E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530xi last minute confirmations

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knubblo,

I also live with snow for 5-6 months per year. In my family we have rwd, fwd and awd. I have to say that rwd really works well in this climat with STUDS. With this setup I enjoy a comfortable and safe drive all winter.

The newer BMW:s have fantastic traction control!
Old 05-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;

Knubblo,

Sorry, my post was not aimed as an insult to you or your driving skill but mor at the constant complaint from others that a BMW is a terrible winter driving vehicle that should be put in the garage at the first sign of a snowfall and then not removed until the spring thaw. If I had a dime for every time some one questioned the sanity of bying a real wheel drive vehihical in a climat that had snow I would be rich. Actually I complimented the creation of things like traction control and four wheel drive. My compaint is really with those constantly harping on BMWs being a terrible winter car.

Again, sorry if you took it as a slam against you.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Members

knublo: go for xi.
i ordered a 530xi, and will pick up july by ED. although i live in bay area, CA, it never snow here, i need it in winter when driving to tahoe snowboarding. besides snow, xi helps when driving in the rain and slippery surface as well. i've been waiting for this xi for a while and almost went to Audi and MB. IMO, xi worth the extra $. let us know you decision and good luck !
Old 05-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

We also have snow, sometimes, half of the year. 530d with studed witer tyres is easy to handle and DSC takes care of those "oops" moments. IF you don't come to corner like daredevil. If You drive whole time country roads covered with ice, then take studs. If You drive in city 90% then I would not take studs.

Skaffa
Old 05-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fleetwoodboy' date='May 29 2005, 02:55 AM
knublo: go for xi.
i ordered a 530xi, and will pick up july by ED. although i live in bay area, CA, it never snow here, i need it in winter when driving to tahoe snowboarding. besides snow, xi? helps when driving in the rain and slippery surface as well. i've been waiting for this xi for a while and almost went to Audi and MB. IMO, xi worth the extra $. let us know you decision and good luck !
[snapback]134174[/snapback]
Hi,

The decision is taken. It will be the 530xi. Why?

1) Overall increased traction control
2) In the event of getting stuck AWD outperforms RWD/FWD by far
3) The rapidly increasing trend of cars fitted with AWD.
4) It did not add too much to the price to have AWD compared to RWD.
5) The 530xi will not be as common as the 530i which would build my ego just a little bit

Btw, I don't think BMW nor any other car manufacturing company produce AWD just for the fun of it, there is a consumer need. Look at the competition from Audi, Volvo, Volkswagen, Ford, MB etc. They all offer AWD.
I believe AWD to be a standard feature in about 15 years. Volume of AWD systems will by then have such a competitive cost that it will make sense to install it as standard.

When traction control systems such as BMW DSC, Volvo DSTC became options insurance companies could see the benefits right away, i.e. cars fitted with stability supporting systems came out better in all statistics. Now, stability systems are standard in most any car. I think the same will go for AWD.

/Knubblo

P.S.
The car will go on order with the following specs:
Total price MSRP ~ $71.000, actual netprice ~ $65.000 (almost 9% off)

Silvergrey, Comfort seats, black leather, Xenon, PDC, xtended AC, 18" 124 rims, HiFi system, skisack with foldable seats, heated backseats, CC, heated sport steering wheel, Steptronic, Shadowline, auto sunblinds rearwindow, Radio pro, etc.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:14 AM
Members

Just to clear things up, what i said earlier about the 5 not having total control, i was driving in a blizzard sort of situation which i shouldnt have done. There was atleast 10 cm or more snow on the far left lane, it was almost covered in snow, which made the highway look like a two lane highway. Any of you living in toronto would know the day i am talking about, i believe it was sometime in february. 5 has an amazing traction control, i actually prefer to drive the 5 over the jeep because it just handles amazing on icy/snowy conditions on normal roads. However, that was one time thing what happened to me, and im sure that woulda happened to any car. So overall, getting the 530Xi is only needed if your going to be driving in real heavy snow fall seasons only. In rain, i dont think it will be necessary since the 530i handles amazing on almost every type of weather. No matter what type of weather it was, i always drove the 5 since i felt the safest in it. Jeep imho is the most unsafe suv on earth.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='May 29 2005, 08:20 AM
[quote name='fleetwoodboy' date='May 29 2005, 02:55 AM']knublo: go for xi.
i ordered a 530xi, and will pick up july by ED. although i live in bay area, CA, it never snow here, i need it in winter when driving to tahoe snowboarding. besides snow, xi? helps when driving in the rain and slippery surface as well. i've been waiting for this xi for a while and almost went to Audi and MB. IMO, xi worth the extra $. let us know you decision and good luck !
[snapback]134174[/snapback]
Hi,

The decision is taken. It will be the 530xi. Why?

1) Overall increased traction control
2) In the event of getting stuck AWD outperforms RWD/FWD by far
3) The rapidly increasing trend of cars fitted with AWD.
4) It did not add too much to the price to have AWD compared to RWD.
5) The 530xi will not be as common as the 530i which would build my ego just a little bit

Btw, I don't think BMW nor any other car manufacturing company produce AWD just for the fun of it, there is a consumer need. Look at the competition from Audi, Volvo, Volkswagen, Ford, MB etc. They all offer AWD.
I believe AWD to be a standard feature in about 15 years. Volume of AWD systems will by then have such a competitive cost that it will make sense to install it as standard.

When traction control systems such as BMW DSC, Volvo DSTC became options insurance companies could see the benefits right away, i.e. cars fitted with stability supporting systems came out better in all statistics. Now, stability systems are standard in most any car. I think the same will go for AWD.

/Knubblo

P.S.
The car will go on order with the following specs:
Total price MSRP ~ $71.000, actual netprice ~ $65.000 (almost 9% off)

Silvergrey, Comfort seats, black leather, Xenon, PDC, xtended AC, 18" 124 rims, HiFi system, skisack with foldable seats, heated backseats, CC, heated sport steering wheel, Steptronic, Shadowline, auto sunblinds rearwindow, Radio pro, etc.
[snapback]134213[/snapback]
[/quote]
nice choice bro but for the snow go with max 17"
Old 05-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Members

[snapback]134213[/snapback]
[/quote]
nice choice bro but for the snow go with max 17"
[snapback]134326[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, will do. The 18" 124 rims are for summertime, even if it short. I will order the 17" 138 rims for the slightly longer winter.

/Knubblo

P.S.
Seems to me that there is some tension in certain topics, e.g.

1) Old 530i with 231 hp vs new 530i with 255 hp
2) 530i vs 530xi

Old 05-30-2005, 12:15 AM
NES
Members

Ego Boost? I'll Take it!!