E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

525d shunt when braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black BMW 525D.

Hi All,

i'm new to the forum and enjoying reading all the information that has been posted and answered.

Please can i ask id anyone recognises this, ive just bought a 525d 2004, however, when i'm slowing down to stop or approach the traffic lights, i can feel a sort of judder, like a small bump. Apart from that there does not appear to be anything wrong, however, if there was a problem i would like to get it repaired while it is still under warrenty.

Many Thanks.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

Hi dannymc69!

The judder or bump that you refer to, could it be in time with the revolution of your wheels? Do you feel it through the steering wheel? Does the steering wheel pull slightly to one side in time with the bumps?

One likely cause is a warped brake disk. I used to suffer this problem with my 2000 model 323i. One of the symptoms was that I would feel the bump under light braking, but it would go away under heavier braking. For me the problem would start after an emergency stop. The disk rotors (front) were unable to vent the heat generated quickly enough, resulting in a very slight warp to one of the disks.

Solution: Have it checked by an auto mechanic - doesn't need to be the BMW dealer. If the disk rotors aren't too old they can be machined. Most auto mechanics have a lathe set up for doing this (don't let some turkey do it with a grinder). If the rotors are under-sized (caused by wear) then they will need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

virgil.

Originally Posted by dannymc69' post='826621' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:45 AM
Hi All,

i'm new to the forum and enjoying reading all the information that has been posted and answered.

Please can i ask id anyone recognises this, ive just bought a 525d 2004, however, when i'm slowing down to stop or approach the traffic lights, i can feel a sort of judder, like a small bump. Apart from that there does not appear to be anything wrong, however, if there was a problem i would like to get it repaired while it is still under warrenty.

Many Thanks.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

Hi my 525D auto 2006 does this after ive stopped, very rarely mind. however it feel as if someones just bumped my car very lightly.
Probably an auto box event something spining down possibly its deselecting a gear and changing the band brakes over inside the box
Some of the bigger engine cars are know for this too ? There was some firmware auto box updates for this mentioned but UK Dealers can't do this adhoc now im told, They need a PUMA call case
as BMW doesn't like paying for 10 hour programing. PS mine also has a turbo sounding noise from the box as it hit 80 mph - off the public highway of course.

In the IT world you download updates and apply them for nothing, Car industry no chance !

MAE60D
Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: Black BMW 525D.

Guys thank you very much, it was one of those symptoms that you find difficult to explain properly, but it does feel as though someone has bumped me from behind, just like you said.

It does seem as though i'm stcuk with it then if BMW won't do the programming!!!