E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

545 owners, what's the thin pipe connected to the exhaust right ti

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the shop to installed my SUPERSPRINT exhaust but found out BMPsesign/SUPERSPRINT did not give me all necessary parts. Therefore, I took the exhaust and go home. They promised will overnight the rest of the parts to the shop today which they should have them by tomorrow.

While my car was on the lift, I noticed there's thin black pipe connect to the right exhaust tip. What's that for? After installed the SUPERSPRINT exhaust, what about the pipe? There seems no where to connect the thin pipe and the stuff looks like some kind of sensor to the SUPERSPRINT exhaust? Will this cause any error message?

I believe anyone installed aftermarket exhaust should aware of this. Any idea?

Thank you.

Kevin
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='572051' date='May 1 2008, 12:23 AM
I was at the shop to installed my SUPERSPRINT exhaust but found out BMPsesign/SUPERSPRINT did not give me all necessary parts. Therefore, I took the exhaust and go home. They promised will overnight the rest of the parts to the shop today which they should have them by tomorrow.

While my car was on the lift, I noticed there's thin black pipe connect to the right exhaust tip. What's that for? After installed the SUPERSPRINT exhaust, what about the pipe? There seems no where to connect the thin pipe and the stuff looks like some kind of sensor to the SUPERSPRINT exhaust? Will this cause any error message?

Thank you.

Kevin
I will try to take picture and post it tomorrow morning.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='572051' date='Apr 30 2008, 09:23 PM

Thank you.

Kevin
I think it's a vacuum line to open and close off one of the mufflers depending upon whether it's cold or not. Usually it would be blocked with a screw or something if it's not in use with the new exhaust. Hope this helps!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='572123' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:31 PM
I think it's a vacuum line to open and close off one of the mufflers depending upon whether it's cold or not. Usually it would be blocked with a screw or something if it's not in use with the new exhaust. Hope this helps!

Correct!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='572123' date='May 1 2008, 02:31 AM
Thank you. So I guess the shop will know how to take care of it after put on my SUPERSPRINT exhaust. As soon as I have the exhaust put on, I will post pictures and sound clip.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

The shop should take care of it

if they have done an e60 before.

If not you can do it yourself.

Some members already take it off

the exhaust and plug it for a slightly

different sound on their exhaust.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GQuK545i' post='572306' date='May 1 2008, 12:25 PM
The shop should take care of it

if they have done an e60 before.

If not you can do it yourself.

Some members already take it off

the exhaust and plug it for a slightly

different sound on their exhaust.

When you said plug it for a slightly different sound on their exhaust, did you mean the OEM exhaust?

I will ask the shops opinion of how to take care of the pipe. But I am pretty sure they did not do any job on an e60 before.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by k Wang' post='572324' date='May 1 2008, 12:56 PM
When you said plug it for a slightly different sound on their exhaust, did you mean the OEM exhaust?

I will ask the shops opinion of how to take care of the pipe. But I am pretty sure they did not do any job on an e60 before.
make sure either they plug it or you do, as you will get a check engine light later if you don't.

the pump for the suction is located in the trunk beneath the tailight, you can pull the pipe back into the trunk (so it won't dangle) and use a golf tee or similar to plug it.

-felix
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

check this out: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53789

It is a DIY for cheap/easy Quad Exhaust installed for non-M5. Very detailed
Old 05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='572370' date='May 1 2008, 01:46 PM
make sure either they plug it or you do, as you will get a check engine light later if you don't.

the pump for the suction is located in the trunk beneath the tailight, you can pull the pipe back into the trunk (so it won't dangle) and use a golf tee or similar to plug it.

-felix

Please forgive my English as it is not my first language.

So from my understanding, after the new exhaust installed, the pipe will be hanging around with the end open to the air since it no longer connected to the OEM exhaust. Therefore, I will definitely need to plug something at the end of the pipe or I will get warning message. Correct?

Quick Reply: 545 owners, what's the thin pipe connected to the exhaust right ti