E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545 gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:17 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:01 AM
[quote name='JDN' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:38 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:20 PM']Good luck to you guys resetting code 20.It may take a few trys to get it right.
Its easy to screw up the procedure and have to start over.It was hard to explain
in a few words but hopefully was enough to get you pointed in the right direction.
[snapback]137182[/snapback]
Color me something -- maybe unlucky. I punched that reset button for about 30 minutes yesterday afternoon with your instructions in my hand. Read them numerous times, but could never get to a scrolling numbers under code 20. I finally learned to lock on until a second set of codes showed underneath code 19, but if I didn't keep punching, I would time out and go back to os temp and time. Got any more clues you could share?
[snapback]137792[/snapback]
[/quote]

when you get to the second set of codes push reset until you get to code 21 on the second set of codes, you will get a third set of codes, go to code 20,this should show you the code thats entered(shoud be 1000 from factory).you then push reset.
this should start the least significant digit scrolling,when you want to select a digit
hit reset.that digit will enter and the next significant digit will scroll.when you get all four digits set you have to hit reset and hold it for about 6 seconds.this will enter the new code.i know it is frustrating and usually takes many tries until you get the hang of it.
[snapback]137874[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thank you for the additonal help. Everything you spelled out works until I get to Code 20 the on the third series of punches. When I get there (I punch past the second Code 19 Lock On) I can't do anything right that will get the four scrolling digits. If I pause, we go back to OS temp and time. If I punch, we go to 21, etc.

I got the battery charger on it now because I have worked at it until the Low Batt showed up. Any more ideas?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:17 PM
[quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:01 AM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:38 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:20 PM']Good luck to you guys resetting code 20.It may take a few trys to get it right.
Its easy to screw up the procedure and have to start over.It was hard to explain
in a few words but hopefully was enough to get you pointed in the right direction.
Color me something -- maybe unlucky. I punched that reset button for about 30 minutes yesterday afternoon with your instructions in my hand. Read them numerous times, but could never get to a scrolling numbers under code 20. I finally learned to lock on until a second set of codes showed underneath code 19, but if I didn't keep punching, I would time out and go back to os temp and time. Got any more clues you could share?
[/quote]

when you get to the second set of codes push reset until you get to code 21 on the second set of codes, you will get a third set of codes, go to code 20,this should show you the code thats entered(shoud be 1000 from factory).you then push reset.
this should start the least significant digit scrolling,when you want to select a digit
hit reset.that digit will enter and the next significant digit will scroll.when you get all four digits set you have to hit reset and hold it for about 6 seconds.this will enter the new code.i know it is frustrating and usually takes many tries until you get the hang of it.
[/quote]
Thank you for the additonal help. Everything you spelled out works until I get to Code 20 the on the third series of punches. When I get there (I punch past the second Code 19 Lock On) I can't do anything right that will get the four scrolling digits. If I pause, we go back to OS temp and time. If I punch, we go to 21, etc.

I got the battery charger on it now because I have worked at it until the Low Batt showed up. Any more ideas?
[snapback]138020[/snapback]
[/quote]

after you get to code 21 and wait for several seconds,when the third menu comes up as you scoll up past code nineteen it shoul d say "lock off'. unless you see this lock off you wont be able to do anything to code 20
Old 06-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Members

i've tried this and i get the menu to show up but i can only scroll through 01-08 and then all over again. what am i doing wrong?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2014 535d M-Sport, sold 2006 530i Olivine Green, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic, Navigation System

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Jun 8 2005, 09:36 PM
I have been recording my gas mileage both manually and as indicated on the computer for about 15,000 miles.? The following graph shows both my manual computation, and the computers computed gas mileage versus the average speed.? The average speed and gas mileage are indicated by the trip computer, and I reset them every time I fill up.

This shows that the computer is about 4% optimistic.? I'll try to reset the the calibration has outlined earlier in this thread, and I'll report back.

