E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i Bridgestone run-flats use less in even light snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at work today in Redmond, Wa, and tried to drive home from work. There was maybe 3-4" of snow on the ground, and my 530i was practically tractionless. I couldnt even make it up even a slight hill, while other cars had no problem. Furthermore, on my walk back home (yes I had to abandon my car), I saw 2 other cars stuck in the snow, and both were BMWs, one was a Z3 Coupe, and the other a e90 325. To top it off, my wife on the way home from work in her Lexus RX330, saw 2 other cars that were also stranded, and both happened to be BMWs.

Are BMWs that hopeless in the snow? I realize the Bridgestone run-flats are summer tires, but I didnt realize my car would be pretty much immobilized even in light snow.

Anybody try high-performance all-seasons on their e60 with snow on the ground?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Contributors

Rear-wheel drive/summer tires and snow don't mix. It is pitiful but what you experienced is common. If it were front-wheel drive like many domestic/foreign cars (even summer tires) you would have some traction with the hills. Unfortunately, if you don't have an Xi, you need good winter tires (e.g., Dunlop wintersport3 or Michelin Alpin, or Blizzaks) on their own rims. I just put my snows on today (Dunlop Wintersports on mille miglia 5 spoke rims).
Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

Originally Posted by mihusky' post='361378' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:44 AM
Rear-wheel drive/summer tires and snow don't mix. It is pitiful but what you experienced is common. If it were front-wheel drive like many domestic/foreign cars (even summer tires) you would have some traction with the hills. Unfortunately, if you don't have an Xi, you need good winter tires (e.g., Dunlop wintersport3 or Michelin Alpin, or Blizzaks) on their own rims. I just put my snows on today (Dunlop Wintersports on mille miglia 5 spoke rims).
Even if it is an Xi, you should still use winter tires for winter. 4 wheel drive may get you going, but you still need good tires to corner and to stop!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Any summer tyre is useless on snow and on ice!

Nothing to do with the Run Flat feature!

Get winter tyres, for your own safty!
Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Winter tires make all the difference! Car and Driver mag recently did a test on this - the differences between summer, all-season and winter tires in dry, wet and snow. The article's worth taking a look at.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

It's funny that this even comes up as a discussion, looking at it from the North Pole!

Overhere summertyres are forbidden between Dec - Feb and for a very good reason.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KickinA' post='361375' date='Nov 28 2006, 01:32 AM
Are BMWs that hopeless in the snow? I realize the Bridgestone run-flats are summer tires, but I didnt realize my car would be pretty much immobilized even in light snow.

All-seasons and summer tires are not the same. I've run all season tires with no problems in most situations. Summer tires should never leave the driveway with even a dusting. I've run BMW's in New England for years with either all-season or better. Winter tires will help a great deal but are not ideal for performance use. Try that RX with summer tires and you'll feel like you're on marbles too. FWIW, I've pulled more SUV's from the snow with AWD or 4WD simply because they were using worn or improper tires (okay... maybe they didn't know how to drive in the white stuff either).
Old 11-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Members

My Ride: MY2007 530i, titanium silver, grey leather, steptronic, sport package, cold weather package, premium package, navigation, logic7 DSP audio.

Hi KikinA! I was also in Redmond in my 530i last night, but on Dunlop SPs. The experience was the same as yours. We ended up spending the night at a hotel nearby. Today I made it back home to Issaquah but was unable to climb the hill up to the Plateau. Had to park at the bottom and walk home. The Walgreens parking and the sides of the roads were full of "nice" cars. Most likely culprits are the fat summer tires nall of them.

I am looking for some winter tires and wheels. I created a new topic to get some help from people. Let me know if you find something that works well. Cheers!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KickinA' post='361375' date='Nov 27 2006, 10:32 PM
I was at work today in Redmond, Wa, and tried to drive home from work. There was maybe 3-4" of snow on the ground, and my 530i was practically tractionless. I couldnt even make it up even a slight hill, while other cars had no problem. Furthermore, on my walk back home (yes I had to abandon my car), I saw 2 other cars stuck in the snow, and both were BMWs, one was a Z3 Coupe, and the other a e90 325. To top it off, my wife on the way home from work in her Lexus RX330, saw 2 other cars that were also stranded, and both happened to be BMWs.

Did you drive your car yesterday? i'm up on the plateu and it took me 4.5 hrs (in a Honda) to get home from Benchmarkmotoring in Bellevue..un-real traffic. I saw so many BMW and Merc abandon on the sides of road. But what was funnier is seeing a brand new Range Rover, Volvo XC90, and even an Audio A4 Quattro. I guess 8" of snow will even get the best of them!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Summer tire doesn't have traction under certain temperature nevermind light snow. On my old E46, I went from no traction with all season tires in the snow to no problem once I got the winter tire on and I used to live in Toronto and we do get a fair bit of snow.

So my advice is get some good winter tires as some of the post above mention that even if you have 4WD, it only gets you going not stopping and cornering.