E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

535 D

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW 535d

Multi-Stage Diesel EngineTechnology in the new BMW 535d Sedan
Starting in autumn 2004, BMW will once again be writing history in the world of diesel technology: With the introduction of multi-stage turbocharging in the new BMW 535d Sedan and Sports Wagon, BMW will be re-defining the top end in the segment of sporting and luxurious diesel cars offering an unpre?ce?dented synthesis of dynamic performance, all-round efficiency, and en?vironmental care.
Both the Sedan and the Sports Wagon have maximum output of 200 kW/272 bhp. Their maximum torque of 560 Nm or 413 lb-ft comes at 2,000 rpm, with a significant 500 Nm/369 lb-ft being available from just 1,500 rpm. This excep?tional power is provided by two-stage turbocharging, a technology featured for the first time on a production car engine and so far only seen with high-performance marine drive systems. Presenting this technology for the first time in a production car, BMW?s en?gineers are overcoming the historical conflict of interest between the ?turbo lag? when accelerating from low engine speeds and the availability of high power reserves on fast roads such as the Autobahn. BMW multi-stage turbocharger technology first pre-compresses intake air in the first turbocharger before the air is further compressed in the second charger through a multi-stage process. Then, under maximum pressure of 2.85 bar, the intake air flows through an intercooler directly into the com?bus?tion chambers where the enhanced cylinder charge ensured in this manner significantly boosts engine output from an unchanged 3.0 liters by 40 kW/54 bhp versus the ?basic? engine of the BMW 530d already acknowledged as very dynamic with its maximum output of 160 kW/218 bhp.

The spontaneous way this power is developed is at least as remarkable as the performance and output data as such, the BMW 535d accelerating to 100 km/h in just 6.6 seconds.

This exceptional spontaneity in the response of the engine is ensured by the second compression stage, the high standard of efficiency ensuring a quick build-up of turbocharger pressure from low engine speeds. Then, once the engine has reached higher speeds, the second turbocharger stage cuts in to provide an ongoing surge of power all the way to the maximum level. This broadens the useful engine speed range versus the turbocharged diesel engines generally in use today by 500 rpm to a maximum speed of 4,800 rpm, contributing significantly to the engine?s sporting character.

BMW multi-stage turbocharger technology comes exclusively in combination with six-speed automatic transmission as well as high-performance 17-inch brakes ensuring appropriate deceleration and stopping power whenever re?quired. Despite its much more sporting and dynamic character, the power unit fea?tured in the BMW 535d remains a model example in terms of efficiency and modest fuel consumption. This is therefore a particularly good example of how supreme dynamics may by all means be combined with the responsible use of energy resources, without one factor precluding the other.

Given this kind of superior technology, it almost goes without saying that the new engine complies with the demanding EU4 emission standard. Yet a furth?er point is the introduction of a particle filter as a standard feature on the BMW 535d.

The market price of this exceptional car will be announced shortly before its introduction into the market scheduled for autumn 2004.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

What do you think they'll be charging in the UK. My guess is around ?35k, not cheap.

Where are those EuroIV compatible tuning chips?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

I would think they could only charge an extra ?1200-?1500 as its only an extra turbo attached to the engine i should think ?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 AM

The Dutch price was about 5K higher, exclusive taxes.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

That was me. Forgot to mention that it looks to inlcude an auto box and larger brakes which justifies some of the additonal costs.

I heard that it acclerates so hard, when it reaches it's top speed limiter at full throttle, it will literally throw you forward
Old 07-02-2004, 12:52 AM
Members

That's the way to go. At least you can get the M5 fun factor and spend less on fuel. Anyone with current information??? Can't wait.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:57 AM
Senior Members

17 inch brakes????
Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Members

That got be thinking too That would be in the monster brake category!! Guess with 520Nm behind your back at just 2000rpm, you'd need some bigger brakes from rear ending folks.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Front brakes on mine is 13.7 inch. Bigger than on my previous car ( E39 M5 )!

I think they mean 17 inch wheels!?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

I think they mean 17" wheels and larger brakes, but not 17" brakes. The new M5 only has 14's.

I'm realy wanting this one.

Quick Reply: 535 D