E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5 series vs. X6 x50i - Cornering Stability

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

I think your friend will win. Below is the comment from InsideLine after they test drove the X6 35i. Performance of the X6 50i should be similar.

"On the skid pad, the X6 generates a 0.87g performance, a better number than three out of the four V8 Sport Sedans we compared last month. Some of the credit goes to the big Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires, as they hold on better than expected, although our test-driver also notes how easy the X6 is to steer with the throttle.

The X6 is equally fast through the slalom, posting a best run of 65.3 mph. That's a shade quicker than a sport-package-equipped BMW 550i's performance of 65 mph. Again, plenty of grip combined with a well-sorted suspension and responsive steering allows the X6 to transition quickly and push right to the limit."

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/x6/2008/full...-xdrive35i.html
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I missed this thread until now. "Best Handling" can mean many things. On an off ramp like the OP will test the cars on, absolute grip (cornering speed) is the one item being tested. Tires are the biggest factor to grip but the suspension allowing the tires to work is also important. The X6 5.0i has been shown to have very high G's in corners (see the post above). The OP may have good tires (maybe not the best) but the non-sport suspension will prevent the tires from working their best. Whereas the X6 does have the latest tech to maximize tire grip. It is correct that ARS which limits body roll may make it harder to feel the car at the limits (especially for the average driver) but it allows the limits to be higher. My guess is the X6 will win the test.

Running the cars on a road like the TOD tests far more handling aspects, namely, transition ability, steering quickness, exit speed & power, braking, and especially driving skill to get the most out of the cars. The 523i will have a better chance there but once again the X6 seems to have exceptional transition abilities.

PS: The US sport package also includes wider Z rated tires versus standard width all seasons. That alone would make a bif difference in cornering potential. The ARS just adds a little more...
Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zen68' post='1085456' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:53 PM
I think your friend will win. Below is the comment from InsideLine after they test drove the X6 35i. Performance of the X6 50i should be similar.

"On the skid pad, the X6 generates a 0.87g performance, a better number than three out of the four V8 Sport Sedans we compared last month. Some of the credit goes to the big Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires, as they hold on better than expected, although our test-driver also notes how easy the X6 is to steer with the throttle.

The X6 is equally fast through the slalom, posting a best run of 65.3 mph. That's a shade quicker than a sport-package-equipped BMW 550i's performance of 65 mph. Again, plenty of grip combined with a well-sorted suspension and responsive steering allows the X6 to transition quickly and push right to the limit."
The X6 is a serious machine, equipped with the active rear end that the 5-series doesn't have - apportioning torque independently based on the situation. It's not just about wheel sizes, center of gravity and weight. I wouldn't bet against it unless the 5-series was in the hands of an expert and the X6 in the hands of a novice.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Ok gents. I think I am going to lose from the feedback I am receiving here.
Anyways, he is still one of my closest friends, so it is better losing to him than to a stranger.
I will keep you updated.