E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530iA N52 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530iA
Unhappy 530iA N52 vibrations

Hi,

it's been some time (several months) since I noticed for first time, that my 530iA N52 (europe version) does vibrations when stationery. To sum all my experiences up, it starts when engine reach (or is close to) normal working temperature. My iddle is around 600-650rpm at that moment, so since that almost everytime when I stop at lights or for any kind of reason, car starts vibrate in short waves. It's like 5sec. ok, 1-2sec.vibrations. I tried change position of transmition from D to N and P - no change. Originaly I thought its damaged mounting points of engine or transmittion, but my mechanic said these are fine. So next thing exhaust - also ok. Actually nothing was found at all... It makes me crazy more and more...it's really not good impression, when you feel vibrations in your a$$ (seat) everytime you stay and engine is running

Any ideas appreciated in advance

PS: car is 2006, 258PS, 230.000km, original BMW sport-suspension (not-Mpaket), everything stock - including rims.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:48 AM
Members

Low idle coupled with the need to charge the battery may result in vibrations. Charge battery overnight to see if the problem goes away.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dbond
Low idle coupled with the need to charge the battery may result in vibrations. Charge battery overnight to see if the problem goes away.
Of course it would help to increase idle, but this is factory setting which mean's it should work fine (e.g.540i V8 has idle 500rpm). However I dont get how battery (together with low idle) can produce vibrations. Super low idle - ofcourse, but I think battery has nothing to do with that. Can you explain that please? BTW battery is 1 year old - I've heard about various problems when battery is dead (e.g.warning messages about everything in i-drive) but never this one...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i sport package with Mteck & M5 Rims Mpower

I have never heard that either . I don't know what's causing that vibration on your car but what I do know it has nothing to do with battery .
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Members

C'mon guys, it makes me really crazy. Dont you have an idea, what that could be?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530IA 2006

Hi

Have exactly the same problem on my bmw 530ia n52 2006 02, when it gets hot, I feel vibrations in the car that you are sitting in a boat, I have changed spark plugs, air flow sensor, air filter, update the car's software, ignition coils, elevated idle at 50 rpm, but nothing helps ....................... I get mad no fault codes either, has set the forum that exhaust bracket to the automatic transmission to be a possible problem!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530IA 2006

forgot has changed vanos solenoids and also oil in automatic gearbox someone said it could be the torque converter. Incidentally, the car runs great only at idle, I feel vibrations, got a tip that the ac compressor is heavy and causes vibrations it is a belt that controls Everything.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Members

Hi baba, first of all thanks for your reply. Recently I've changed exhaust vanos solenoid too, as that was the only problem in diagnostic (no change). In last 4 months I've also changed oil in automatic gearbox, refill of AC + desinfection. Non of these helped/made it worse.. Originally I had also bad feeling about automatic gearbox, so I tried change position when stationery, but there was no change at all. I think its not gearbox - I mean anything inside gearbox, like converter. In my case, when I try to add little bit more rpm on iddle by gas pedal (+/- 700), problem dissappear. So I think change it through computer would help, but I dont want it as it's more likely workaround than fix of problem.

Got new experience from last days. It's true, that my ussual driving distance is very low (5-7km), so that engine couldn't even reach normal temperature, not talking about automatic gearbox - that takes even longer.. So I drive moderately, don't step on gas too much. Yesterday I had longer road ahead, so I decided to drive more sporty, couple accelerations, higher rpm, Sport mode on gearbox... and my feelings are that it helped somehow. Truly it's better now, but question is how long. Can't answer that now... but you can try to do the same and let us know
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

With that mileage on the car, I'd look at replacing engine mounts. Engine mounts absorb excessive vibrations. With N52 I6 engine, it's very easy to change the engine mounts. I changed the engine mounts on my '06 530i last week. You will need to raise the engine about 10cm. Left side mount will be accessible once you remove the air filter box. Right side mount bolts are accessible from the top; however, you will need to remove and replace from the bottom. My car has 135K miles. There are absolutely no engine related vibrations now at the steering or shifter.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:34 AM
Members

I would say the same pcy, if I would not ask 2 independent services to check it. Especially I mentioned engine, gearbox and exhaust mounting points... Their answers - everything fine, sir. :/

Car is 7 years old, I can imagine what rubber parts can do after such a long time

Anyway I will keep pushing them check it again - special focus on SB 180208 as mentined in other post here.

Quick Reply: 530iA N52 vibrations