E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d exhaust looking funny

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d E60

got passed by an E60 touring today. So followed suit. And I noticed that the exhaust pipes look funny. The right one looks like an exhaust (open pipe) but the left one looks closed on the inside! Looks very cheap and stupid (like those double chrome extenders for on a single pipe)

checked out the license plate and found that it was a 535d so not likely to be a fake exhaust.

So question is, how is that end-part constructed?

The least they could have done is spray it black on the inside (just like all metal work that's visible when driving behind a car)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Members

I noticed this valve on my 330i as well. I figured it was to allow some back pressure when the engine is at low load to improve pick up and the valve opens under load. Just my theory...probably wrong!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Could be a valve, didn't notice a change when accelerating but I was busy doing that too at that moment.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Members

yep it is an actuator controlled valve on the right hand side.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Blunt' post='518806' date='Jan 16 2008, 07:02 PM
I noticed this valve on my 330i as well. I figured it was to allow some back pressure when the engine is at low load to improve pick up and the valve opens under load. Just my theory...probably wrong!
If it's anything like my old TT and A3 3.2's, it's exactly that. Supposed to keep noise down at low revs too, could hear the change more in the TT though for some reason. There were a few mods out there for the Audi's that hold the flap open at all times to improve responsiveness and make the sound a bit meatier but I reckon it's the old placebo effect myself....

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I can confirm that the 535d does have a valve in the left hand pipe.
It is the 530d that has the false pipe!!!!
Usually the 535d's run so cleanly that both pipes are generally the same colour. However, the 530d's (mine included), even those with particulate filters tend to run a bit dirtier, so the difference is quite marked. So I have a dark pipe and a shiny pipe, which, I agree with you, does look cheap.
As the years go on, and the rear box goes rotten (if I keep the car that long), I may be tempted to cut it open and find out if it could do with the application of a large drill through the left pipe!! Has anyone tried it??

Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Interestingly, this is one the BMW mechanical parts that never brakes down..
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I had a muffler break on my old E36 M3 right where the pipes enter the muffler it just cracked and broke. So they will break, but it was a 10 year old car at the time, so how could I be upset? They really do make these cars pretty damn well!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='518917' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:20 AM
Usually the 535d's run so cleanly that both pipes are generally the same colour. However, the 530d's (mine included), even those with particulate filters tend to run a bit dirtier, so the difference is quite marked. So I have a dark pipe and a shiny pipe, which, I agree with you, does look cheap.
As the years go on, and the rear box goes rotten (if I keep the car that long), I may be tempted to cut it open and find out if it could do with the application of a large drill through the left pipe!! Has anyone tried it??

Mike
I have a 525d (LCI - with the detuned 3.0d engine). Do these only work through one of the 2 tail pipes? Mine has done 18k miles now and both tail pipes are spotless - can even see see the original seems inside each pipe - so no sut being emitted at all - certainly no difference in colour of either pipe.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='518917' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:20 AM

Mike
I have a 525d (LCI - with the detuned 3.0d engine). Do these only work through one of the 2 tail pipes? Mine has done 18k miles now and both tail pipes are spotless - can even see the original seams inside each pipe - so no sut being emitted at all - certainly no difference in colour of either pipe.

Quick Reply: 535d exhaust looking funny