E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d turbo lag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

I have mostly been happy with the performance of my new 535d. The car is a beast and I love it!

However, the turbo boost regulator (?) died a while back and the car drove like a dog. All replaced under warranty but still not right. second visit and they replace a split pipe.

Whenever I put my foot down now, I cannot stop thinking 'is this turbo lag right?'. I am sure it wasn't there when I got the car but cannot tell if I have become complacent with the power already! I am sure there is supposed to be almost no noticeable lag when driving.

Can any 535d drivers tell me if there is a turbo lag still? To test this I put the foot down at 40mph (not enough to kick down) at around 1,400 - 1,800 revs (peak torque) and the car surges off after less than 1/2 second later.

Please, is this normal or do I still have issues with the forced induction in my car?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

did the dealer do a software update as well, if so..do you know what version...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
did the dealer do a software update as well, if so..do you know what version...
I'm not aware that they did, but it was updated to the latest when I got the car about 8 weeks ago.

Do the updates do anything which affects the turbo?
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe
I'm not aware that they did, but it was updated to the latest when I got the car about 8 weeks ago.

Do the updates do anything which affects the turbo?
some say yes...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...47781&page=216

that's the last page of a 216 page thread...i would read backwards as to get the latest info regarding SW version and turbo lag...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
some say yes...

http://www.e90post.c...147781&page=216

that's the last page of a 216 page thread...i would read backwards as to get the latest info regarding SW version and turbo lag...
A theory, but not applicable to me as I have not had a s/w update since I picked up the car. She was behaving but after the 'pressure regulator' went, power was not the same after being replaced.

I suspect hoses are the problem based on other threads, but open to other suggestions!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 LCI 535dA SportEdition 2010

Maybe your car is doing "dpf burning", you can notice little bit lower exhaust sound, car is using higher rpm, and easily noticeable "turbo lag" is also there.

edit. OK that should last max 40km (25miles) if everything is all right.. Is your car doing that also with cold motor?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Members

I am aware of a lag issue which on mine turned out to be a sensor unpluged behind the DPF (or around that area). They plugged it back in, cleared all the faults and BING! car was fine.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bip78
I am aware of a lag issue which on mine turned out to be a sensor unpluged behind the DPF (or around that area). They plugged it back in, cleared all the faults and BING! car was fine.
I am now booked in for Thursday to have this looked at again.

I will ensure they check ALL hoses and DPF as this is not acceptable. They have wifi so will be sat there all day and will keep pestering the tech guys.

cheers for the tips guys!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Members

OK, so went to the garage and they could find no faults. They took it for a drive, and then with me as they could not feel the difference either.

When with the technician, I went through it with him and he agreed, something wasn't right. We then took out another 535d to compare and there was little difference. He agreed that my car's changes were harsher and the turbo did kick in a little later (2-300 rpm).

Unfortunately as he could not find any fault codes he said there is little he could do, but after a little chatting he agreed to have the turbo pipes changed as they are around the age when they go. He also reset the gearbox and that did make the car change more smoothly on the drive back.

I will know if the reset trick made a difference when I drive to work on Monday.

Not overly happy as I remember the car performing differently, but perhaps this is just me getting complacent with the power! Anyone have the number for DMS

Worst case, at least I have new pipes under warranty to last for the next few years!

I'll let you know if the pipes do make a difference in the next week or so when they are changed.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Darron,

How is the performance now? I have just had the pipes replaced on mine but it has not made any difference - still no poer when I put my foot down - only when the big turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm?

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: 535d turbo lag?