E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

520d/efficient dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by upport' post='607569' date='Jun 22 2008, 11:27 AM
Hi,when did 'efficient dynamics' become standard on 520d.I suspect that it was Sept 2007 but I need confirmation.Can anyboby help.Thanks.

The LCI E60 520d got it's new engine (M57D20TU) and Efficient Dynamics
at the EU MY change in September '07.
The automatic transmission do not have the start/stop function.
The EU MY '08 has also the new whiplash avoiding headrests.

I'm driving mostly city and the car consumes 6,5 litres of diesel per 100 km that's
compared to my ol' '05 525iA about 45 % less.

Simply a great engine for a great car!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='614518' date='Jul 2 2008, 06:14 PM
The LCI E60 520d got it's new engine (M57D20TU) and Efficient Dynamics
at the EU MY change in September '07.
The automatic transmission do not have the start/stop function.
The EU MY '08 has also the new whiplash avoiding headrests.

I'm driving mostly city and the car consumes 6,5 litres of diesel per 100 km that's
compared to my ol' '05 525iA about 45 % less.

Simply a great engine for a great car!
Does anyone know how to convert to litre/km from UK miles/gallon ?

My 525D M Sport auto Touring does 47mpg on a long run.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by upport' post='607652' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info.I hope you are pleased with your 520d.Is it manual or automatic? You have it over a year now,maybe you would be kind enough to share your experience of performance,economy,drivability.Was it worth purchasing?Thanks in advance.
Sorry for not responding earlier. But what can I add to all the wonderful reviews of the other 520d owners? Fuel consumption is indeed very good (6.6 liters/100 km over the past 29000 km with more than a fair share of start-stop and city traffic). I have manual transmission.

I wouldn't say that the engine becomes smoother over time, but the sound hasn't worsened either. It does 240 km/h (at least on the odo) and that's fast enough for me. It's agile enough and commands enough respect from the other drivers ;-)
I consider it a smart choice with current high energy prices. (my wife bought a 1.8 Corolla Verso last month, which drinks 8.6 liters (of petrol) per 100 km. Man, what a difference money-wise!)

The car has served me very well and I'm very happy. It has yet to go for its first service (still 6000 km to go before an oil change). I didn't even have to top up the wiper fluid ;-)
However, I've come across some minor things. Most are not specific for the 520d engine.

- I recently started to notice the beginning of a whine when turning the wheel (probably related to me always having to park in a very tight parking lot)
- my wedding ring has made some scuff marks on the leather steering wheel (and on the leatherette center of the steering wheel as well, which is actually worse). It seems that the quality of the steering wheel leather is low.
- On 2 occassions, I had no FM reception and the airco didn't adjust automatically. Stopping, taking out the fob and re-inserting it solved the problem. It's a bit worrying though.
- After around 2 weeks of not using the car, I got a message of 'high battery drain' and the car had trouble starting. Two weeks - I find that a bit quick.
- Once in a while, the car doesn't want to engage in first gear. I then have to release the clutch, press it again and it goes smoothly into first gear.
- although the engine is still smooth, I feel a small but distinct 'tick' from the engine in sync with the rpms.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Members

New car arrived July 1st.I have driven 4000 kms so far and I'm very pleased with my purchase.The last tank of diesel gave me 1070 km which translated to 5.5 ltr/100km or 46 mpg (IRE). I'm very pleased with the consumption rate at this stage and anticipate that this might improve in time.My family love the bright beige leather fusion upholstery,and while I was a bit concerned about keeping it clean, a quick rub of a cloth wipes away scuff marks and stains.The interior is comfortable and spacious and the ride is solid and inspires a feeling of 'cruising along' .I opted for bluetooth/charger and I'm very pleased with it.I wake up smiling every morning and cant wait to get behind the wheel.