E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d - SE or M Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

I had an E61 se on 18" 124's with runflats, with sports suspension ( Same ride height as M- sport ). I thought the package looked pretty good. I think the main reason for this was the lower ride height, and I think the styling suited the tourer.

The ride was firm, but thats how I like it. When I joined here, I read all the debates about how bad run-flats are, and because i hadn't experienced anything else, I thought they were OK.

When I decided to go for the E60, I went for the M-Sport, because like others have said, the E60 looks far better in the M-Sport outfit, with lower suspension to match. I went with the 19" 172 wheels, mainly for the looks, but was a bit apprehensive about how firm the ride was going to be, being on the lower profile, albeit with non run-flats. My fears were totally unfounded. The ride is firm, just as you would expect, but there is no harshness. you can feel the tires helping to cushion the undulations in the road, where as with the run-flats, when you hit a hole, it felt as though you'd got 80 pounds in the tyres!!

My advice is go with the M-Sport, With 19" rims, which come with non run-flats as standard. avoid run-flats at all costs. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport 177BHP Jet Black Grey Dakota Leather MZ5P Media Package M676 HiFi Speakers M588 Electric Lumbar Supports M6FL USB Interface M439 Brushed Aluminium Trim

I tested the 520d SE and M before I made the easy choice of the M. OK its only a 2.0d but it looks fantastic and full of purpose. I took delivery mid Feb but I still look my baby on the drive and I'm glad I did not go for the SE... sorry SE owners but the M looks better.
The ride is not soft but its not supposed to be that way its a sports saloon (I'm also a 40+ kid)

Make some calls to test the M if you have no joy get back to me and if you can get to Sheffield I'll take you out in mine.

All the best,
Darren.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by DarrenP' post='624612' date='Jul 15 2008, 07:59 PM
I tested the 520d SE and M before I made the easy choice of the M. OK its only a 2.0d but it looks fantastic and full of purpose. I took delivery mid Feb but I still look my baby on the drive and I'm glad I did not go for the SE... sorry SE owners but the M looks better.
The ride is not soft but its not supposed to be that way its a sports saloon (I'm also a 40+ kid)

Make some calls to test the M if you have no joy get back to me and if you can get to Sheffield I'll take you out in mine.

All the best,
Darren.
I tested them both too. When you are driving them there really is no difference at all. Nothing.

It's down to taste. If you like all the stuck on bits go for it. Sorry "M Sport" owners but adding plastic doesn't do it for me. They should have given the "M Sport" more power to properly differentiate it as a sporty car (or detuned the SE).
Old 07-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='624662' date='Jul 15 2008, 08:28 PM
I tested them both too. When you are driving them there really is no difference at all. Nothing.

It's down to taste. If you like all the stuck on bits go for it. Sorry "M Sport" owners but adding plastic doesn't do it for me. They should have given the "M Sport" more power to properly differentiate it as a sporty car (or detuned the SE).
I have an SE.. Wanted the Sport but was a little too expensive for me. I had the choice of looks or creature comforts... I went for the latter and don't regret it (although the 530i is going to kill me on the tax!)
Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport 177BHP Jet Black Grey Dakota Leather MZ5P Media Package M676 HiFi Speakers M588 Electric Lumbar Supports M6FL USB Interface M439 Brushed Aluminium Trim

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='624662' date='Jul 15 2008, 08:28 PM

Ha Ha, its all down to taste......... M sport lowers the ride high so its harder. The "plastic" body kit looks good. Sorry you do not fancy it but I hate the front of the SE

LOL
Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Arrow

M SPORT, FOR SURE
Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring Sport Auto, Sophisto Grey II, Pro Nav, BT and voice control, USB (6FL), Cream/Black leather, folding mirrors, heated seats, Privacy glass, 18" (with Runflats), 2011/61 Plate (Dec 11)

After having a 325Ci Convertible M Sport I must say that I got really fed up with the harsh ride on our naff roads here in the UK - so I really thought long and hard about getting a 520d M Sport or SE. I test drove a 525 SE Touring and thought that was nice to drive but they just don't look right in my opinion (side's just end with no side skirts - just doesn't look right!). So, I eneded up getting a 520d M Sport Touring Auto - had to be an auto this time. I find the 520d (with runflats too) so much better and softer than my e46 M Sport so I'd say get the M Sport for looks alone and I don't find the ride too harsh (mind you, only had the car since Friday!!!!).

GL and let us know what you decide...

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Members

I drove the M-Sport before eventually buying the 520d SE. The reason is purely practical.

The roads I will be driving are a disgrace to asphalt layers so rather than pay regular visits to a Chiropractor and also batter the wheel bushes I opted for the Driving Miss Daisy SE.

You still get tons of grip and the ride is smooth as butter even with the RFT's.

Sure the M-Sport is a beautiful design but hey I'm 45+, once anyone looking gets over the car they grimace when they see me. At least in the SE, they don't expect to see much behind the wheel.

Good luck with your decision. My main advice is think about the condition of the roads you will travel most.