E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

This is something that has been bugging me since I had obtained the car... of course I have not yet perused this with the Service Dept, yet.
I notice when im driving, there is a slight lag in throttle/RPM when the car hits the 2.8k - 3k range. You can totally feel the tranny is hesitating. Its strange, and happends when is D, DS, and steptronic mode. It doesnt seem to happen if you kick down - or punch it. In reading, I have heard of this issue on certain 545 acceleration lags, but notthing during 'mid flight'.
Anyone else notice this?

cheers!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I haven't had any throttle lag. I've been driving more spirited lately and I do notice that my new drivingstyle in D mode confuses the automatic gearbox. Sometimes the car doesn't know if he has to shift up or down if I am more aggressive on the accelarator. In these situations it feels the car has a throttle lag but in my case I know it is the transmission that can't keep up.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by e60beast' date='Apr 26 2005, 09:32 AM
This is something that has been bugging me since I had obtained the car... of course I have not yet perused this with the Service Dept, yet.
I notice when im driving, there is a slight lag in throttle/RPM when the car hits the 2.8k - 3k range. You can totally feel the tranny is hesitating. Its strange, and happends when is D, DS, and steptronic mode. It doesnt seem to happen if you kick down - or punch it. In reading, I have heard of this issue on certain 545 acceleration lags, but notthing during 'mid flight'.
Anyone else notice this??

cheers!
[snapback]120272[/snapback]
I definitely notice a throttle lag, but it's both at mid RPMs, and from a standing start....drives me nuts if I am on the freeway, and need to make a quick maneuver.....I don't really have confidence in the car reacting fast enough for me most of the time........I'm sort of hoping that 16.2 fixes that to some degree....my car is on it's second day of service today, and I hope to get her back later this afternoon.....I'll let you all know if there is any noticeable difference. By the way, I tend to drive mostly in DS around town, and that helps some, but not completely.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happens to my 11/04 build E60, too. It's in the dealer for service at the moment. I insisted a test drive with shop foreman, but he denied the problem. SA was going to call BMW engineer to come over to do the test drive with me. So far, no call from him.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Apr 27 2005, 01:25 AM
[quote name='e60beast' date='Apr 26 2005, 09:32 AM']This is something that has been bugging me since I had obtained the car... of course I have not yet perused this with the Service Dept, yet.
Anyone else notice this??

cheers!
[snapback]120272[/snapback]
I definitely notice a throttle lag, but it's both at mid RPMs, and from a standing start....drives me nuts if I am on the freeway, and need to make a quick maneuver.....I don't really have confidence in the car reacting fast enough for me most of the time........I'm sort of hoping that 16.2 fixes that to some degree....my car is on it's second day of service today, and I hope to get her back later this afternoon.....I'll let you all know if there is any noticeable difference. By the way, I tend to drive mostly in DS around town, and that helps some, but not completely.
[snapback]120307[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think i can refer to what you are experiencing right now. I was on 12.x everything is fine until i upgraded to 16.2. Throttle response is improved but now i got gear down shift hesistation. Drive me nuts!
I am hoping this probably the auto tranny is relearning my driving charactersitics after reset due to software upgrade.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530ia, saphire black on black dakota leather, steptronic, sports package and premium package; heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, auto bixenon headlamps, rain sensor, dynamic drive, active steering, 18" rims, Harman Kardon L7, CD Changer, poplar wood with chrome accent on steering wheel and shifter, build date 10/2003

Thanks for the replies, guys!.
I have had one software upgrade since I had the car, many months ago, and no changes. I should have been better to explain whats happening, its no so much a lag, as to a pause or something. Imagine accelerating up the RPM band to where I said the problem hits, as an example: 2600, 2700, 2800, 2900, then goes back to 2.8, 2.7, then slowly creeps back to 2.8, 2.9 and so on... very odd. Can I download a software patch from a BMW FTP server somewhere? hehe

Although, I have also noticed lag in 'kickdown' is now worse since I got her.
My E39 530i seemed like it had more punch.

BTW, I drive in 'DS' all the time. 'D' just confuses the hell of the car, and doesnt know how to shift (mainly cause I havent given it any chance to 'adapt') it seems to go from 1st, 2nd, then to 6th?... feels like its going to stall or something.

thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Hi guys,

In order for BMWNA to fix the problem, please call them and report the problem. If they see the number growing, they're going to do something about it.
I reported it to BMWNA already. More voice would help.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

545i got fixed with CIP 16.2, why don't we do something about it so that they'll be a fix for 530i in the next CIP release?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Apr 26 2005, 12:55 PM
Hi guys,

In order for BMWNA to fix the problem, please call them and report the problem. If they see the number growing, they're going to do something about it.
I reported it to BMWNA already. More voice would help.

Thanks
[snapback]120345[/snapback]
BMWNA won't care - he's in Canada and Canada is not part of NA as far as BMWNA is concerned.

My 530 has never shown any of this behavior and I don't really understand the problem. It sounds like a gear change - or does the car actually slow down as well as that is the only way the RPM can drop without a gear change? Mine winds up through the gears perfectly in D or DS. I have noticed some lag as I come to a red light which turns green just as I arrive so I punch it, but that is related to an automatic downshift. I had also noticed some lag from standing start but seems better since V15 installed in January.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Driving on D, just cruizing in about 2500-3000rpm, probably something around 5th gear in it, well now I want to accelerate and sometimes it really does not go much. IT takes soo long for the car to "gear down" like 2 degrees, I just have to push the throttle much more ehavily in order to get kickdown.

I'm new with BMWs', drowe Audi's with manual and VW Tiprotincs before.

I guess you just have to be very rough (hard) on the throttle pedal.
Since I'm used to manual's sometimes I just go to stepronic and put lower gear when I need to accelerate, it is the fastest I think.

But I heard that the transmission chip is just learning the driver's style so we will see.

Quick Reply: 530i Owners...