E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530iA N52 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530IA 2006

Hi
I have changed, radiator, coolant, brake fluid, elevated idle speed with dis 50 rpm, AC condenser, refrigerant, automatic oil, bmw original spark plugs, ignition coils, air flow sensor, water pump, cleaned the throttle body, oil, oil filter in the engine, updated the software in the car to the latest I-level E060-12-11-500, replace the exhaust bracket that sits on the automatic transmission. my car has rolled 200 000 km, I do not run usualy I have run out of laps in 260 km, it is very good except at idle, I have sporadic vibrations ....... Now I'm thinking the fuel pump and filter but it should not be changed according to the service plan, have noticed that when I turn the fan off, you increase the idle speed and the car is working smoothly without vibration. Could it be the ac compressor going heavy? alternator not charging ok? there are no trouble codes, engine mounts could be broken so should they leak oil!. the car is a 530ia n52 europe version
Old 10-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530iA

Well, I wouldn't personally change fuel pump just because of vibrations. Problems cauased by pump or fuel filter would have different effects I guess. You've changed a lot of parts (I hope not because those damn vibrations only ) On the other hand, it's normal that idle changes when you turn on board functions like AC, heated seats/windows etc.. that happens on all cars.

Not sure what you mean about leaking oil from engine mounts. I've been told they work with air (under)pressure/vacuum somehow but there should be no fluid...
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Have you check the fuel injectors and fuel filter?

Good luck!

Originally Posted by baba
Hi
I have changed, radiator, coolant, brake fluid, elevated idle speed with dis 50 rpm, AC condenser, refrigerant, automatic oil, bmw original spark plugs, ignition coils, air flow sensor, water pump, cleaned the throttle body, oil, oil filter in the engine, updated the software in the car to the latest I-level E060-12-11-500, replace the exhaust bracket that sits on the automatic transmission. my car has rolled 200 000 km, I do not run usualy I have run out of laps in 260 km, it is very good except at idle, I have sporadic vibrations ....... Now I'm thinking the fuel pump and filter but it should not be changed according to the service plan, have noticed that when I turn the fan off, you increase the idle speed and the car is working smoothly without vibration. Could it be the ac compressor going heavy? alternator not charging ok? there are no trouble codes, engine mounts could be broken so should they leak oil!. the car is a 530ia n52 europe version
Old 10-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Members

No, do not change the injectors and filter, but have used injectorcleaners for € 100 different brands, my vibration is like another describes in a thread. "Vibration When idle. Does not matter if it's on D or P or Neutral. Vibration is noticible when i touch steering wheel or other interior parts, USUALLY it's not permanent, it's like" waves ". Couple of seconds it's ok, then it's vibrating again for 5-10 seconds. RPM is still, no "jumps." When car is running I do not see any problems.'ve tried different fuel, does not work for me "
Old 10-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

I might have the same problem. The speedometer is pretty steady at around 600 RPM. Thus, I can feel movements of mechanical parts of the engine (vibration?) if I turn off the radio to listen and feel.

I bought my car with 4 miles on it and started experiencing such "mild and steady vibration" when it hit around 54,000 miles. Last month when I changed the power steering fluid, I really got excited when I thought the vibration was less noticeable. I wonder if changing the transmission fluid and filter would fix such a problem?

I really miss those days when I could not tell whether the engine was running or not!!!

Originally Posted by baba
No, do not change the injectors and filter, but have used injectorcleaners for € 100 different brands, my vibration is like another describes in a thread. "Vibration When idle. Does not matter if it's on D or P or Neutral. Vibration is noticible when i touch steering wheel or other interior parts, USUALLY it's not permanent, it's like" waves ". Couple of seconds it's ok, then it's vibrating again for 5-10 seconds. RPM is still, no "jumps." When car is running I do not see any problems.'ve tried different fuel, does not work for me "

Last edited by E60I; 10-10-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Members

I have also changed the servo oil, I used to have a bmw e60 2004 04 530ia m54 engine 231 hp it did not feel at all when was runing at idle. This n52 258 hp feels like a big boat that you feel vibrations through the hull. I know n53 272 hp've had a lot of problems with the fuel pump and injectors nox sensor etc.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530 Titanium Silver Sport/Premium PKG OEM Mtech Kit

Same issue here.. Still can't figure it out. Subscribing to this thread. Hopefully someone can shed some light to our issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked for a vacuum leak?

That cyclic 1-2sec of vibration, followed by 5sec of smooth, followed by vibration again sounds like the system is trying to react to extra air that the MAF isn't seeing but the AFR is still riding too high.

You might suggest a smoke test to your mechanic, as some of those pin hole sized leaks can be tough to find. Or if you are a DIY wait until the car warms up and starts to vibrate, then spray some carb cleaner around the hoses and boots of the intake system to see if you get any sudden increase in RPM.

Last edited by BimmerFan52; 10-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530iA

Originally Posted by E60I
I really miss those days when I could not tell whether the engine was running or not!!!
Hell YEAH!!!

No surprise, that N53 engines has problems with fuel pump, injectors etc. as this engine was made by different technology. It's made with diesel engine components, but still burns petrol. N52 and M54 are "old school" classic petrol engines. N53 when cold even sounds like diesel engine ...but back to our problems.

I'm about to visit my mechanic today in order to replace oil cap (due to leaking oil - recommend you to check it too, I was kinda surprised), so I will open discussion about intake air flow and possible holes as well as power steering oil.

Sounds to me like blind shooting, but let's try...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 AM
Members

Have changed the oil cap before forgot to mention it! no difference, I want to believe that it is fuel related "fuel filter" maybe it should not change at all but ........ servo oil should also not change but my smelled burned and was completely black!

Quick Reply: 530iA N52 vibrations