E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d hangups

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

I think the 530d is almost a great package, however I have experienced the following problems/hangups with mine and wondered whether any fellow drivers had also. By the way the car was purchased from my main BMW dealer's showroom back in Sept 2003: -

1.) Creaking seats and windows (windows stop creaking when lowered)
2.) Cruise Control - When in your in normal auto mode on the motorway (freeway) and you increase speed the car changes down a gear in a very jerky manor. The only way to eradicate this is to leave it in 6th in manual mode.
3.) Driving downhill the autobox keeps changing down as if to slow you down. Autos usually coast!
4.) High wind noise from windscreen (windshield) at around 70mph plus.
5.) Walk outside your house to your car and find magic bootlid wide open (keys in pocket of course, not very secure but very funny) done it at Mcdonalds as well.
6.) Cheap mat finish on wheels (124)
7.) Standard seats not very supportive at all.
8.) Standard heater controls have no place in a car of this class. BMW have been extremely mean not fitting the air con advanced as std. The one series system isn't this cheap looking.
9.) Cup holders - crap. Had one replaced already.
10.) When the heated rear window is being used the radio crackles.

I don't believe I'm being perdantic but every time I experience anu of the above I keep thinking of my ?39,000 ($70,000) sitting in BMW's bank account.

Still looking forward to 535d sport though!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:28 PM
ust ordered Week 9 535d Sport Auto, Silver Grey, Media Pack - Sat nav Prof, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics & 6cd, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons & adaptive headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels, Light Poplar Wood, Extended Lights, HiFi, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and heated f/seats.
How much were the 19" wheels? Are they now a standard selectable option or a dealer-thing?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 10 2005, 04:44 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:28 PM']ust ordered Week 9 535d Sport Auto, Silver Grey, Media Pack - Sat nav Prof, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics & 6cd, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons & adaptive headlights, High Gloss Shadow Line, M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels, Light Poplar Wood, Extended Lights, HiFi, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and heated f/seats.
How much were the 19" wheels? Are they now a standard selectable option or a dealer-thing?
[snapback]88700[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was just ordering the car and happened to mention to my dealer that I thought it odd that the back tyres were 245 on the sport as opposed to 275 on my std car. He then pointed out that BM had just started optional M Double Spoke 172 Mixed Wheels with 245/40 f and 275/35 r Tyres all for ?780.00 extra.
Now listed on UK BMW web site.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

point 3) Its suppossed to do that, I hate cheap autos's that dont do that ( gear down )

Post pics of the new 19" as soon as you can
Old 02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

From my car the answers are : -

1.) My seats and windows don't creak but the plastics on the doors and dash do when the outside temperature is low.
2.) Cruise Control - No issue like the one you reported. Are you sure you aren't trying to accelerate hard? The gearbox has adaptive software which responds to your driving style. If I accelerate from say 80mph on cruise I get smooth power delivery.
3.) Again the autobox learns your driving style. Mine only tries to slow the car down noticeable if I leave it in DS mode. If I leave it in normal auto mode I do get engine breaking but it is gentle.
4.) No pronounced wind noise from windscreen above 70mph.
5.) The key is sensitive but I've only ever opened the boot once unintentionally.
6.) Can't say I've notice a cheap mat finish on wheels but they are easy to mark.
7.) I would never order standard seats in a BMW as they are cr@p.
8.) I agree about the standard heater controls. That's why I ordered advanced air con.
9.) Cup holders. Hideous items put in the car primarily for our US friends and they hate them even more than we do. Poor design and poor quality. The euro spec cars without them look much better (look for pics of Andy545's car on here).
10.) No issue with the radio when using the heated rear window.

In summary it looks like your car has a few quality issues.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:36 PM
From my car the answers are : -

1.) My seats and windows don't creak but the plastics on the doors and dash do when the outside temperature is low.
2.) Cruise Control - No issue like the one you reported. Are you sure you aren't trying to accelerate hard? The gearbox has adaptive software which responds to your driving style. If I accelerate from say 80mph on cruise I get smooth power delivery.
3.) Again the autobox learns your driving style. Mine only tries to slow the car down noticeable if I leave it in DS mode. If I leave it in normal auto mode I do get engine breaking but it is gentle.
4.) No pronounced wind noise from windscreen above 70mph.
5.) The key is sensitive but I've only ever opened the boot once unintentionally.
6.) Can't say I've notice a cheap mat finish on wheels but they are easy to mark.
7.) I would never order standard seats in a BMW as they are cr@p.
8.) I agree about the standard heater controls. That's why I ordered advanced air con.
9.) Cup holders. Hideous items put in the car primarily for our US friends and they hate them even more than we do. Poor design and poor quality. The euro spec cars without them look much better (look for pics of Andy545's car on here).
10.) No issue with the radio when using the heated rear window.

In summary it looks like your car has a few quality issues.
[snapback]88732[/snapback]
Thanks for the reply - I think my car was one of the first 10 built! perhaps it needs a software update. The cruise control issue is normal use i.e. push the lever away from you either in 5mph inc. or build 1 mph at a time it does it. I did have the windscreen replaced after 2 weeks of ownership, perhaps not fitted squarely. Anyway only my problem for next 5 weeks and they they get it back.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:03 PM
point 3) Its suppossed to do that, I hate cheap autos's that dont do that ( gear down )

Post pics of the new 19" as soon as you can
[snapback]88713[/snapback]
I will sort the pics a soon as I get the car - should be on UK web site next few weeks, already listed in options list but not build site. By the way when I mean it changes down a gear downhill I mean whilst your driving down the hill not coasting. it sticks in gear and the revs go soaring. Its certainly not right.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:53 PM
He then pointed out that BM had just started optional M Double Spoke 172 Mixed Wheels with 245/40 f and 275/35 r Tyres all for ?780.00 extra.
Where on the site?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

I have a 535d Sport which is a couple of months old and I'm glad to report has none of those gremlins. I'm sure your car when you get it will be fine and hopefully you'll be much happier. I'll be interested to see what the 19" wheels are like too though i think the standard wheels look fine.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 10 2005, 05:58 PM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Feb 10 2005, 09:53 PM']He then pointed out that BM had just started optional M Double Spoke 172 Mixed Wheels with 245/40 f and 275/35 r Tyres all for ?780.00 extra.
Where on the site?
[snapback]88749[/snapback]
[/quote]

Go to prices and spec for the 5 series, click 535d sport, click options.

Quick Reply: 530d hangups