E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i owners rejoyce! BMW admits to Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='763608' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:03 AM
Gene - where'd you buy your car?
Valencia BMW...????
Old 01-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='763614' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:08 AM
Valencia BMW...????
Was just curious, got mine @ Century West and was wondering if i'd have to battle them for a SW update.
I got my car in Sept 08 and without checking my build date, i'm hoping I have SW that pre-dates lag issues???
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by ITNurse' post='763619' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:13 AM
Was just curious, got mine @ Century West and was wondering if i'd have to battle them for a SW update.
I got my car in Sept 08 and without checking my build date, i'm hoping I have SW that pre-dates lag issues???

Had my service done at center in Sherman Oaks tho..I might just bite the bullet and drive up to Valencia for my next service....
Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Any one gotten the update yet? It may be out according to some E90 drivers, but Many of the BMW dealers are saying there is nothing wrong with the cars and are refusing to the the update even after the TSB from BMW NA information has been provided.

I see if I can dig up the relevant info. I think it was from Nov or early Dec.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i - Carbon Metallic Black, Black Nasca Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim. Sport auto step w/ paddles, M Sport package (M aero package, M steering wheel, M sport suspension, anthracite roof liner, 18" M135 wheels), Premium package (comfort seats, heated F/R ventilated F seats, Logic 7, PDC.

So after a long period of lurking/reading/learning around here, I've finally decided to post.

I was in for my first warranty service last week, and decided to complain about the greatly-discussed turbo lag. I have a 12/07 production 535i, so I fall right into the production range of the eligible cars. I provided my SA with the BMW North America statement, logged an official service complaint as "turbo lag", and he said that they would gladly update my software to the newest version.

Anyhow, I've had my car back for a few days with version 33.006 (according to my SA - I didn't see the printout). He said that was the newest version for my car, released to them in March 2009.

The car is even better now, with a very noticeable difference in engine response! There is definitely less turbo lag - the car pulls much stronger at lower rpm in all gears, right from 1500rpm and up. Before the update, my car was not that responsive in the 1500 rpm range, which I usually avoided by keeping my engine speed above 3000rpm with my SAT paddles. As for the increased engine noise that is supposed to occur with the update, I can't say for sure if there is an increased decibel level - perhaps very slightly, but not something that I noticed immediately, and more importantly, not something my wife complained about either.

I didn't perceive much difference in the car's behaviour above 3500rpm at wide open throttle.

Further, I can't speak about any improvement in the transmission slam issue, as I drive with my paddles in DS manual mode 99% of the time.

I'd make this a priority for the next service visit for all 535 members here. Hope that helps!
Will.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Str8n'em' post='832176' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:20 PM
So after a long period of lurking/reading/learning around here, I've finally decided to post.

I was in for my first warranty service last week, and decided to complain about the greatly-discussed turbo lag. I have a 12/07 production 535i, so I fall right into the production range of the eligible cars. I provided my SA with the BMW North America statement, logged an official service complaint as "turbo lag", and he said that they would gladly update my software to the newest version.

Anyhow, I've had my car back for a few days with version 33.006 (according to my SA - I didn't see the printout). He said that was the newest version for my car, released to them in March 2009.

The car is even better now, with a very noticeable difference in engine response! There is definitely less turbo lag - the car pulls much stronger at lower rpm in all gears, right from 1500rpm and up. Before the update, my car was not that responsive in the 1500 rpm range, which I usually avoided by keeping my engine speed above 3000rpm with my SAT paddles. As for the increased engine noise that is supposed to occur with the update, I can't say for sure if there is an increased decibel level - perhaps very slightly, but not something that I noticed immediately, and more importantly, not something my wife complained about either.

I didn't perceive much difference in the car's behaviour above 3500rpm at wide open throttle.

Further, I can't speak about any improvement in the transmission slam issue, as I drive with my paddles in DS manual mode 99% of the time.

I'd make this a priority for the next service visit for all 535 members here. Hope that helps!
Will.

but if you are pre 29.2 9 (the pre-turbo lag software)...it might be in your best interest just to keep that software if you are thinking of/planning on running a piggy back tune....pre 29.2 does not have tuner detection software so you have no worries in throwing a manipulation code and voiding your warranty.....as most piggyback tunes incorporated the lag fix into their products as well

or you can get the newest SW upgrade and just invest in a bavarian tool as well to clear any manip/warranty codes if you are going run a tune...

either way...

glad to hear the newest SW version has addressed the problem..or so it seems, what dealership did you go to? your location?

and to the forum str8n'em
Old 04-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i - Carbon Metallic Black, Black Nasca Leather, Dark Bamboo Trim. Sport auto step w/ paddles, M Sport package (M aero package, M steering wheel, M sport suspension, anthracite roof liner, 18" M135 wheels), Premium package (comfort seats, heated F/R ventilated F seats, Logic 7, PDC.

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='832199' date='Mar 31 2009, 05:52 PM
but if you are pre 29.2 9 (the pre-turbo lag software)...it might be in your best interest just to keep that software if you are thinking of/planning on running a piggy back tune....pre 29.2 does not have tuner detection software so you have no worries in throwing a manipulation code and voiding your warranty.....as most piggyback tunes incorporated the lag fix into their products as well

or you can get the newest SW upgrade and just invest in a bavarian tool as well to clear any manip/warranty codes if you are going run a tune...

either way...

glad to hear the newest SW version has addressed the problem..or so it seems, what dealership did you go to? your location?

and to the forum str8n'em
Thanks for the welcome Gene!
I wasn't planning on any piggy back tunes, so I'll be ok. Dinan S2 if anything.
I'm in Canada. My dealership is Brian Jessel in Vancouver.
W.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='724440' date='Nov 18 2008, 04:57 PM
The Fog is finally clearing for all the N54 owners ( at least with march 08 or earlier builds) over the " non existent" lag from the newer DMS software (29.2+) .

Read the press release.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/18/bmw-fin...pdate-software/

We all need to thank the E90post.com turbo users for Finally getting the BMW CCA to investigate , and "Leverage" BMW with a threat to release all the info and complaints about the software in January's Roundel. That seemed to do the trick.

Not every one will be happy , since it only addresses the 08's up to March build ( new ECU version rev81 starts here), and some people still want the Waste gate rattle fixed AND the original lag free turbos...

At least it is a first step in the right direction.

Why rejoice? Its not like BMW is going to do anything about it for you and your current car.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='833022' date='Apr 1 2009, 10:57 AM
Why rejoice? Its not like BMW is going to do anything about it for you and your current car.
would you say that if you were in a 535i and knew/felt this problem...doubt it...

and as stated by str8n'em...seems it has been addressed/resolved....

GL with the HPFP bigbadbull
Old 04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='724525' date='Nov 18 2008, 07:56 PM
I bought my 550i based in part (small part, really) on my test drives of 535i and noted slight turbo lag under certain conditions. I reported my experiences here which resulted in severe ridicule etc. by owners. Ho hum.
Cal
+1. 535 has better bang for your buck (99% of the 550's performance at a lower price) but, to me, there's no substitute for cubic inches.

Quick Reply: 535i owners rejoyce! BMW admits to Turbo Lag