E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d - SE or M Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm thinking about ordering a 520d. I've tried a 520d SE auto, and am waiting for the dealer to find a manual demonstrator - they appear to be in short supply hereabouts (south-west of the UK)! The ride and handling of the SE seemed to be fine to me, so my question is:

1 - what's the M Sport like, particularly its ride?

2 - is it worth the extra ?3100? (in terms of improvements to handling/steering, brakes, etc. - I've yet to see one in the metal, so I'll decide then about the looks . . .)

I've not been able to find any road tests of the 520, but have found very mixed reviews of other 5-Series in M Sport trim, varying from "excellent" to "handling's good but the ride's awful, especially around town". I know it must depend a lot on age (I'm knocking on a bit, but still some way off my bus pass, and I like to think I still have my moments). I've tried a C220CDI Sport and enjoyed it very much. That seemed to have found a good balance between ride and handling, so I'd like to know how the BMW is.

Anyone have any views?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
Contributors

The 520dA is a great car in terms of size/comfort/handling/economy. What the tests always love to refer to (regarding the handling) are the hard runflats the cars come on. Alot of the members here have ditched the 18" runflats for non-runflats or just have gone for the 19" factory option. The ride is sporty, but not hard. To the sports package itself - not only are you getting a stiffer suspension, you are getting the m body kit around the car, a black headliner, sports seats, sports steering wheel and a few other gadgets. Definitely worth the money, alone for the looks....
Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Go with the M Sport. I've got a 520d and if BMW Taiwan had the M-Sport version offered, I would've gotten that. Now, like it is, I've gotta:

1. get new 19" (166s)
2. get an M Tech kit
3. Get new springs and lower the car.

Yeah... Definitely get the M-Sport.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 520D M Sport

Originally Posted by Jeremy Churchill' post='624271' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:34 AM
Hi all,

I'm thinking about ordering a 520d. I've tried a 520d SE auto, and am waiting for the dealer to find a manual demonstrator - they appear to be in short supply hereabouts (south-west of the UK)! The ride and handling of the SE seemed to be fine to me, so my question is:

2 - is it worth the extra ?3100? (in terms of improvements to handling/steering, brakes, etc. - I've yet to see one in the metal, so I'll decide then about the looks . . .)

I've not been able to find any road tests of the 520, but have found very mixed reviews of other 5-Series in M Sport trim, varying from "excellent" to "handling's good but the ride's awful, especially around town". I know it must depend a lot on age (I'm knocking on a bit, but still some way off my bus pass, and I like to think I still have my moments). I've tried a C220CDI Sport and enjoyed it very much. That seemed to have found a good balance between ride and handling, so I'd like to know how the BMW is.

Anyone have any views?

I drive a Black 520d M sport, excellent car, looks a million dollars, ride is quite hard, but better than the Merc c220d Sport that I had, now that was harsh!!

would recommend in a flash, and I will be changing the run flat tyres when they are due.

i am also knocking on a bit!!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If there was an easy way to go from the M Sport suspension to the SE ride but keep all the M Sport parts I would have gone for the M Sport. But if you are in the UK an SE car stands out from the crowded Sport cars (statistics).

You get a lot for ?3100 and the 19" wheels are only an option on the M Sport. However then you are restricted to body colours. Also a few years ago the M Sport Steering wheel could not be specd heated but now I think you can.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributors

The option 19" are definitely worth it because for that price, you are ditching the runflats for non-runflats, as you can only get 19" without runflats.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='624296' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:42 AM
The option 19" are definitely worth it because for that price, you are ditching the runflats for non-runflats, as you can only get 19" without runflats.
I'll pipe up for the SE drivers. The handling is still superb - much more than adequate for the 2.0 diesel engine. There is no difference in acceleration or top speed. I find the SE (with runflats) not too harsh but it still pulls round a bend like it was on rails.

If you are heavily into the looks of a car over function - buy the "M-Sport."

On the other hand ?3,100 will buy you some useful extras.

So really it comes down to how much you value the appearance of the bits they stick on the outside of the "M-Sport," and that's a matter of personal taste.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by Jeremy Churchill' post='624271' date='Jul 15 2008, 08:34 AM
Hi all,

Anyone have any views?
I have an 520d SE and most of the time it is great. I would like that extra control the M-Sport gives when really going for it, but the compromise is a firmer ride for the rest of the time... and my budget would not stretch that far. The SE is still a great drive though and good fun when you push it through some roundabouts or clipping curbs on the bends, and when you do want to sit back and cruise on the motorway it rides really well. In terms of eqipment, there is not much in it, (excluding the bodykit, sports seats, trim, and ummm wheels ). The SE still gets cruise, pdc, computer etc etc. I added on climate control rather than standard air con which upgrades the computer as well, and would recomend that option for the ?600 it cost, and I would also go for USB as well to get the full control of an i-pod throught the i-drive.

It depends how you drive, where you drive most, and how sporty you like the car . I would have a look at the edtion model upgrade they are doing at the moment, business nav and a cd changer for ?350 seems really good value.

Hope that helps you out, good luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

I am another saying go for the M Sport - personally I don't like the look of the E60 at all in SE trim, looks a bit to fat / old maid-ish. (sorry to all you SE-ers) You need a decent set of alloys anyway so take the ones provided with the M Sport.

Why are you hunting for a manual? It will lost more in depreciation and the auto gearboxes are excellent. Having steptronic to go through the gears gives you the equivalent of manual without tiring out your left leg in town and you can cruise to your hearst content.

Although the steptronic gearshift push and pull feels like it is the wrong way round

Definitely order non-runflat tyres whatever wheels you go for - get the standard 18" alloys and insist on non-runflats - they will be able to sell the runflats on as new anyway, and don't believe the dealer line about the suspension set up for runflats - the options list has non-runflats on 19" alloys.
After 8000 miles on my runflats I could not believe the difference switching tyres - a more compliant ride, and very, very quiet - the noise I was used to at 60 mph was the same at 90 after changing.

It is all a matter of taste, but try to get a test in a demo M-sport set up with non-runflats (even second hand) so you can make your own mind up.

Good luck and let us know what you choose in the end...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Members

M Sport all the way for me. I looked at Auto as well but found it hard to justify the ?1400 e.o for the auto box. Manual is just fine

Quick Reply: 520d - SE or M Sport?