E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530i 6 Speed w/ or without Sport Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a firm date for a Euro Delivery pick-up of a 530i on May 2nd, so time is running out for me to decide what to do here. I drove both the sport and non-sport version of the 530i over the weekend, and while I could tell some difference in overall feel and handling, I'm not sure its worth the extra $'s. I have a couple of points of concern that I'd be interested in some feedback:

1) Will it be more difficlut to resale a 6 speed non-sport versus sport when it comes time to sell?

2) In the U.S., the Sports Package was going for about $3,300 in MY 05, but that was with Active Steering. In '06, the have not included AS as part of the package, any thoughts on what pricing may be? (dealer still has no visibility @ this time)?

3) I live in the DC area, and while we certainly don't get a lot of snow, the car needs to be runnable in the white stuff on occasion. How bad is the SP without dedicated winter tires? BMWNA puts their lawyer statement on the broshure advising against running the car in snow/ice due to lower clearance.

Thanks for any/all advise and feedback!

Cheers,

OnOn
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

Just my opinion.....

I think the sport package is a better deal for 2006 b/c you don't have to get AS. You get better handling, bigger wheels and more comfortable seats. The base seats are not nearly as comfortable. The downside is getting RFT which seem to be problematic. It seems BMW is starting to use something other than the Dunlops (which have garnered a lot of complaints). I would not use the summer wheels for winter driving. They may get you from point A to B, but they will not be good in emergency circumstances. In the big picture, I would not compromise safety.

The non-sport model will be better in the snow. Its handling can also be improved by upsizing the wheels and tires. If you go this route, I would recommend the comfort seat.

In terms of resale, you mighht due better with the sport/manual combination with a private buyer, but the differences are probably minimal. The difference with a trade is probably insignificant. They will ding you period since most people will look for the steptronic. Remember, the sample from any BMW forum will be greatly slanted to the enthusiast who is not the norm.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by macct' date='Feb 28 2005, 10:06 AM
Just my opinion.....

I think the sport package is a better deal for 2006 b/c you don't have to get AS.? You get better handling, bigger wheels and more comfortable seats.? The base seats are not nearly as comfortable.? The downside is getting RFT which seem to be problematic.? It seems BMW is starting to use something other than the Dunlops (which have garnered a lot of complaints).? I would not use the summer wheels for winter driving.? They may get you from point A to B, but they will not be good in emergency circumstances.? In the big picture, I would not compromise safety.?

The non-sport model will be better in the snow.? Its handling can also be improved by upsizing the wheels and tires.? If you go this route, I would recommend the comfort seat.

In terms of resale, you mighht due better with the sport/manual combination with a private buyer, but the differences are probably minimal.? The difference with a trade is probably insignificant.? They will ding you period since most people will look for the steptronic.? Remember, the sample from any BMW forum will be greatly slanted to the enthusiast who is not the norm.
[snapback]95230[/snapback]
Agreed. If you're worried about resale don't get a manual. Personally, when you spend this kind of money I think you should focus on getting what you want. I love the manual/sport package combo (even with AS) and wouldn't even consider getting a BMW without it.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Get a 545i non sport. Not much of a price difference. Especially since the new 550i is coming out and dealer want to get their 545's off the lot.