E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d (m) vs 530d (m)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys!
First post so please be gentle.
Please help me decide on the following. Do I buy a fully loaded 520d m Sport manual or a lightly spec'd 530d m Sport manual. I just do not like auto boxes and don't see the point in paying extra company car tax for the privilage. I enjoy a good sporty drive but at the same time very rarely would race someone off the lights and generally behave myself by not going over 70mph.
I keep my cars for 4 years at least so buying a manual 530d does'nt worry me when it comes to trading in. What I need to know is with the new improved 177hp engine coming out on the 520d early next year, do current owners (520d) genuinely feel that the extra torque from the 530d is not necessary on todays roads (UK/N.Ireland) or to put it better the preformance of the 520d is more than adequate.
There are pros and cons for both cars but to be honest I have more pros for the 520d, there is just this little voice inside saying BMW 5= big 6 cylinder engine, I worry that if a buy a 520d I will have occasional regrets regarding preformance.
I appreciate that both camps will have views and I suppose I am hoping there are a few members who have driven both who can give a good comparision.
Any views greatly appreciated.
M.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

You should make a list of what it is you want against the budget you have. Other things, such as what you are driving now (your performance expectations) and how much co car tax you want to pay, are also factors.

Do you really need the Msport kit? Do you really need BMW navigation, or will a ?200 Tom Tom do it for you?

My car is pretty lightly specced, but I wanted to stay in a budget and get the feeling that I made the dealer squeak. Ive ended up with a car that looks like any other 5, goes really well, and is just about the same price as a 320d. Real (comparitively) bargain.

That was my choice.

In your situation, even though the 520d is pretty lively, I would think about the bigger engine FIRST before I looked at a highly specified base range car. Why pile on ????? of options onto the entry point car? If however, 8.3 secs to 60 and 139 mph is all you need, and you must have leather, sat nav, Msport pack, heated seats, freeview tv, night vision, dynamic drive, etc, then you might need to compromise on the small engine.

Why not test drive both? Perhaps the addiction to the accelleration might get you. Or one of the bolt on goodies for the extra money may get your eye....

cheers

steve
Old 12-21-2006, 05:10 AM
Members

Sorry, I forgot to mention i am currently driving a e46 330d (184bhp) + tuning box (220bhp). It has been an excellent car but I think I would be bored buying a new 330d (231bhp) and I just cant warm to its revised look. I have always loved the road presence of the e60 m Sport.
If I am being honest with myself my heart will probably over rule my head and I will go for the 530d and pay ?100 approx extra a month in company car tax.
My budget is approx ?36,000 but I can be flexible to a degree as it is my own company that is buying the car. The reason for the post was that I have read such good reports on the 520d and felt that it could be the best all rounder.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D AM SPORT 06 (07 for you US Guys ;-) Carbon Black Professional Sat Nav 6CD Changer Automatic Aircondition Advance (Standard fit) Bluetooth Telephone Preperation with Telematics Preperation Extended Voice Control System M 19" Mixed Wheels Style 172M BMW Online BMW Assist Graduated Tinted Windscreen Bi-Xenon Headlights Adaptive Headlights Headlight Wash System Black Dakota Leather Rear Spoiler Spare Wheel M Rear Spoler Sun Protection Glass Heated Front Seats BMW Velour Floor Mats BMW Service and Maintenance for 5 years/60,000 miles Tracker - Echo

?36K would get you a lovely 535d M Sport

But the TAX will be a killer
Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

As you know you must try before you buy! A back to back drive will settle all your queries.

"I enjoy a good sporty drive but at the same time very rarely would race someone off the lights and generally behave myself by not going over 70mph."

The steptronic transmision handles most situations well - (D) normal Auto for steady cruising, DS for sport auto, or manual when you feel the urge, try it! (The only steptronic downside IMO is some 3L diesels do have problems with low speed delays and thumping into gear when changing gear, that can be irritating/frustrating/annoying etc. - mine does this and it does detract from an otherwise execellant car.)

" ......voice inside saying BMW 5= big 6 cylinder engine, I worry that if a buy a 520d I will have occasional regrets regarding preformance. "

"I appreciate that both camps will have views and I suppose I am hoping there are a few members who have driven both who can give a good comparision."

Given your current car you'll likely be a tad disappointed by the relative lack of urge from the 520d - the E60 is a much heavier car to move -I considered the 520d briefly when purchasing my last 530d - I've driven both and you need to work the 520d more, depends much on your use/how you drive - the 530d will be effortless at all speeds, a great cruiser and has bags of grunt on tap for when you need it (e.g. want to play!) - That said I drive large engined cars mostly and the 520d was a pleasent surprise, but IMO was not for me.

As for spec - IMO the sport suspensoin of the MSport will be closer to the current e46 you have - the MSport model is a more pointed car to drive than the SE model (dynamic drive option on the SE can help here) - The drive of the e60 MSport will be similiar to the e46 you have whether it be a 520d MSport of 530d MSport in comparison IMO, not quite as crisp on turn in though but close enough. You can of course add options later if required (check though as some can not), so a lower spec 530d might not be the downside it appears.

Have fun choosing...............
Old 12-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Originally Posted by Hawkwing' post='369918' date='Dec 21 2006, 03:26 PM
As you know you must try before you buy! A back to back drive will settle all your queries.

"I enjoy a good sporty drive but at the same time very rarely would race someone off the lights and generally behave myself by not going over 70mph."

