would not let your cars rear fly out easily. When DSC is off, yes, but not when it's on. Did you ever hit the brakes real hard doing 240 Km/h? I did, DSC on, no problems, no oversteering, nothing. And I am no race driver.
Now tell me please, as an experienced driver who knows how to recover the car in oversteering quickly... Why do you turn it off? When it's on, you say, that you can still get in trouble... Well, if you believe that, OK, but with having it off you get in trouble waaay easier and more often!
Slamming on brakes and changing directions is dangerous, I agree. But with DSC you are able to handle it, even if you are not a pro race driver.
I can handle my car at speeds of 170 mph, DSC on or off. And I never have it off when driving on public roads! You shouldn't either. DSC is there, as a standard feature, to make the drive safer. If it would not make it safer, do you really think they would throw it in the car as a standard feature?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Members

To keep this brief and not go off on tangents my point was not one of bravado. I just feel more in control with it OFF. My choice. I don't see the issue. I've driven for quite some time, raced, autocrossed, karted, etc. Most cars never had any of these aids, so that's how I got used to driving. And I don't drive recklessly on the streets ever.

It's just that anytime you slam the brakes while driving at high speeds and making a directional change you are asking for more trouble than not - DSC or not. PERIOD! This is simple, and the mistake most drivers make when panicking. Yes DSC will help some, etc. I'm not arguing that point. All I said is that *I* feel more comfortable with it off, since I can't predict how it will react whereas I KNOW how I will react. Simple and personal choice.

BTW, DSC won't do anything at 170MPH...... You are on your own there. I don't have a place to drive my car at 170MPH to try out if slamming out the brakes with DSC on will be OK. I highly doubt it in fact....
Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Jan 31 2005, 10:19 PM
Most cars never had any of these aids.
But it doesn't hurt having them, that's the point.

It's just that anytime you slam the brakes while driving at high speeds and making a directional change you are asking for more trouble than not? - DSC or not. PERIOD! This is simple, and the mistake most drivers make when panicking. Yes DSC will help some, etc. I'm not arguing that point. All I said is that *I* feel more comfortable with it off, since I can't predict how it will react whereas I KNOW how I will react. Simple and personal choice.
OK, but I still think you should use it, since your driving gets even safer. But if you don't want to... it's your choice. I guess with your experience you are drivign better with it off than most ppl with having it on. But that's not usual. That's just for the rare well trained drivers... Like ppl driving armored cars. They shut off all those systems too.

BTW, DSC won't do anything at 170MPH...... You are on your own there. I don't have a place to drive my car at 170MPH to try out if slamming out the brakes with DSC on will be OK. I highly doubt it in fact....

I didn't tried it at that speed yet, and probably never will. But at 240 Km/h it worked! It kept me right in the correct lane, even when I had to move over to another lane, since the freak in front of me was crashing.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Contributors

I went thru something similar on my preview 525i 2002. I still can not explain how i avoid to hit the guy in the front. I just breaked and my car said, "okay i stop with no problem".
Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Jan 31 2005, 07:13 PM
I went thru something similar on my preview 525i 2002. I still can not explain how i avoid to hit the guy in the front. I just breaked and my car said, "okay i stop with no problem".?
[snapback]85341[/snapback]
Me too. I almost hit a moose in Sweden at ~120 kmh. Frickin BMW stopped on a dime with brakes smoking and CDs everywhere but no loss of control. Once I swallowed my heart again, I continued on my merry way.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Jan 31 2005, 05:38 AM
I'll try to put this to words. My wife and I are on our back from attending the? funeral for the 16 year old son of an employee of ours. A very special guy I might add. Needless to say we were both pretty emotional as we drove on interstate 595 in Ft Lauderdale Fl. The weather was sunny no problem with road conditions. There are 4 lanes I was in the 2nd from the right going about 55mph suddenly my wife yelled look out. From her seat she could see pieces of metal or somthing in the far right lane up ahead. The four cars directly in front of me were all involved in a crash, we were number five. I hit the breaks and changed lanes without looking, I figured hit the car in front or get broad sidded, what a choice. I still have no idea how we avoided being in that accident. The car went from 55mph (approx) to maybe 40mph changed lanes and never lost control. It was like the car was on rails. I heard my tires screech, but the car never lost control. My wife looked at me and said "How did you do that" when I could speak I said " thank you god and thank you BMW". Oh and thank you wife for the heads up. This car is like an All Star athlete, it does stuff normal cars can't.
[snapback]84878[/snapback]
If your 545i is with sport package, i believe the Active steering and Anti Roll System or Dynamic Drive in the EU, saved the day for you!
The active steering will auto correct/ realign car direction in the case of emergency oversteering from swerving action. The ARS maintains stability by cutting body roll.

Did that once to avoid a braking vehicle in front of me and at 60mph no braking, i swore i thought i was going to slam to the safety railing on the freeway on my right, felt a lot of g forces. Bet you did too!

Quick Reply: 545 saved my life