E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

5 series keeps growing on me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside' date='May 21 2005, 06:29 AM
I currently own an 03 M3. I love this car, but recently have considered moving to a sedan for comfort reasons. When the e 60 first came out I thought it was bu-- ugly; I mean I really hated it. But over time I would see them on the road and started to think I kind of liked the look from certain angles. Ever so gradually it kept getting better and better, and the other car brands started to look kind of conservative to me. A couple of months ago I drove the competition including the Acura RL, Audi A6 and Infinity M45. None of these cars did a thing for me. Coming from my M3 they just didn't inspire any passion or driving confidence. Then I drove the 545. Oh my God what a car! I liked it so much I almost bought it, but then thought it this is this good maybe I should wait for the 550 because my wife will support this economic decision (disaster) if we do a European delivery.

But I digress. What amazes me is how I could change over the past couple of years so drastically over the styling issues. My friend and client advisor at the dealership warned me that it wasn't uncommon to initially feel this way about new models, and that the 5 might grow on me. But I never felt it would happen to this extent! If I didn't love my M3 so much, and if the money issues didn't concern me, I know I'd have this car right now. As it is I can feel the disease working on me and I see a 550 in the fairly near future.

As we say on the auto detailing forum "There is no cure!"
[snapback]131493[/snapback]

I am coming almost from the exact same position as you, darkside.

I currently have an E46 M3 (2002).

I also decided to move to a more comfortable sedan.

And lo and behold, I just placed an order this week for a 545i... sports pkg, premium sound, nav, hud, sapphire black/auburn.

I love my M3, but the 5er I think will be my new love. I've always liked the styling from the very beginning. To me, of all the new BMW models the 5er is the best. The 7er looks like a tank and a bit bloated. The 6er is a whale. The new 3er is nice, but the back of the car looks like it has a pinched ass

To me the 5er styling sleek, bold and most importantly masculine (unlike the RL and the new GS - the new M to me is just a buffed out Maxima styling wise).

I'd heartily recommend getting the 545i (or 550i if you want to wait that long).
Old 05-21-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Its like anything innovative. It takes a while to get used to. Once you do, you will never look at the other stuff the same way. I get so many looks. It is funniest when a small child is just plain mesmerized by my ride. I never hated it, but I will admit, it took a while for my brain to comprehend the lines. Now everything else looks like a sqare box.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Members

Interesting responses. I think part of the problem is that it was such a radical depart from the old 5 (which admittedly was a beautiful and classic looking car) it took everyone off guard. Everyone was expecting the follow up to the old 5 to be evolutionary not revolutionary. Bangle has changed automotive design forever, and not just for BMW, but other brands as well. Sometimes in business you need to step out of designing what is safe and roll the dice. The 5s success and the 3s future success prove that taking risks can result in large rewards.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on black. 6spd MT, Nav, sports package.

Yep.. I felt the same exact way.. I LOVED the E39, and when the E60 first came out i could not look at it... Now I notice and stare at every single one on the road.

However I still don't like the 6 series. Something is not right with the design. Perhaps with time I will grow to like it too.. maybe if i ever drive one.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Members

There seems to be a theme here; I too was unimpresseed when I first saw the E60. Then the rear started to grow on me (don't ask... ). And now I've got one. I'm really glad I didn't buy the MB E320cdi - in fairness a good car, but the driving dynamics were inferior - and the MB styling is far too mundane when compared to the E60. The only 'styling' issue I have with the E60 is small wheels. The styling of the car needs large wheels (and unfortunately runflats, although my Goodyears aren't too bad).
Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

When the new e60 first appeared in car mags I was a liitle shocked by the finished style but then when I saw one in the metal at my local dealers launch night I ordered one there and then. The front end took more getting used to. I liked the rear as soon as I saw it. My only gripe is the boot shut line from the side which makes the boot look like its sort of added on. I love the M sport model and again bought one as soon as I could. I guess you could say I was a fan.

No offence to those who like the E90 but I just don't get it and can't see me ever changing my mind. I'm afraid I don't like the 6 series style big chrome on top front grills and the rear end is too squinty looking, a bit similar to a Mitsubishi Charisma. I've looked at all colours and specs and still can't see it. I also can't understand why the press have not mentioned slated the style, as they did with the E60, which in my mind is more questionable than the E60. Perhaps BMW have issed insentives say no more

Have never liked and never will like the old/new 7 series. It could have been so much nicer with a slight amount of tweaking.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

I live in silicon valley and see tons of BMWs on the road every day-- and see SO MANY of the older model 5 series. I don't see many e60s and that's a big attration for me. The car is very distinctive and it really makes a statement. I think it has a very sophisticated look and the lines of the car on the side are very aggressive looking. The front headlights are also very distinctive and the rear of the car is fine. I think the look of the e60 is going to continue to be unique for a long time.