E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535i- long crank & misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08' 535i
Default 535i- long crank & misfire

Hey guys, so last night I went to take my car to meet some friends, going down the highway, I had my cruise set at 65, and all of a sudden it misfires and felt like I hit something, my cruise disengaged, and I have a engine malfunction display on Idrive. I pull over, shut it off, restart it, the engine malfunction is still there. I let it sit a little longer, start it again and it's fine. I drive it home, it's running fine, take it for like a 40 minute ride that night and it's fine. This morning I'm leaving for work, starts fine, I make it halfway down my driveway, and it misfires again, with the engine malfunction message and this time a hard engine light on the dashboard. I shut it off and try to restart it and now it's cranking for a noticeably long time, but does start, it idles kinda rough but not awful, still has the engine malfunction and dashboard light. I just had the hpfp replaced at 144k and I'm at 152k now. (Also all my injectors were done around 140k). To me it sounds like the new hpfp failed, but I'm just wanting other opinions before I call the shop this morning, thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 07:07 AM
New Members

If you can read the codes, clear them, then read again...and it's one specific cylinder, might just be a failing coil pack or spark plug.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by maggasp
If you can read the codes, clear them, then read again...and it's one specific cylinder, might just be a failing coil pack or spark plug.
I don't have a scan tool for a BMW (i need to invest). I drove it a half hour to the shop. It had no power but ran smooth for the most part? Still has the lights apon start up. The shop said it's probably nothing big, seeing my injectors and hpfp are new and I have newer spark plugs and coil packs (previous owner had them done before I bought it just over a year ago). Hopefully I'll here back about it today.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by emonahan33x
Hey guys, so last night I went to take my car to meet some friends, going down the highway, I had my cruise set at 65, and all of a sudden it misfires and felt like I hit something, my cruise disengaged, and I have a engine malfunction display on Idrive. I pull over, shut it off, restart it, the engine malfunction is still there. I let it sit a little longer, start it again and it's fine. I drive it home, it's running fine, take it for like a 40 minute ride that night and it's fine. This morning I'm leaving for work, starts fine, I make it halfway down my driveway, and it misfires again, with the engine malfunction message and this time a hard engine light on the dashboard. I shut it off and try to restart it and now it's cranking for a noticeably long time, but does start, it idles kinda rough but not awful, still has the engine malfunction and dashboard light. I just had the hpfp replaced at 144k and I'm at 152k now. (Also all my injectors were done around 140k). To me it sounds like the new hpfp failed, but I'm just wanting other opinions before I call the shop this morning, thanks!
Had the same exact problem a few months ago and my mileage is 147,000. I had the long crank and the check engine light would not stay off no matter how many times I reset it, the car also suddenly turned off twice while at a light and would misfire constantly when I try to accelerate . My codes said it was the exhaust camshaft sensor but I changed both exhaust and intake sensors and that solved the long crank, check engine light and limp mode. As for the misfire, it was spark plugs, but your problem is most likely the camshaft sensors. Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Bonziat
Had the same exact problem a few months ago and my mileage is 147,000. I had the long crank and the check engine light would not stay off no matter how many times I reset it, the car also suddenly turned off twice while at a light and would misfire constantly when I try to accelerate . My codes said it was the exhaust camshaft sensor but I changed both exhaust and intake sensors and that solved the long crank, check engine light and limp mode. As for the misfire, it was spark plugs, but your problem is most likely the camshaft sensors. Hope this helps.
I heard back from the shop a few days ago and they said I had a blown vacuum canister and vacuum lines, that's at least what put it into limp mode. I have newer coils and spark plugs, but it could still be those, hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow