E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d turbo whisle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sudden whisle appeared, took it in and dealer replaced some pipework, no difference, been in for nearly a week, they found debris in the small turbo so are replacing whole twin turbo assembly, hopefully get it back tommorrow.
Car has only done 26,000 miles and is not remapped. I heard that it was faily common problem about 6 months ago from a mechanic...has anyone else had the same problem?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

When I step on the accelerator hard, it whistles a bit.. but it's been like that from the day I got it.... Not loud; just blended in with the engine's revving sound....

Well, maybe not quite a 'whistling' sound... it's more like a 'szzzzzzz' sound...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Originally Posted by Blunt' post='635066' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:57 PM
Sudden whisle appeared, took it in and dealer replaced some pipework, no difference, been in for nearly a week, they found debris in the small turbo so are replacing whole twin turbo assembly, hopefully get it back tommorrow.
Car has only done 26,000 miles and is not remapped. I heard that it was faily common problem about 6 months ago from a mechanic...has anyone else had the same problem?
My 535d has 57,00 miles and touchwood has been OK so far. Could be the flap covering the turbo which is a known weakness but rare to date...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=55558&st=0
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

I can't hear any whistling sound on my 2005 535d. The car is nice and quiet during normal driving and standing still, but as soon as I release the brake and roll off, there is a heavy deep noise coming from the exhaust. (sounds like them Subraru with the big exhaust). It went quiet again as soon as I use the throttle. Same thing happen when the car is coming to a stop at around 1 to 5 mph. I've asked the dealer to look in to this but they said they couldn't hear anything.

Any idea?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

erm ive had mine remapped........and hear a whistle, but didn't assume that it could be a problem....!

im not 100% on the whistle, but certainly a sound for sure
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Members

Hmmmm Ive just had my exhaust manifold replaced on my 530d, Anyways got car back and im getting a whistling sound its not like a straight whistle it breaks and kicks in again. Its going to the dealer tommorrow HOPE its not the turbo.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

I think the whistling sound is a characteristic of all turbo charged cars.

Frankly, i quite like the sound of it and i don't think its a fault as such, that the sound a turbo charger makes when spooling up. Every turbocharged car whether petrol or diesel that i have driven have that sound. My 525d has been making the faint whistle sound right from day one, its audible only when the windows are down.

However i have had my turbo charger replaced once at barely 12,000kms.
I complained to the dealership about black smoke under hard and sudden acceleration. He advised me that it could be due to impure diesel fuel or if there is oil being leaked into the turbo. I denied there being any impure diesel being filled so he opened up the turbo and found a few drops of oil in it, he mentioned it wasn't really required to change the turbo but if it gave me peace of mind he would so i asked him to go ahead with it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Members

Surprise, surprise, it's not being returned tonight the dealer just brought round a 2 year old 320d while they wait for parts from Germany.

Regarding the whistle, there has always been a slight tubo sound but this dramatically increased over 1/2 a day to such an extent i thought it was the radio!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Poolie' post='635457' date='Jul 29 2008, 05:43 PM
Hmmmm Ive just had my exhaust manifold replaced on my 530d, Anyways got car back and im getting a whistling sound its not like a straight whistle it breaks and kicks in again. Its going to the dealer tommorrow HOPE its not the turbo.

Great news for me got the car back they said when they changed the manifold they forgot to change the gasket silly buggers.

Car is as sweet as a nut now.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Poolie' post='636071' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:38 PM
Great news for me got the car back they said when they changed the manifold they forgot to change the gasket silly buggers.

Car is as sweet as a nut now.

Not no more its started doing it again I really notice it more when im steady on the throttle its not a true whistle it seems to break up. But if i floor it the whistle stays true how it should be Dont want to go back to the dealers! anyone got a idea??? TIA

Quick Reply: 535d turbo whisle