The steptronic transmision handles most situations well - (D) normal Auto for steady cruising, DS for sport auto, or manual when you feel the urge, try it! (The only steptronic downside IMO is some 3L diesels do have problems with low speed delays and thumping into gear when changing gear, that can be irritating/frustrating/annoying etc. - mine does this and it does detract from an otherwise execellant car.)

" ......voice inside saying BMW 5= big 6 cylinder engine, I worry that if a buy a 520d I will have occasional regrets regarding preformance. "

"I appreciate that both camps will have views and I suppose I am hoping there are a few members who have driven both who can give a good comparision."

Given your current car you'll likely be a tad disappointed by the relative lack of urge from the 520d - the E60 is a much heavier car to move -I considered the 520d briefly when purchasing my last 530d - I've driven both and you need to work the 520d more, depends much on your use/how you drive - the 530d will be effortless at all speeds, a great cruiser and has bags of grunt on tap for when you need it (e.g. want to play!) - That said I drive large engined cars mostly and the 520d was a pleasent surprise, but IMO was not for me.

As for spec - IMO the sport suspensoin of the MSport will be closer to the current e46 you have - the MSport model is a more pointed car to drive than the SE model (dynamic drive option on the SE can help here) - The drive of the e60 MSport will be similiar to the e46 you have whether it be a 520d MSport of 530d MSport in comparison IMO, not quite as crisp on turn in though but close enough. You can of course add options later if required (check though as some can not), so a lower spec 530d might not be the downside it appears.

Have fun choosing...............

Could not have put it better it was exactly the approach I took

I do not know how your business is structured but it may be worth talking to your accountant about ways around the car tax issue, that are totaly legal.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

My comments in this thread are pertinant.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=34716

I think long term you will be disappointed with a 520 after a 330, much less engine, heavier car.

All the options you add to a 520 will add zip to the resale value in 4 years time, the basic 530 will offer much better value.

A 530 D m-sport sounds the ticket, unless you seriously want to trade down performance wise. But drive them both and make your own choice. Seriously consider the Steptronic if you go for the 530D, it makes the car so much more relaxing to drive, if you go for the 520 get a manual.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sparkiemarkie' post='369896' date='Dec 21 2006, 02:10 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention i am currently driving a e46 330d (184bhp) + tuning box (220bhp). It has been an excellent car but I think I would be bored buying a new 330d (231bhp) and I just cant warm to its revised look. I have always loved the road presence of the e60 m Sport.
If I am being honest with myself my heart will probably over rule my head and I will go for the 530d and pay ?100 approx extra a month in company car tax.
My budget is approx ?36,000 but I can be flexible to a degree as it is my own company that is buying the car. The reason for the post was that I have read such good reports on the 520d and felt that it could be the best all rounder.
Thanks

you will feel the difference if you get a 520d..... even at 177hp next march, and 200hp chipped now, are likely to miss the acelleration if you drive your car hard.

Is approx 1.5 - 2 secs off a 0-60 time worth ?100 of your money a month - thats the question

I drove the 320d at the same time as i test drove the 520d. I went for the 520 as it was bigger. And it has to be said it has a better 'pose factor' too. Ask your dealer about pricing - you might find a 520d SE is about the same cost as a 320D SE after discounts.

Have a play on here

http://www.freewaycars.co.uk

cheers

steve

PS

another poster said

the E60 is a much heavier car to move

Look up the figures - that might be wrong. The 520d SE weighs 1580 kilos, and the E46 320d tourer I had weighed more than that.......

PPS

dont forget, you dont have to get the Msport for the revised suspension - its available seperatly for approx ?300....
Old 12-21-2006, 08:10 AM
stu
Members

the E60 is a much heavier car to move
Not true. Thanks to the large percentage of aluminium used in the E60 ess than 90kg difference between them .

I support some of the above posts ie if you do choose a 520D it must be manual , and a 530D is best with steptronic.
Seriously though I'd get a "basic model" 535 and shop around or self import from Germany to meet the 36K budget.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: On Order, due in May - 2007MY 530D SE, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Auto, Brushed aluminium shadowline,sports seats / wheel, hi fi speakers, mats, space saver wheel and a few more bits

Originally Posted by sparkiemarkie' post='369881' date='Dec 21 2006, 01:40 PM
Hello guys!
First post so please be gentle.
Please help me decide on the following. Do I buy a fully loaded 520d m Sport manual or a lightly spec'd 530d m Sport manual. I just do not like auto boxes and don't see the point in paying extra company car tax for the privilage. I enjoy a good sporty drive but at the same time very rarely would race someone off the lights and generally behave myself by not going over 70mph.
I keep my cars for 4 years at least so buying a manual 530d does'nt worry me when it comes to trading in. What I need to know is with the new improved 177hp engine coming out on the 520d early next year, do current owners (520d) genuinely feel that the extra torque from the 530d is not necessary on todays roads (UK/N.Ireland) or to put it better the preformance of the 520d is more than adequate.
There are pros and cons for both cars but to be honest I have more pros for the 520d, there is just this little voice inside saying BMW 5= big 6 cylinder engine, I worry that if a buy a 520d I will have occasional regrets regarding preformance.
I appreciate that both camps will have views and I suppose I am hoping there are a few members who have driven both who can give a good comparision.
Any views greatly appreciated.
M.
I went for the 530d auto - you can not re-map a 530 without auto - too much torque. Got just about a 535d performance for 350 quid

Quick Reply: 520d (m) vs 530d (m)