E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d hiccups while cruising

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

My 530d (see spec below) seems to have literally caught the hiccups - when cruising, usually between 100km/h and 120km/h, the car feels as if it loses power for a split second every few seconds. The sensation comes and goes pretty randomly but it's noticeable. The smooth cruise seems interrupted by some extra split-second drag. It feels almost like the power is gone for the split second, or as if a sudden strong headwind has made the car pause for a split second. Has anyone experienced anything like this at all, or does anyone have any ideas as to the cause/words of advice?

There is no indication at all of a problem from the tacho or the fuel flow/economy gauge, nor is there any change in engine sound/noise, no backfiring, etc. It's 100% a case of I feel the car stop pulling for the split second - it's so subtle that I am even wondering if someone else would notice without having driven the car a couple of times (I drive the thing for 2 hours every day). Nevertheless, I do want to identify and sort out whatever it is before it gets bad.

I use diesel only from the majors - BP, Total, Shell or Esso - so I guess we can discount a fuel quality problem. That leaves us with injectors, ignition/combustion, turbo (?), brake pads skimming (not likely, I guess, or I'd feel it all the time), something else ...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='461664' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:10 PM
Has anyone experienced anything like this at all, or does anyone have any ideas as to the cause/words of advice?
I'm not sure if this is the same as I experienced with my E60 520d: there was indeed some kind of irregular engine I reported to my dealer which closely ressemble what you report: these were especially frequent when cruising after having stayed a while within town (and therefore not driving fast....); apparently, and after 2 visits to my dealer, they finally blamed the particle filter: it seems that when the particle filter re-generates itself, the engine behaves somewhat more irregularly;
If this is the case for you you should detect that:

- this issue you describe is not permanent, but rather comes back every 200 to 800 kms
- this issue is especially detectable when keeping the RPMs not that high (I usually detect the symptoms when RPMS are between 1500 and 200 RPM, never when they go beyond)

Maybe this will help, although I'm not sure this explanation will fit the problems you report !
Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Question

hey your right, i get that often wen im travelling on the motorway, a suddeen drop in power, feels like its had some high headwind, but yes i have experienced that a few times recently, mine is 530d 2006 remapped to 285bhp up from 231bhpp.

I dont think its a remap prob, as i remember DISTICTLY that i experienced this in my E36 320i a few years back.

Maybe its the fuel we use, i would also like to know if anyone has had this and if so, what can be done about it, and is it causing damage to the engine/car or is it something that happens and cant be sorted?

Glad you brought the point up , i read the post from copello, and think thats prob the explanation, as i can guarantee that it only ever happens wen my revs are very low, at around 1100 rpms upto 1800 rpms.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d 2005

I have the same problem. I can notice it only when driving on a motorway and when the speed is kept between 70-80mph(1500-2000rpm) for some time. The hiccups stop after couple of minutes. These hiccups do not happen every time, but at least when I havent been on a motorway for some time. It does not happen in town areas where revs change constanly.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

Unhappy

think that might a regular prob with these cars, could be the engine running again for the motorway, as the revs are constant rather then up and down revs in town as it were.

im getting the car serviced in two weeks, and see waht they say also.

Getting a courtesy car aswell for 1 day, a 320d E90, will get some pics of this
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Contributors

Thanks for all the input guys. It certainly seems that the issue is common, although I am yet to be conviced that it is normal. It will be interesting to see what your SA says, E60BEEMER.

My car cruised funny yesterday morning on an Amsterdam to Antwerp drive, but there was no sign of the problem on the way back in the evening - consistent with what you guys have suggested. I think I'll bring it up with the service guys when it next goes in for inspection (due in about 6 weeks).
Old 08-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Members

That leaves us with injectors, ignition/combustion, turbo (?), brake pads skimming (not likely, I guess, or I'd feel it all the time), something else ...

Ok you have no mentioned smoke so inj i would say are ruled out, its a diesel so ingnition system is ruled out ( there is non doh)
Combustion ruled out as its a diesel as if it had a problem it would be constant. turbo would be lots of smoke or whistling or decrease in economy so id be along the lines of ruling out. pads binding as you have said all the time so thats ruled out.
Id say the possibilty of the particle filter is a good one. or!!!! you actual are just getting head wind and its all in you rmind lol.
Could even be road surface making it seem like it is. personaly unless it is dangerious i wouldnt worry about it. sounds like somthing that really isnt a worry .
Old 08-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

best to be sure, and let the tech guys at BMW take a look at it, let them take it on the motorway,

Shouldnt be a big prob, i think.

E60BEEMER
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by The Parrot' post='462002' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:24 AM
That leaves us with injectors, ignition/combustion, turbo (?), brake pads skimming (not likely, I guess, or I'd feel it all the time), something else ...
Ok you have no mentioned smoke so inj i would say are ruled out, its a diesel so ingnition system is ruled out ( there is non doh)
Combustion ruled out as its a diesel as if it had a problem it would be constant. turbo would be lots of smoke or whistling or decrease in economy so id be along the lines of ruling out. pads binding as you have said all the time so thats ruled out.
Id say the possibilty of the particle filter is a good one. or!!!! you actual are just getting head wind and its all in you rmind lol.
Could even be road surface making it seem like it is. personaly unless it is dangerious i wouldnt worry about it. sounds like somthing that really isnt a worry .

Goes to show how limited my knowledge is of diesels! All points taken, and I suspect it is indeed the particle filter. Will get it checked out in any case when the care next goes in.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

co-incidently after reading here for a while, ive just spoken to Sytner here and told them of the problem with this, spoke to a tech guy after waiting 8-9 mins, he said that its not a problem, but the air circulation going through the engine via the filter, and if it isnt driven on the motorway often then it happens every so often as the engine re-calibrates itself for motorway driving, "tech guys words"

can this be right do you think, or was it just ploy to get me off the phone, i have mentioned in m service sheet also, so be sure to get an answer one way or another in the next few weeks, as my car isnt booked in til 6th Sept, which is around almost a couple of weeks away or so,

did i mention that you get a courtes car aswell. 320d E90

At night at Tesco,s

Quick Reply: 530d hiccups while cruising