E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530D pedal response/lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, my first post here.
I have had the E60 530D steptronic now for about 3500 miles. I am really enjoying the ride except for one problem.

If you lift off the gas pedal while coasting in traffic or taking a corner, once you jab the pedal again, there seems to be a very noticeable lag before the car responds again. It almost sits there and thinks for about half a second and then off it goes. We also have the older X5 3.0D and although the ratios are very different there is no noticeable delay.

The 530D we get here has been slightly detuned from 160 to 150kw over the European spec but I do have the Schnitzer fuel line ECU installed which bumps the power and torque up again. The lag shows itself with or without the Schnitzer unit installed.

Much has been written on this forum about pedal response on the 530i. I dont know how much of what I am experiencing is the same problem but aggravated by turbo lag.

I have just had ver 13 software installed but no change. I dont believe it is a fault with my specific car because I remember the same problem when I test drove the demo vehicle.

I would like to know if other 530D owners are finding the same problem and if any E60 owners that had pedal delay problems have found a solution.

TIA

Streak
Old 10-07-2004, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, streak ! please post some pics when you have a chance . we've discussed about this and if you do a search, i'm sure you'll find some posts here. i'm experiencing this every day and i just pop it to "ds" mode. it'll solve the "problem" but will eat up more gas :'(. i told my service advisor about this but he told the tech said, "no faults found" .
Old 10-07-2004, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the reponse Alohalc. Yes I have done the search and read all of the responses. Keep in mind however that 530D is pretty much different to the 530i in response, turbo lag etc. etc.
This is why I am also trying to get comments from other 530D owners.

I'll get round to posting some pics sometime.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

glad to hear you did some search before posting your question. way to go . sorry, but i have the 530i .
Old 10-07-2004, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by streak' date='Oct 7 2004, 10:41 AM
Hi all, my first post here.
I have had the E60 530D steptronic now for about 3500 miles. I am really enjoying the ride except for one problem.

If you lift off the gas pedal while coasting in traffic or taking a corner, once you jab the pedal again, there seems to be a very noticeable lag before the car responds again. It almost sits there and thinks for about half a second and then off it goes. We also have the older X5 3.0D and although the ratios are very different there is no noticeable delay.

The 530D we get here has been slightly detuned from 160 to 150kw over the European spec but I do have the Schnitzer fuel line ECU installed which bumps the power and torque up again. The lag shows itself with or without the Schnitzer unit installed.

Much has been written on this forum about pedal response on the 530i. I dont know how much of what I am experiencing is the same problem but aggravated by turbo lag.

I have just had ver 13 software installed but no change. I dont believe it is a fault with my specific car because I remember the same problem when I test drove the demo vehicle.

I would like to know if other 530D owners are finding the same problem and if any E60 owners that had pedal delay problems have found a solution.

TIA

Streak
[snapback]42089[/snapback]
Welcome aboard, streak Name:  post_2_1095714174.gif
Views: 422
Size:  3.1 KB!

Check this post! Seems that a complete reprogramming and software update solved the problem!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Thanks Iceman. Yes I saw the other post thanks.
I have contacted BMW SA here and reported the problem as well as asked the dealer to check the BMW Puma database of all problems ever reported.
I will keep you all posted about what they find.

No other 530D owners out there?????
Old 10-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Members

Hello streak!

I have 530d, but manual. But I have driven automatic version, and I noticed the same thing. There seems to be some lag when pressing the gas pedal. My personal opinion is that the behaviour is left there intentionally. Because it is more "comfortable" when the car won't react quickly to gas. When in sport mode, the gas response is much more accurate - but it costs more gas...

Of course this is just my opinion.

I guess you just can't have both

Response with manual is quite quick - especially above 2000rpm
Old 10-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by streak' date='Oct 7 2004, 07:46 AM
Thanks Iceman. Yes I saw the other post thanks.
I have contacted BMW SA here and reported the problem as well as asked the dealer to check the BMW Puma database of all problems ever reported.
I will keep you all posted about what they find.

No other 530D owners out there?????
[snapback]42119[/snapback]
i was about to order 530d....but...but....they dont have it in USA... :bashwall:
Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer530d' date='Oct 7 2004, 07:05 AM
Hello streak!

I have 530d, but manual. But I have driven automatic version, and I noticed the same thing. There seems to be some lag when pressing the gas pedal. My personal opinion is that the behaviour is left there intentionally. Because it is more "comfortable" when the car won't react quickly to gas. When in sport mode, the gas response is much more accurate - but it costs more gas...

Of course this is just my opinion.

I guess you just can't have both

Response with manual is quite quick - especially above 2000rpm?
[snapback]42124[/snapback]
I disagree. If in standard drive mode, and you floor the pedal, it should move, RIGHT AWAY. If I want to change lanes, I should not have to worry about cutting off the person because it takes so long for the car to respond. If I press the gas on my wife's Honda Accord, it moves right away. This $52,000 car should move right away, too.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 7 2004, 04:57 PM
I disagree.? If in standard drive mode, and you floor the pedal, it should move, RIGHT AWAY.? If I want to change lanes, I should not have to worry about cutting off the person because it takes so long for the car to respond.? If I press the gas on my wife's Honda Accord, it moves right away.? This $52,000 car should move right away, too.
[snapback]42387[/snapback]
acribb, i'm not saying you are wrong and we all hope you are 100% correct. but you are one of the fews saying you don't have this particular "problem". i didn't have this kind of experience from other cars, no even my previous e39, but i'm experiencing this every day :'(. that's why i use "ds" 90% of the time .

Quick Reply: 530D pedal response/lag