E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Turbo Blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Adam_B' post='767578' date='Jan 14 2009, 06:52 AM
Well, I have just been to BMW and they are still waiting to hear back from head office regarding any goodwill gesture payment. They also said they would give me ?4.5K for the car in its current state!! I told them to get lost!! I paid ?19k for it just over 1 year ago. They then said that if it was in full working order they would give me ?9k. No point in selling it so I have to continue with the repair and hope that BMW come back offering to pay some towards it.
I have spoken to a garage near my home who said they would replace the turbo and then clean the exhaust and intercooler. Works out at about ?1700 max. BUT!!!!!! AS I HAVE BEEN TYPING BMW HAVE JUST CALLED BACK TO SAY THAT THEY WILL PAY FOR ALL THE PARTS AND COVER 80% OF THE LABOUR COSTS!!!! WHAT A RESULT!!! It will now only cost me a max of ?500!! I cant believe it. I feel like I have won the lottery!!

Thanks to everyone for their help on here once again!!
Thats great news...always good to hear when something like that works out for the little guy. Now the best advice I can give to you and any other turbo owner, who plans to keep his car......invest in a turbo timer, by far the best mod you can do prolong the life of your turbo.

GL
Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Crank case breather filter is about ?36 but they are supposed to be fit for life, but I would recommend changing it
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Yuppo, as above, thats the kiddy, and worth making sure is replaced, as it can cause backpressure in the oil system, and possible Turbo failure.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='767678' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:48 PM
Yuppo, as above, thats the kiddy, and worth making sure is replaced, as it can cause backpressure in the oil system, and possible Turbo failure.
Thanks for the advice, looks straight forward to replace? Is it just a case of removing the engine cover and there is easy access or is that wishful thinking? I've had the engine cover off numerous times but don't remember particularly looking towards the rear in that area before?

Also, do you guys reckon it would be worth changing it now at 36k miles or wait a bit for a few more miles?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Just been looking into this further on RealOEM and found that the part no listed for the LCI 525d (3.0d engine) is different to the 530d - although the picture / diagram looks the same. Also, the 530d has an Oil Separator listed which the LCI 525d doesn't have - seems to fit alongside the Breather on the 530d. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Palmo' post='767682' date='Jan 14 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, looks straight forward to replace? Is it just a case of removing the engine cover and there is easy access or is that wishful thinking? I've had the engine cover off numerous times but don't remember particularly looking towards the rear in that area before?

Also, do you guys reckon it would be worth changing it now at 36k miles or wait a bit for a few more miles?
Change it, you'll get peace of mind.
Here's a pic where you can see it (never mind the red circles and text). You have to take that last part of cover off too before you get your hands to it.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='767667' date='Jan 14 2009, 03:33 PM
Crank case breather filter is about ?36 but they are supposed to be fit for life, but I would recommend changing it
For the LCI 525d (3.0 engine) which, as stated in my last post is a different part no to the 530d, I have just enquiried at my local dealers who have one in stock priced at ?36.90 inc vat.

Think I will be investing in one of these..........
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='767705' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:21 PM
Change it, you'll get peace of mind.
Here's a pic where you can see it (never mind the red circles and text). You have to take that last part of cover off too before you get your hands to it.
Again, many thanks for this picture, looks relatively straight forward to change.

Are these definitely known then to lead to turbo failures - is it a wide spread problem?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Members

some info here on the engine breather.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=66936
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='767733' date='Jan 14 2009, 04:45 PM
some info here on the engine breather.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=66936
Thank-you very much! You say in your thread that it "requires removing lots of part" - can you expand on this? Obviously the engine cover needs to be removed and then I take it the air filter assembly needs removing - as I've had a quick look at this before but never done it, can you give me an idea on what needs doing to remove the air filter assembly - Cheers!

Quick Reply: 530d Turbo Blown