[snapback]137814[/snapback]
There was another thread which indicated that several of the members' speedometers were reading over by several mph which could approximately be 4%. Assuming that the purpose of the adjustment procedure in this thread is really to adjust the speedometer to the correct tire diameter, you should also see a decrease in indicated mph and odometer reading as well as mpg. Make sense?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:28 PM
[quote name='JDN' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:17 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:01 AM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:38 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:20 PM']Good luck to you guys resetting code 20.It may take a few trys to get it right.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

after you get to code 21 and wait for several seconds,when the third menu comes up as you scoll up past code nineteen it shoul d say "lock off'. unless you see this lock off you wont be able to do anything to code 20
[snapback]138069[/snapback]
[/quote]
I only saw "lock off" once and I clicked until my thumb went numb--cycling through again and again. When it said "lock off" I got back to OS temp and time and immediately started over again. Never got "lock off" again. I shut down and restarted after turning the ignition off and back on again. Rebooting, I thought. Still no more "lock out." Wonder if my NAV or HUD might be a problem? I put the charger back on and gave up for tonight.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by grease' date='Jun 9 2005, 09:08 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Jun 8 2005, 09:36 PM']I have been recording my gas mileage both manually and as indicated on the computer for about 15,000 miles.? The following graph shows both my manual computation, and the computers computed gas mileage versus the average speed.? The average speed and gas mileage are indicated by the trip computer, and I reset them every time I fill up.

This shows that the computer is about 4% optimistic.? I'll try to reset the the calibration has outlined earlier in this thread, and I'll report back.

[snapback]137814[/snapback]
There was another thread which indicated that several of the members' speedometers were reading over by several mph which could approximately be 4%. Assuming that the purpose of the adjustment procedure in this thread is really to adjust the speedometer to the correct tire diameter, you should also see a decrease in indicated mph and odometer reading as well as mpg. Make sense?
[snapback]138098[/snapback]
[/quote]

I checked the speedometer error before and after I made corrections in code 20.Ididn't see any difference.Indicated 70 is actual 68.However I'm not sure about the odometer.It reads about .9% pessimistic after i made the change,but I don't know if It was always this way.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 9 2005, 09:20 PM
[quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:28 PM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:17 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:01 AM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:38 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:20 PM']Good luck to you guys resetting code 20.It may take a few trys to get it right.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[snapback]138069[/snapback]
[/quote]
I only saw "lock off" once and I clicked until my thumb went numb--cycling through again and again. When it said "lock off" I got back to OS temp and time and immediately started over again. Never got "lock off" again. I shut down and restarted after turning the ignition off and back on again. Rebooting, I thought. Still no more "lock out." Wonder if my NAV or HUD might be a problem? I put the charger back on and gave up for tonight.
[snapback]138101[/snapback]
[/quote]

don't stop at "lock off" continue to code 20.I havn't done this procedure for several months,I will try it again today to see if i can give you any more info.
Also you can do this procedure with the engine running so as to not run down your battery.put seat belt on to get rid of seat belt alarm.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Jun 9 2005, 05:17 PM
[quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 9 2005, 06:01 AM'][quote name='JDN' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:38 PM'][quote name='grogan545' date='Jun 7 2005, 12:20 PM']Good luck to you guys resetting code 20.It may take a few trys to get it right.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

just curious JDN did you ever get into the mileage code to reset.I know the procedure is confusing,but it does work.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 AM
JDN
Contributors

Not yet. I have your instructions down pat and understand. However, I cannot get my set up to react properly. I apologize for not giving you a final report via PM, but fully intend to pursue the project on another day before I finally throw in the towel. I certainly appreciate your thoughtful and helpful PM.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

One of my friends 545iA have a gas mileage at: 11-12 L/100 km... He drives 50/50 motorway/city.

Btw: I know you don't wanna hear this: did a drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm (700 km), 2 days ago, with aveage speed: 120,1 km/h and got 6,5 L/100 km, in my 530dA!

Quick Reply: 545 gas mileage