E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535d diesel leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

I have been told that my recent problem is not common so thought that owners with 3 litre diesels might find it interesting. Sorry in advance for the length of my story.

Just recently, every now and again, I have smelt diesel in the car, which I did not take too much notice of, but last wednesday whilst on the outside lane of the M4 in DS mode ( only doing 70mph honest!!) heard a 'ding', the engine graphic lit up and the message 'engine fault reduced power mode' (or something like it) appeared. I exited the motorway, stopped in a layby, turned off the engine and phoned the breakdown number. The operator asked that I start the engine, which I did, and I noticed that the message had gone and the engine revved as normal, so it was decided that I continue on my journey. The car would drive ok but as soon as I tried to accelerate even slightly aggressively 'engine fault' would appear. Turning off the ignition would reset everything but the diesel smell in the cabin was getting overpowering. I left the car at a friends house and called the breakdown the next day. When the technician arrived he confirmed there was a diesel leak in the area of injectors 5 and 6 but he could not reach them as they were under the windshield. He reassembled the engine covers etc and I drove to my dealer to get it repaired. The technician said that all 3 litre diesels have the same injector set up and he had not yet come upon any with leaks and that the engines were usually very reliable. I was told that injectors 5 and 6 are served by a common pipe and that the joint ( a Y joint? ) had sprung a leak.

As I had lost my 'eyebrow' lights last december with a gearbox software upgrade I asked that it be sorted while they had the car. I dont know what software version I now have but I have 'eyebrows' again and the gearbox operation is now as it should be ( excellent, very sharp and crisp as it was when I first got the car ) changing down with no hesitation.

Hope nobody has any diesel leak problems.

The worst sound is hearing the 'ding' when you are at speed.

peter