E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

35 MPH stutter/thump. '04 545i Auto.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 545i ? Automatic / Steptronic / Sport Package

A couple weeks ago while cruising around 35mph, car makes a faint jerk/stutter. I shrug it off (hoping) it wasn?t a big deal. Just the other day, driving around 30-35 car makes a somewhat violent jerk/stutter/thump. It almost felt like I drove over a steal-plate. Slowed down a bit, hit 35mph again, car did it a second time. Decided to take the car home and from a rolling stop, I accelerated a bit aggressive up a hill and the car felt like it was stuttering/trembling up hill. During the whole stutter/thump experience, I could hear a metal clanking sound. What could it be guys? Any ideas?

Bought the car about a month ago with about 73,900 miles. Car currently has roughly 74500.

Back to the workweek...hope everyone enjoyed their 3-day Memorial Day weekend.

Best,

Chris
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Try this bud:

1) put car key to ON position
2) Step on gas pedal allllllll the way down to kick-down click.
3) Count to 25 and let go
4) start the car

You just reset your transmission's saved shift settings, etc.

This may make a huge difference in how your car feels for the better. If you don't know by now; our car's trans is smart and it "learns" your driving behavior over the course of 1,000 miles. Every so often its good to reset this. Personally I hate the feature.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Try this bud:

1) put car key to ON position
2) Step on gas pedal allllllll the way down to kick-down click.
3) Count to 25 and let go
4) start the car

You just reset your transmission's saved shift settings, etc.

This may make a huge difference in how your car feels for the better. If you don't know by now; our car's trans is smart and it "learns" your driving behavior over the course of 1,000 miles. Every so often its good to reset this. Personally I hate the feature.

Thanks for the tip. This is actually our first e60, but owned bimmers in the past. I'm still getting used to the turn signals . I'm a total newbie with the e60.

I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

Hi --

Read your thread. My car made similar sound on occasion -- a thump below when accelerating around 35 mph mark. In my case, it turned out to be a rear differential mount that was busted (rubber had corroded over time). You might have them check this on your car, and engine mount as well.

Best of luck.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tabrams
Hi --

Read your thread. My car made similar sound on occasion -- a thump below when accelerating around 35 mph mark. In my case, it turned out to be a rear differential mount that was busted (rubber had corroded over time). You might have them check this on your car, and engine mount as well.

Best of luck.
Hey, thanks for the comment. What year is your bimmer? Miles? Also, noticed you're new here. Welcome aboard.

Thanks Again.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Tit. Silver | interior | hardwired v1 | led interior lighting | Aluminum Pedals | . | exterior | full oem mtech kit | Radenergie RS-10 | M5 Mirrors . | performance | . | future mods | custom steering wheel | led angel eyes | RD Sport Quad exhaust | M5 rear bumper | RD Sport Trunk Spoiler | M Trunk Finisher . | thanks | euro-wise |

Hey BimmerFamily2010, I was wondering did you ever get this resolved/fixed? I'm having the same issue and my car is not under warranty any longer. Took it to BMW right before the warranty expired and they ran a diagnostic test and it came back with no issues.

I would like to know if you've gotten this resolved. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Members

This is the dreaded 545i transmission surge. Google it, it will bring you to another forum where there are 17,000+ views and hundreds of responses. A new mechatronics or transmission is the real way to get this fixed. I am working on this now as my car is CPO. The new mechatronics unit is $4,500 @ BMW.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wise 545i
Hey BimmerFamily2010, I was wondering did you ever get this resolved/fixed? I'm having the same issue and my car is not under warranty any longer. Took it to BMW right before the warranty expired and they ran a diagnostic test and it came back with no issues.

I would like to know if you've gotten this resolved. Thanks!

Hey Wise 545i:

Ah man. In all honesty, I still haven't resolved the issue yet. My car has been in the shop for four weeks! Three weeks at my independent bimmer shop and one week at the dealer. Keep in mind, I purchased an extended warranty through the lender. Long story short, the warranty dudes don't want to pay for a new transmission. They opted to install a used transmission in my 5er instead. My independent shop and extended warranty company went back and forth on this issue. Anyhow, Interstate Warranty told me to take my car out of the independent shop and bring it to a dealer - which I did. The SA at the dealership told me that Interstate Warranty demanded they do "Transmission Pressure Test." and other test they've never performed. Per the SA, they've never done a Transmission Pressure. After a total of fours weeks, it was determined by the dealership and BMW NA that it's a transmission issue. So far I haven't been given any specifics.

My car still has not been fixed! I dunno what's going on, but as soon as I hear back I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Members

Sorry to hear your dilema!! I get a very slight jerk @ 35-40 mph. As far as the diretional switch , you can change it via i-drive, and choose between 3 blinks per tap or the coventional blinking. I prefer the latter. Anyway let us know the outcme
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

damn... the car is still in the shop?!?! Sorry to hear that bro. Hope you get it back soon and with all issues resolved.

Quick Reply: 35 MPH stutter/thump. '04 545i Auto.