E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530xi last minute confirmations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Two weeks ago I was just about to order my 530i but at the time the retailer launched a very competitive introduction deal for the 530xi. Basically, it gave me 18" 124 rims and the 4WD for just $900 more than the standard fitted 530i.

I have not driven any of the BMW X3 or X5 so I do not know the "quality/capability" of the x-system so I would like to pass on a few questions before I head out to my retailer on Monday to make my decision...

1) I would need a set of winter tyres. I would like the 17" 138 wheels. Would I need winter tyres with studs for a 4WD car or is it enough with winter tyres?

2) Is the turning circle wider with a 530xi vs 530i ?

3) Is the 530xi not as agile as the standard RWD version. I mean fun and good to drive?

4) Any other topic that you think I should consider before taking my decision?

P.S.
If you have any relevant links reviews / test drives of the 530xi please point me in the right direction. (I have already read the Canadian review...). Better mention that I live in Europe as well.

/Knubblo
Old 05-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

I can't help on the xi question, but don't leave out adaptive xenons or HUD they are extremely useful extras.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='May 27 2005, 06:49 PM
Hi,

Two weeks ago I was just about to order my 530i but at the time the retailer launched a very competitive introduction deal for the 530xi. Basically, it gave me 18" 124 rims and the 4WD for just $900 more than the standard fitted 530i.

I have not driven any of the BMW X3 or X5 so I do not know the "quality/capability" of the x-system so I would like to pass on a few questions before I head out to my retailer on Monday to make my decision...

1) I would need a set of winter tyres. I would like the 17" 138 wheels. Would I need winter tyres with studs for a 4WD car or is it enough with winter tyres?

2) Is the turning circle wider with a 530xi vs 530i ?

3) Is the 530xi not as agile as the standard RWD version. I mean fun and good to drive?

4) Any other topic that you think I should consider before taking my decision?

P.S.
If you have any relevant links reviews / test drives of the 530xi please point me in the right direction. (I have already read the Canadian review...). Better mention that I live in Europe as well.

/Knubblo
[snapback]133799[/snapback]
do you need really 4wd???

I mean with 60K you do not go off-roading do you, I never trusted the Audi's quatro .... either, but if you wish go for it, definitely take Xenons adaptive, Winter pack -if it is not standard, comfort seats, Logic 7, sun blinds, for Xdrive I wud only go for touring some day...why you need it? just curious.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Members

[/quote]

I mean with 60K you do not go off-roading do you, I never trusted the Audi's quatro .... either, but if you wish go for it, definitely take Xenons adaptive, Winter pack -if it is not standard, comfort seats, Logic 7, sun blinds, for Xdrive I wud only go for touring some day...why you need it? just curious.
[snapback]133817[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

We have winter time = snow about 4-5 months during the year. I have not driven advanced RWD cars like BMW incorporating DSC etc. so my experience from standard RWD cars in snow/ice = skidding and difficult to get the car in motion.
I have two friends with BMW's (one 320iT and one 330Ci). Their opinion is that their cars are somewhat difficult to handle during wintertime, however not saying impossible, just somewhat difficult. So with the competitive offer for 4WD I assumed that I wouldn't have to experience any skidding and starting problems but perhaps it is just a waste of money anyway?
Old 05-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Knubblo' date='May 27 2005, 08:08 PM

[snapback]133817[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

We have winter time = snow about 4-5 months during the year. I have not driven advanced RWD cars like BMW incorporating DSC etc. so my experience from standard RWD cars in snow/ice = skidding and difficult to get the car in motion.
I have two friends with BMW's (one 320iT and one 330Ci). Their opinion is that their cars are somewhat difficult to handle during wintertime, however not saying impossible, just somewhat difficult. So with the competitive offer for 4WD I assumed that I wouldn't have to experience any skidding and starting problems but perhaps it is just a waste of money anyway?
[snapback]133823[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK so up in the North???

