E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 525i touring MT

Hey, working too much no time for problem solving but met a guy on the train the other day, diesel expert but have forwarded our problem to a BMW expert, will keep yo posted

T
Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

Update Everyone, I went back to check for software update, turns out it was already updated to latest version. So by now I was going to start replacing oil cooler and then heat exchanger in hope of good news.

As I did my usual 2+hr drive early on Monday morning, car started as usual; heat came on quickly when stationary. Above 80Km/h heat dropped off and engine temp was low 70's.

Over an hour into the drive I decided to check sensor temperature... 95 turned on heat and lo and behold IT WAS AL WORKING PERFECTLY!!!
Been driving all morning and has still been working like it should. Conclusion? some serious blockage in the coolant system that was resolved after about 2 months of driving? but the headaches it gave me

Torgny could this be the same for you? maybe some blockage that's just driving us up the wall

Thanks everyone for your help and input. Lets hope it stays resolved at this stage
Old 10-20-2014, 09:06 AM
New Members

Hi, oh that great its seems to have been solved but Im not sure its the status for me, mine is running 76-84 when stationary and up to approx 95 km/h ...then...the stat (I belive) closes and it operates on 100-108 degC. Speeding down or hit the clutch ...instant drop to like 80 degC...

Blockage...perhaps but how on earth shall I locate this??

I have a laser temp meter and will measure on the cooling hose from oil cooler and compare this to another similar car..same engine...to make sure the oil cooler isnt dumping hot water all the time to the top of radiator.....probably a long shoot...

Thinking that if your is running on 95 degC ...are you sure its not running with stat bypass open? I had that and fault code P0597...

Im very confused and BMW dealer work shop still says no fault on my car...

Yeah thanks everybody for hopefully taking me closer a solution on my "#¤%¤& car!

Last edited by kobolt60; 10-20-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 PM
New Members

I would agree that the oil cooler seems to be the blame.
I drove mine today to see how things are going, and it's again not running properly
I may have jinxed myself earlier, clearly spoke too soon. But this has brought up the possibility of a blockage in the pipes. Since you've got a laser temp meter that would be excellent to test each pipe after a drive then compare to see what's different.
I'm going to try do the same technique and see if there is any change.

Still no fault code, just can't explain why it was working fine on the one random day
Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Did you replace the water pump and thermostat already?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:08 PM
New Members

Thermostat has been changed twice, water pump hasn't. It hasn't given a fault and it works, so don't think its that. There has been the suggestion that the pump is getting wrong signals and not running as it should, so that's something I'm planning to look into.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 AM
New Members

I made a couple of bleeding of the EWP but ofcourse no change,anyway could hear the EWP running in sequence and different revs sooo it seems to have its function....
Old 11-03-2014, 10:09 AM
New Members

Made a test on my friendes Car of the exact same model, same behavior as mine!

What am I missing...is my car as design??

I will try to read my display for cooling temp from ECU. Anyone knows how that is done?

Torgny
Old 11-05-2014, 04:44 AM
New Members

whoa, hold on, so your friends car is running the same issues surely that's not to design specs... Can't remember if you mentioned already, did you change the radiator sometime before or when things weren't running properly? Because now I'm trying to get a salvaged one just to test if rad could be the cause, clutching at straws now.

The mechanic has a workshop computer which stays plugged into the OBD while driving to access all the readings, that's how he read cooling temp from sensors, ECU, and what the ECU was telling the pump to do. You might be able to do the same thing with personal pc, I haven't tried it though.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i

I have 06 530i with n52 engine. I think I have the same problem. Most of the time its around 80C sometimes goes up to 100C but no often. Changed thermostat once. When I was at my mechanic he had someone elses 525 for an oil changed and we checked that car behaved exactly the same. I was thinking about changing my thermostat again, but I'm not sure I should do it anymore. What I noticed is if i have heat/ac on when the car is cold is doesnt even warm up much. I have to click the off button and wait for engine to warm up. I've talked to alot of people and read alot of forums on the internet and no one seems to have any clue.

Quick Reply: 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat