E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d - Power loss problem at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008 | 12:21 PM
Members

Hi guys,

I would very much apreciate your help, i?ve just stoped the car and while i was driving at around 2000 rpm the engine started do bounce with several hesitations, the rpm went up and down about 200 or 300 rpm.

Continued to drive and them did it again.

Continued to drive and i realized that when acelerating from about 1.200 rpm there was litlle response, and it seems to be geting worse.

It seems that the car has no power at low rpm...

Turned of the engine and started it after 15 minutes, the problem remais the same.

And i think i heard a woooosh when came of the gas pedal for 2 ou 3 times.

Don?t know what to do...

I?ve a big trip planned to next friday, around 1.200 kms and i?m very worried about the car.

Did someone experienced the same?

What was the problem and how much did it cost to fix (the warranty as expired).

Thanks in advance

Miguel
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I don't have any experience on 535d's, but maybe the other turbo is acting up. Just a thought...
Hope you solve it out
Old 04-22-2008 | 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Miguel' post='566010' date='Apr 22 2008, 03:21 PM
Hi guys,

I would very much apreciate your help, i?ve just stoped the car and while i was driving at around 2000 rpm the engine started do bounce with several hesitations, the rpm went up and down about 200 or 300 rpm.

Continued to drive and them did it again.

Continued to drive and i realized that when acelerating from about 1.200 rpm there was litlle response, and it seems to be geting worse.

It seems that the car has no power at low rpm...

Turned of the engine and started it after 15 minutes, the problem remais the same.

Don?t know what to do...

I?ve a big trip planned to next friday, around 1.200 kms and i?m very worried about the car.

What was the problem and how much did it cost to fix (the warranty as expired).

Thanks in advance

Miguel
Miguel,

I have experienced something similar with my dad's opel (vauxhall) omega 2.5tdi back in 2003. The problem was that the turbo just stopped working. the car wouldnt go over 110 km/h and was burning diesel like crazy. it would not acclerate up hill, and i was hated by everyone on the highway between prague and bratislava.

with that said i belive it only took 2 days to fix and wasnt over US$2,000, but it sounds like your problem is not as serious (hopefully). good luck with your car
Old 04-23-2008 | 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by Miguel' post='566010' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:21 PM
Is it a very intense hesitation ? If you accelerate and go over 2000 RPM, what happens ? Did it happen suddenly ? Is it a chronic problem ?
Old 04-23-2008 | 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by copello' post='566662' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:16 PM
Is it a very intense hesitation ? If you accelerate and go over 2000 RPM, what happens ? Did it happen suddenly ? Is it a chronic problem ?
I was at a stable 2.000 rpm and it happen suddenly, first time it happen was yesterday, it?s not very intense but intense enought to feel the car go back and foward, in everytime it happen i stoped accelarating, but i think that if i kept on pushing it would get worse...
Old 04-23-2008 | 01:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Miguel' post='566682' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:59 PM
I was at a stable 2.000 rpm and it happen suddenly, first time it happen was yesterday, it?s not very intense but intense enought to feel the car go back and foward, in everytime it happen i stoped accelarating, but i think that if i kept on pushing it would get worse...
I've not experienced this on the BMW, but have some experience with Turbo's in general from my Evo forum friends...

I'd say it could be 1 of 3 things.

The first is that you could have either a leak or blown off one of the intercooler hoses. These pipes take the forced air from the turbo and feed it through the intercooler (to cool it) and then into the intake. When this happens the air / fuel mixture becomes very erratic and usually a very rich fuel mixture is used hence the excessive use of diesel. The erratic fuelling will cause the stuttering issue. This is probably the cheapest issue to resolve, however, if it only happens at low rpm (ie when using the smaller turbo and not the larger turbo) then I'd say this is unlikely to be the cause unless the hose problem is where it is connected to the smaller turbo. Any further along the airflow and the problem would be more consistent across the rev range.

Second is a faulty actuator / blow off valve. The actuator controls the boost level in the turbo and the blow off value vents excess pressure past the turbo as part of the boost control. If the actuator has become stuck it could be that the turbo is not being allowed to generate boost properly. You mention a wooshing sound when you come off the throttle, this is the blow off valve opening to release the turbo pressure to prevent turbo stall which is normal, although I've never been able to "hear" it in my BMW whereas the Evo blow off valve sounds like an air tank releasing pressure every time I change gear! The BMW uses a closed ventilation system I believe, so when the blow off valve opens to release the pressure in the turbo housing it is vented into the cars exhaust rather than to open air. I don't know if actuator problems are common on BMW turbos but I think that this would where I place my bet at this point.

Thirdly is a blown turbo. However, I would suggest that this would be significantly noticable in driving. There would be a big difference in low rpm power, followed by a big kick in the back when the larger turbo comes on. Im not too sure if this is likely to be the case, your post mentions hesitation but then also mentions no power at low rpms so difficult to know exactly how the car is driving.

In any case, I would say the problem lies with the turbo setup somewhere and you need to get it looked at before you go on a long journey. Hopefully it's not the turbo, especially as your car isn't that old. How many miles have you covered?

Let us know how you get on.

Barry
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

There are much more things besides the turbo that could be the root of your problem (cam position sensor, throttle sensor, etc). It looks like you are gonna have to bring it in to a service center to get a diagnosis.
Old 04-23-2008 | 03:18 PM
Members

Well...

I?m geting more and more confused, left the car at the dealer first time this morning and when i came to pick it up they told me that they runed all the tests but could not find anything, also checked for everything that could be cheked without starting to disasemble the turbo and samething, all is fine...

They told me to pick up the car and test drive it tonight, i?ve done that and absolutely nothing happened (+-60 km?s / 37 miles). No problem at all...

Bardel and pukka:

Thanks for the comments i think you have it all covered, the car has 70.000 Kms / 43497 miles

What should i do? Start to disasemble the turbo? Don?t really know what to do.

Thank you all, in a time of need i can real feel some support from you guys.

Miguel
Old 04-23-2008 | 06:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Miguel' post='566775' date='Apr 23 2008, 07:18 PM
What should i do? Start to disasemble the turbo? Don?t really know what to do.
I've never heard of a turbo charger with an "intermittent" problem. They either work or they don't - and if they don't then you will definitely notice it. I agree with the earlier post that suggested the blowoff valve - that's where I'd start if I was going to take anything apart.

IMO there is a sensor somewhere that hiccupped. If you're lucky it wont happen again. If it does, you are just going to have to sweat it until it gets bad enough to throw a code for the techs to troubleshoot.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-23-2008 | 09:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dAT //M

Originally Posted by Miguel' post='566010' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:21 PM
The wooosh, it could be one of the hoses from the turbo (to IC?) that leaked. When the dealer messed around with it they could have "fixed" it by puting it together.

But, hey thats the very best scenario. But things like that do happens a lot during development. Not on a production car though. But it could....