E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

530D - 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 530d

+1
it's more effective if you gradually put your foot down, instead of jumping on the gas

ps. another feature of the transmission is not to downshift while the car is turning. that pisses me off sometimes.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='430181' date='May 31 2007, 04:26 AM
Southerncomfort, an 'official' response I recevied from BMW on this issue:

"The perceived throttle delay you have experienced while driving is in fact the result of the compliance of the Diesel engine control system and the automatic transmission with EU regulations of the particulate emissions. It only occurs in limited engine operating conditions at high torque requirements when a gear change is imminent. It is only apparent in certain driving styles."
Thanks for the information. That probably explains the most annoying behavior of the Toyota Avensis I rented last time I was in Europe for business. (It did get 6.1 l/100km, however.)
Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Southerncomfort,

From what I've been told, because the 530d's have such a huge amount of torque, there is a software "fix" to protect the gearbox - it manifests itself with the initial lag from start off - something that doesn't happen on the petrol engined versions in my experience.

For the uninitiated, imagine waiting to pull onto a traffic island or out of a junction, where you have to pick a gap and go for it.
You see a gap, and put your toe down. Nothing happens, so you put your toe down a little more, the car starts to move forward a little. By this time there is a 38-tonner hurtling towards you, so you squeeze the loud pedal a little more, then suddenly you have all 200-odd horses screaming at you to be let loose, the DTC working overtime and frantic scrabbling with the steering wheel to point the car in the right direction.

I know that the proper driving instructors recommend using both feet to drive an Auto, but how many of us do?? In this case, I use the two foot technique where I hold the engine at 1000 to 1200rpm with my other foot on the brake. When it's time to go, everything is hooked up and you can make a spirited getaway instantaneously.

This has been a problem with all 530d's and 330d's, you just have to drive round it. After the first time, you always remember that 38-tonner!!!

As an aside - why do you think that you can only get a 535d in Automatic form?? It's because Mr. BMW cannot make a Manual gearbox that will handle all that torque (you can't apply software to a clutch foot!!)

Enjoy the car

Mike
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='431072' date='Jun 2 2007, 03:36 PM
Southerncomfort,

From what I've been told, because the 530d's have such a huge amount of torque, there is a software "fix" to protect the gearbox - it manifests itself with the initial lag from start off - something that doesn't happen on the petrol engined versions in my experience.

Mike
Indeed - as described to me (in another letter from BMW that I?m appear to have misplaced presently) the management software controls the rate of application of engine power output to the transmission otherwise the transmission would not last! (Which supports what AlywinMike is stating.)

The problem I experienced was the initial delay to which I felt was being described by Southerncomfort, and so eloquently described by AlwynMike's example. That said when my car was being investigated a deal of focus centered on the data taken on the fill rates of the clutches - the explanation being that these were fine (within tolerance) and the delay I experienced was a factor of the EU4 compliance constraint in the throttle management as stated in the quote from BMW.

Southermcomfort, you may wish to ask your dealer to check these out on your next visit.