E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

Once this "oil leak" problem is fixed do plan to try to talk to the service manager, but they'll get a letter regardless.

When I did my "dealer" research last year Global Imports did not have nice reviews on the local message boards. Both the United BMW dealers did have.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='558546' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:46 AM
Damn 18,000mls on an Aug. 08 build ........anyway gald to know it got sorted before any damage was done.
Still though, I wonder if this is a random leak or is there a potential problem brewing with all the 535s

Aug 08 hmmmm prebuild miles...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Members

Resolution of the oil leak - the SA called and indicated that the oil pan drain plug was leaking. When the tech changed the oil the new washer did not properly seal and oil was leaking around the drain plug. Well at least it wasn't one of the parts that were involved with the previous oil leak problem.

As for the drain plug leaking - I have changed oil in many cars - my own and when working in a gas station while in high school - never had this happen and I always wiped the oil drain area off and then checked for leak. I'm sorry but my confidence is shaken with the ability of the "tech" to do a quality job. It is hard for me to believe the washer was replaced with a new one and/or the area wasn't checked for leaks before the car was released.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='570690' date='Apr 29 2008, 07:56 AM
A follow up to my oil leak problem (April 9th) ? when I picked the car up I learned it was the oil line from the oil filter to oil cooler than had been replaced. So I drove home (about 10 miles) and stopped out in driveway to take a look at the engine. Yes, I could see the new oil line coming off the oil filter and snaking down into the depths in front of the engine. When I looked under the car I saw a significant amount of oil dripping from the engine area. In the couple of minutes I spent looking at the engine enough oil had leaked out to start a small stream running down my driveway.

As you can imagine I was just a little upset ? back to the dealer?s (United BMW of Roswell, Ga). Calling enroute I got a SA (my original SA had left for the day ? it was at closing time), told him the problem. I insisted on bringing it in and getting another loaner car.

The next day I was told that the oil cooler was leaking and had to be replaced. Hummm?. Strange how a perfectly fine part develops a leak after a new oil line was attached to it. Anyway it took across the weekend to have the oil cooler part shipped in and replaced.

When I got home I verified that there were no leaks. The next week, April 18th, I placed a call to the Service Manager and left a voice message. My intent was to point out the unusual circumstance of one part replacement causing an adjacent part to fail. I did not plan to do anything, but be informative in a nice way. The Service Manager never returned my call.

Guess what? On Sunday, April 27, it is leaking oil again. I don?t know how long as I haven?t cleaned up the kitty litter in the garage (used to absorb the previous oil that leaked), but when I was moving the mower out of the garage I left the car running in the driveway. You can imagine how concerned I was when I noticed about a 3 inch circle of new oil on the driveway where my car had run for about 3 minutes.

So on Monday, April 28, I dropped the car off and got another loaner ? this time it is a POS Enterprise rental car that is scary to drive. The original SA?s comment was ? hummm? this shouldn?t have happened, we?ll get it fixed. He never mentioned I was going to get an Enterprise rental car instead of a BMW loaner or that he apologized on behalf of the service department for this recurring problem.

Hopefully, I?ll find out today what is leaking. I certainly suspect a component that was involved in the repair of the 2 previous oil leaks. I do know one thing ? once I?m sure it is fixed. United BMW of Roswell Georgia is going to get a letter and I will most certainly take my business and recommendations to other friends elsewhere!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='570690' date='Apr 29 2008, 07:56 AM
A follow up to my oil leak problem (April 9th) ? when I picked the car up I learned it was the oil line from the oil filter to oil cooler than had been replaced. So I drove home (about 10 miles) and stopped out in driveway to take a look at the engine. Yes, I could see the new oil line coming off the oil filter and snaking down into the depths in front of the engine. When I looked under the car I saw a significant amount of oil dripping from the engine area. In the couple of minutes I spent looking at the engine enough oil had leaked out to start a small stream running down my driveway.

As you can imagine I was just a little upset ? back to the dealer?s (United BMW of Roswell, Ga). Calling enroute I got a SA (my original SA had left for the day ? it was at closing time), told him the problem. I insisted on bringing it in and getting another loaner car.

The next day I was told that the oil cooler was leaking and had to be replaced. Hummm?. Strange how a perfectly fine part develops a leak after a new oil line was attached to it. Anyway it took across the weekend to have the oil cooler part shipped in and replaced.

When I got home I verified that there were no leaks. The next week, April 18th, I placed a call to the Service Manager and left a voice message. My intent was to point out the unusual circumstance of one part replacement causing an adjacent part to fail. I did not plan to do anything, but be informative in a nice way. The Service Manager never returned my call.

Guess what? On Sunday, April 27, it is leaking oil again. I don?t know how long as I haven?t cleaned up the kitty litter in the garage (used to absorb the previous oil that leaked), but when I was moving the mower out of the garage I left the car running in the driveway. You can imagine how concerned I was when I noticed about a 3 inch circle of new oil on the driveway where my car had run for about 3 minutes.

So on Monday, April 28, I dropped the car off and got another loaner ? this time it is a POS Enterprise rental car that is scary to drive. The original SA?s comment was ? hummm? this shouldn?t have happened, we?ll get it fixed. He never mentioned I was going to get an Enterprise rental car instead of a BMW loaner or that he apologized on behalf of the service department for this recurring problem.

Hopefully, I?ll find out today what is leaking. I certainly suspect a component that was involved in the repair of the 2 previous oil leaks. I do know one thing ? once I?m sure it is fixed. United BMW of Roswell Georgia is going to get a letter and I will most certainly take my business and recommendations to other friends elsewhere!
That's nothing but incompetence on United and their tech's. An oil leak should not be that hard to trace especially the one like you experienced. I would suggest a call the BMW's area rep and a letter to BMWNA expressing your dismay. The Enterprise loaner would be enough to get me going. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:45 AM
Members

Just a follow up to close off this thread. I called and left a second voice message as well as sent an email to the service manager. He did return my call an indicated that he had been out of town and he didn?t have my 1st voice message.

We discussed the series of events and he indicated that he would review these with the service team and get back to me. Well that was 3 weeks ago ? I haven?t heard anything which is not a surprise to me.

For a company who prides itself on customer satisfaction they sure missed the boat with me.