E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530xi N52 Traction control issue.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: R53 Cooper S
Default 530xi N52 Traction control issue.

hey guys,

My 06 530xi wagon has its traction control constantly kick in on any mild acceleration above 40mph. Half throttle will trip the traction control to constantly activate. It feels specifically like one wheel, but its possible its more than one that is activating DSC. I replaced the front right abs wheel speed sensor, inspected the tone ring on the axle, cleaned off any debris that was present in there, and my issue still continues.

I'm a technician for an Audi dealership, and unfortunately I do not have access to a scan tool that can help me diagnose this problem. Though there are not any generic faults stored. The car has winter tires on it currently, recently I replaced the front tires with a different michelin winter tire than the rear about two weeks before this started, but they are the same size and height, I don't believe that a speed rating on a tire would cause this. I think its just a coincidence.

Was wondering if anyone has seen any problems like this, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Welcome to the group.

If the circumstance is the same on all four, that shouldn't be the problem. An inexpensive approach for a code reader for BMW specific error codes, with a smart phone app, is Carly for BMW, available through your phones App Store and the OBD wireless connector through Amazon. Carly has a good reputation around here for diagnostics and some coding, check it out and Good Luck...
Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 AM
New Members

My Ride: R53 Cooper S

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
Welcome to the group.

If the circumstance is the same on all four, that shouldn't be the problem. An inexpensive approach for a code reader for BMW specific error codes, with a smart phone app, is Carly for BMW, available through your phones App Store and the OBD wireless connector through Amazon. Carly has a good reputation around here for diagnostics and some coding, check it out and Good Luck...
Hey thanks for the reply,

Does it have capability to connect to other modules in the car besides the ecu? To diagnose this, Id want to connect to either ABS or the DSC module and read each wheels speed to determine which wheel is recieving the errorous reading.

Bavarian Technic Software - Products for sale

is another option, but they are wildly expensive when you compare it to Ross Tech's audi cable, VCDS.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Yes it has the capability to go into most modules. With my 05 530i, the Carly App detects 36 modules for diagnostic / coding capabilities. Here's a link to the site: Carly for BMW - The Most Powerful BMW App Solution

Yea the BAV product is pricey.

Other option is ISTA, NCS, NCSEXPERT and a number of other PC laptop based software.

Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 03-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530XI

Felt the radiator hoses and what I expect are the heater hoses after a 25 minute drive. They were hot, but not as hot as I would expect. Also noticed my oil cooler is leaking... Dammit.

Search this Thread