E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5 - Series vs E-class : better car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i M Sport Automatic Gearbox Front Seat Heating Leather interior Media Package

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='450358' date='Jul 20 2007, 09:39 PM
E-class: Interior much more refined. Handling less responsive, but a smooth ride

5-series: Handles much better. Exterior looks better. Interior has way too much plastic seems americanized
Im new to this forum and new again to the joys of BMW after 7 years, but I have to say I enjoy the fact that even though we are clearly BMW fans there is a fair and objective view of the MB v BMW debate.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='450059' date='Jul 20 2007, 08:38 AM
...i always perfer the heavy tank like feel
I myself, always preferred to buy a heavy go-cart. I'm happy I got it.
Contrarily, I don't like at all, the MB feeling that makes me wonder, "when that thing will turn?"

I'm talking about standard suspension, no DD, sport, M sport, or lowered E60s.
The difference on handling capability is huge there.

You have to spend a lot of money for special suspension equippment /bars to make an E turning like a stock M sport.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='450388
I myself, always preferred to buy a heavy go-cart. I'm happy I got it.
Contrarily, I don't like at all, the MB feeling that makes me wonder, "when that thing will turn?"

I'm talking about standard suspension, no DD, sport, M sport, or lowered E60s.
The difference on handling is huge there.

You have to spend a lot of money for special suspension equippment /bars to make an E turning like a stock M sport.
Agree Nick, stock vs. stock suspension setup, BMW is way ahead. Its basically Sport vs. Luxury.

You can pratically make any car handle like a race car, by upgrading strut braces, sway bars, coilovers, larger tires.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have had three E Classes and four 5 Series. Without the BMW Sports Package the cars perform in a very similar fashion, the MBZ Sports Package is mostly cosmetic unless you get the AMG's which are priced like the BMW M's. With the Sports Package, Active Steering and Sports Auto the BMW blows the MBZ in the twisties.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

I owned a W211 E320 for 3 years and then moved to an E60 540i Msports. Loved it so much that I bought an E60 550i 4 months later

Styling:
MB is sexy but the more I look at it now it looks like a 'moms car' and think its quite conservative. The E60 without Msports kit is just unappealing to me. However, once you put on the Msports kit...mama-mia!

Handling:
Without a doubt, E60 is superior around the bends or if you like to throw it around. My dad has a CLK500 and I've driven it hard but the car just doesn't provide the driving experience that the E60 does.
The MB is a nice sedated cruiser, and that's it.

Interior:
MB is nicer for the most part. However, the E60 comfort seats are just awesome!

Performance:
Can't comment as the MB I had was only the 3.2lt engine.
The growl of the E60 is better though after listening to a friends 530i.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='450405' date='Jul 20 2007, 06:31 PM
Not to start an argument, but the e60 5 doesn't exactly have the greatest track record for reliability.
Sorry, but the merc does has way less options to break down. But, you have to admit, they do build good cars... but BMW will always build better cars...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by cocy00' post='450437' date='Jul 21 2007, 04:14 AM
Sorry, but the merc does has way less options to break down. But, you have to admit, they do build good cars... but BMW will always build better cars...
At least MUCH better for our taste. I like more strawberrys than blackberrys. Gues which is what in car world?

Skaffa
Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

Let me put my comparison this way:

1.In terms of technology and sophistication MB is ages behind.The iDrive , Online ,HUD,Night vision,Line Departure warning system etc are yet to be featured in MB while BMW introduced many of them long ago !! The cockpit of MB is very busy with all those buttons which kind of confuses the driver.The location of display screen ( black and white -reminds me of 1950's) is such that the driver has to take his eyes off the windscreen to check it out.The hand break operation in MB too too primitive and uneasy.Its like key board vs mouse when comparing iDrive and non-Idrive.

2.The driving pleasure of BM is unmatched .

3.With the high waist line and bold body lines,BM looks much more modern and contemporary in body styling where as MB looks very conservative and plain.

4.MB has shamelessly copied many design cues and technical inovations of 7 series in their new S class.And they would do the same when they facelift the aging E clss.

In a nutshell BM is ahead of MB by at least 4 years. And the gap is widening !!!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I test-drove the E class and the 5 series. Ended up choosing the BMW...

Just didn't seem to be in the same category, IMHO. Also, here in Taiwan, MB's are
made in South Africa whereas the BMW 5'er are German-made.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Members

I went through the same process. I think the E class interior is cheap. Before driving the E class, I tried the Infiniti M35. The plastic in M35 is much better than the one in the E class. I was shocked. Also, the climate control dial is very loose. It feels cheap.

The BMW interior quality is much better. All control dials are tight. Both woods and the plastic are good.

Price wise, you cannot beat the BMW European Delivery deal.

Quick Reply: 5 - Series vs E-class : better car