in this case yes please go for the Xi you will not regret it I have driven my friends X3 it is cool in the winter essential, post pix when you have it, then also go for a nice color for winter silver grey or titanium silver,
or camouflage-ALPINE WHITE

get Continental winter ts810 YESSS you need the winter tyres and it will be like a normal e60 for handling except in the winter I cannot use mine -except for drifting but for you it will be cool.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Members

OK so up in the North???

in this case yes please go for the Xi you will not regret it I have driven my friends X3 it is cool in the winter essential, post pix when you have it, then also go for a nice color for winter silver grey or titanium silver,
or camouflage-ALPINE WHITE

get Continental winter ts810 YESSS you need the winter tyres and it will be like a normal e60 for handling except in the winter I cannot use mine -except for drifting but for you it will be cool.
[snapback]134046[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi.
Thanks for your reply. About the tyres...would I need studs or would regular winter tyres with rubber only, be ok with a 4WD?

/Knubblo
Old 05-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Members

When its snowing real bad, its impossible and TOOOO Dangerous to drive on the highway with the 5 series imho. I almost got crushed between a damn truck and still got the goosebumps. The car seemed like it had no more auto handling left , because it kept skidding to the right lane where the trucks were passing by. 7 series on the other hand is pretty impressive compared to the 5. But 7 series comes nowhere near the 5 in driving enjoyment. So if you have to drive in the snow and all, you should get the Xi and the snow tyres.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' date='May 28 2005, 06:22 PM
When its snowing real bad, its impossible and TOOOO Dangerous to drive on the highway with the 5 series imho. I almost got crushed between a damn truck and still got the goosebumps. The car seemed like it had no more auto handling left , because it kept skidding to the right lane where the trucks were passing by. 7 series on the other hand is pretty impressive compared to the 5. But 7 series comes nowhere near the 5 in driving enjoyment. So if you have to drive in the snow and all, you should get the Xi and the snow tyres.
[snapback]134075[/snapback]

Ok, I think I am convinced. But what about studs. Is that really necessary for a 4WD? I do recognize the need for studs on a RWD or a FWD car during winter but since the cost (and the extra noise) that comes with it I do not want it if I do not need it.

/Knubblo
Old 05-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Premium PKG, Automatic, Cold Weather PKG, Xenon Headlights, Sat Prep;

To be honest with you I think all the negatives about driving rearwheel drive cars in the snow comes from people that are only use to driving front wheel drive cars or really don't know how to drive in the snow period. I was taught how to drive in rear wheel drive cars in an area that had significant snowfall and would say that over my life I have had more driving experience in rearwheel than front wheel and do not feel uncomfortable driving a BMW in the snow. Prior to getting my 5-series I had a 325 for ten years and actually was able to get through snow better with it and it's traction control than my wife could in her four-wheel drive Jeep. However, I think it had to do more with my exerience in knowing how to drive in snow more than the car being front, rear, or four wheel drive.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mikereyno' date='May 28 2005, 06:43 PM
To be honest with you I think all the negatives about driving rearwheel drive cars in the snow comes from people that are only use to driving front wheel drive cars or really don't know how to drive in the snow period.? I was taught how to drive in rear wheel drive cars in an area that had significant snowfall and would say that over my life I have had more driving experience in rearwheel than front wheel and do not feel uncomfortable driving a BMW in the snow.? Prior to getting my 5-series I had a 325 for ten years and actually was able to get through snow better with it and it's traction control than my wife could in her four-wheel drive Jeep.? However, I think it had to do more with my exerience in knowing how to drive in snow more than the car being front, rear, or four wheel drive.
[snapback]134079[/snapback]
Ok, sorry for being a lousy driver who considers 4WD. However, my question remains, do I need studs on the tyres?

P.S.
Applying your mindset on the car industry would probably take away things such as ABS brakes, Traction systems, anti spinn systems etc. since people with sufficient training would be able to drive as good without any supporting systems.

/Knubblo

Quick Reply: 530xi last minute confirmations