E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 525i touring MT

I got same dimension winter and summer 225 15 R16 so no difference there.

My ECU software is probably not updated sinne factory in 2006.

I got confused thinking about this again so I went out for a ride and dont know why but I disconnected the MAF sensor and boom I got yellow engine light but it felt like the engine was some what more powerful in this preprogrammed mode. Anyway I checked with Carly app and got two fault codes one for no MAF connection and one for air intake temp think this is integrated in the MAF on the N52 model.

Guess what the coolant temp fell to running on 74-84 mode 😎 so I drove for som 40 km stopped and connected the MAF and cleared faults and its running on 99 - 108 in city....

So yes for me its a sensor leaving non or wrong value to ECU.

I bought my Carly app and cleared some 15 fault codes which my previous Tourque pro didnt catch.

I might get my self a new MAF...

😎
Old 03-21-2016, 12:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 325i E90

Originally Posted by kobolt60

I got confused thinking about this again so I went out for a ride and dont know why but I disconnected the MAF sensor and boom I got yellow engine light but it felt like the engine was some what more powerful in this preprogrammed mode. Anyway I checked with Carly app and got two fault codes one for no MAF connection and one for air intake temp think this is integrated in the MAF on the N52 model.

Guess what the coolant temp fell to running on 74-84 mode 😎 so I drove for som 40 km stopped and connected the MAF and cleared faults and its running on 99 - 108 in city....

I bought my Carly app and cleared some 15 fault codes which my previous Tourque pro didnt catch.

😎
I check my fault codes with INPA. I don't have any codes.

I have been using INPA to check all temps in real time. Now that you mentioned it, i have noticed that air intake temp looked unusually high to me. It showed twenty something, but outside temp was ~0C. Not sure if this is normal or not, maybe i need to take a second look at this.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kobolt60

😎
Is your car still working correctly?

I found something interesting in my DME coding and would like to compare it with you. It appears my car is coded for High power (OLULCODIERUNG wert_02). Im not sure if this is related, but it sure would make sense. I have no idea who coded this, but from what i have found using Google, it does not look like it comes from factory with this setting.

Do you have a cable and can pull your coding trace file with NCS Expert?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:36 AM
New Members

Hi yes its is working perfect runing on 100-108 in normal driving and the stat is cooling down when hiting the throttle.

I have a cable to my Carly app but have to fix a pc dont work on my IPAD. Dont know if it can read the codes. ... what software do you recommend?

Yeah Im interesting in how my car is codes. But still strange it suddenly started to run according to manual.

T
Old 04-11-2016, 11:08 PM
New Members

Unfortunately mine has not magically started working as it should, but it keeps higher temps more often now.

I updated my DME to latest software and coded to default settings. It turns out that according to my VO, it needs to be in the high power setting (OLULCODIERUNG wert_02). I'm still not 100% sure if thats why it uses the high mapped thermostat mode almost all the time.
After i updated the DME, the engine seems to warm up a little faster and i see higher temps more often now. Also the speed at which it always switches to normal mode seems to be lower now, it was 96km/h before but not it seems to be at 92-95km/h range (not sure yet).
So updating DME seems to have caused some improvement but it's not perfect yet.

I use INPA for diagnosing, NCS Expert for coding and WinFKP for updating ECU's.

It would be very interesting to see your coding trace file, but you need NCS Expert to get the file.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:48 AM
New Members

What OS do I need to run INPA and NCS expert.... because I assume I cant run on my iPAD. . and not on my android Phone. .... better get my self a PC I suppose. ..

What versions is recommended to use?
T

Last edited by kobolt60; 04-18-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 AM
New Members

You need a Windows PC to run these programs.

Any of the latest versions you can find should work.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:03 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by poisike
You need a Windows PC to run these programs.

Any of the latest versions you can find should work.
Ok I will try to fix a PC.

By the way, I have written about it earlier, when I change to summer tires I checked and found out marks on the inside of the wheels from the calipers, when checked I found out that the aluminium wheels are for a 325 and not 525 as mine.

So I grinded of the edge of the calipers so its not touching the wheel, looks it most tight at the rear wheels.

Its still running hot.....

T
Old 05-22-2016, 02:48 AM
New Members

Just a reflexion ... Its still behaving and today I gave it all full throttle all gears 6500 revs temp went down instantly and stayed arround 80 degC during slow smoth driving for like 20 min. Turned it off for some minutes and its back on 100 - 110 in ECO driving.

Dont know if its normal but cooling down on torque is good.

T
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: E70, E90

Just for an update,
My car, after oil cooler replacement, behaved well for several months then it backed to 76-84oC.
Last week, as my car is pinging little bit on acceleration, I decided to decarbonize it with high rpm running - 130 kph in 3th and 4th gears for 30km and alot of WOTs (4500 - 7000 rpm).
The results is the car is no more pinging and coolant temp is back to normal operation 100-109 oC in city driving, down to 80oC in WOT...very predictable...

I think the reasons may:
1) the engine is pinging out of allowed range so that, DME forces the coolant temp to failsafe mode (74-84)
or 2) The mapped based coolant temp algorithm of the DME needs full range of real data (rpm, power, load, temp, radiator temp, etc...) to do the "intelligent" temp adaptation, so that if you run the engine softly for a long time (I have been rarely get over 3k rpm before), there are no more high range data in the DME memory -> DME changed to failsafe temp mode.

Will update you more on this...

Brgds,

Quick Reply: 525i Engine/coolant temp low and little to no heat