E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530d Automatic Gear Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new style 530d 2003, with 60000km on it. I have had it for over a month, but my street here in Europe is an uphill. When i park every night on the uphill, it kinda moves even though i put the emergency brake on full.

2 nights ago, i could not get it in PARK at all. I had to force it, meaning physically push it into PARK. Now it was working for the last 2 days, then again today it still does not click into park properly. Sometimes slides into Reverse. And when in PARK, i cant get key out unless i push the gear forcefully into PARK again.

Has this happen to anyone else? Had a mechanic friend say its some PIN that probably got bent while parking uphill always and car adjusting when parked. So, basically its working with alittle extra force, just afraid to take it to dealership due to them taking apart transmission and then the PRICE>...

anyone know of this issue, or can comment, or HELP

Well appreciated.

Orginially from Canada, now living in CROATIA
Attached Thumbnails 530d Automatic Gear Problems-bmw530dd.jpg   530d Automatic Gear Problems-bmw530d2.jpg   530d Automatic Gear Problems-mbmw530d3.jpg  
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by depeche2007' post='429529' date='May 30 2007, 04:13 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new style 530d 2003, with 60000km on it. I have had it for over a month, but my street here in Europe is an uphill. When i park every night on the uphill, it kinda moves even though i put the emergency brake on full.

2 nights ago, i could not get it in PARK at all. I had to force it, meaning physically push it into PARK. Now it was working for the last 2 days, then again today it still does not click into park properly. Sometimes slides into Reverse. And when in PARK, i cant get key out unless i push the gear forcefully into PARK again.

Has this happen to anyone else? Had a mechanic friend say its some PIN that probably got bent while parking uphill always and car adjusting when parked. So, basically its working with alittle extra force, just afraid to take it to dealership due to them taking apart transmission and then the PRICE>...

anyone know of this issue, or can comment, or HELP
Well appreciated.

Orginially from Canada, now living in CROATIA
I would take it back to the dealer to check it out, that dont sound right at all. There are alot of hill in HK and I dont get that.
BTW Welcome to the best e60 forum in the world and have fun too
other ting on your last pic I can see a crome thing on the boot. what is that?
I seen thenm on the new facelift 7er but never on a E60
Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429748' date='May 30 2007, 01:42 AM
I would take it back to the dealer to check it out, that dont sound right at all. There are alot of hill in HK and I dont get that.

thinking of taking it to dealer today!! but afraid what they will say.. " we need to take transmission off, 1000euro and then blah blah blah" .... today its working ok again, just need to push it a bit... weird ass shit... my street is at angle, so it always adjusts when i park, maybe pushing the automatic PIN back i guess....

thanks for invite.... as for CHROME TRUNK, there is a place here in Croatia private which sells it...

BMW E60 5er TRUNK STRIP CHROME - If interested it costs 150euro.. pricy but makes the car look different from everyone in your area. No one I seen in all of Croatia has it. Also, the front GRILL chrome i bought, to make it look like 6er...120euro.. pricy due to customs etc.. from Croatia attached is photo of before and after... but you can also see it on my car...

thanks for having me, this forum is best to date..
Attached Thumbnails 530d Automatic Gear Problems-30052007.jpg  
Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429748' date='May 30 2007, 01:42 AM

Hi Pinguhk,

Here is a close up of the TRUNK STRIP CHROME, which fits all 5 series for you to examine...
Attached Thumbnails 530d Automatic Gear Problems-trunk_strip_chrome.jpg  
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by depeche2007' post='429769' date='May 30 2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Pinguhk,

Here is a close up of the TRUNK STRIP CHROME, which fits all 5 series for you to examine...
that is very nice but it would not show up on my car too light.
I was planning to get the grills when I got my LED real light they do look good too.
Maybe my next mod
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429793' date='May 30 2007, 04:45 AM
that is very nice but it would not show up on my car too light.
I was planning to get the grills when I got my LED real light they do look good too.
Maybe my next mod

Give me a photo of your back end... i can use photo shop and add the strip so you can see how it would look like if you wish.

all the best
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Members

Just took car today at Dealership beside work. They are taking apart the GEAR SHIFT! THey think a COIN has fallen into the gear area.. I THINK NOT! will update you guys in 30minutes... weird problem..

all the best
Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Members

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!

If you can imagine, from the COIN TRAY, a small coin feel into the GEAR changing area, and stoped the PARK position. They took out COIN, and now its working FINE.

BMW has a small area where the coins are, which goes into the coin area. NEVER heard of this before, but now its FIXED. Payed 20euro, for them fixing that, and changing my back right reverse light.

ALL THE BEST.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE IN THE FUTURE!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Glad to hear it was something simple! Years ago, on one of my E39 cars, coins were constantly falling out of my pocket and down into the seat rails. The coins would end up jamming the rails if the seat was moved back and forth.

I remember the dealer "yelling" at me (jokingly) for having "too much money!" I remember thinking that it was a poor design because the top of the rails were open and would suck the coins right up...
Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='429812' date='May 30 2007, 06:16 AM
Glad to hear it was something simple! Years ago, on one of my E39 cars, coins were constantly falling out of my pocket and down into the seat rails. The coins would end up jamming the rails if the seat was moved back and forth.

I remember the dealer "yelling" at me (jokingly) for having "too much money!" I remember thinking that it was a poor design because the top of the rails were open and would suck the coins right up...

RUDY,

FUnny you said that. Dealer told me same thing. Told me I got to much money haha Easy fix, thank god. Already getting ready to pull some money out of my stocks, to pay for a serious service. Anyways, all good> VERY HAPPY !

all the best, and thanks for comment.

Quick Reply: 530d Automatic Gear Problems