E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 Week Old CPO 550i - 2 Bent Wheels - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up an 06 550i CPO about 3 weeks ago on Saturday in Downtown Chicago. I didn't have alot of chance to open her up during the test drive. When I got out on the highway heading back home (about 150 miles south of Chicago) I could feel a slight shimmy at around 65-75 mph. I made the dealership aware of the shimmy the following Monday and being under warranty they asked me to take it to the local dealer for service.

The dealer noted that the front rotors were worn below spec ordered a new pair and replaced them. Didn't fix the issue. So I setup an appointment with my local tire shop to have them check the balance, missed my appointment twice due to work etc and finally got in today for the balance.

About 15 minutes after they took the car to the shop the tech takes me back and shows me not 1 but both my back rims are bent and one of the two is cracked!! According to the dealership they put brand new tires on the vehicle, how could they miss this if that was the case?!?! So now I'm riding on a donut as the cracked rim was so bad they wouldn't put it back on and immediately deflated it.

I'm fairly certain this was a preexisting issue, I think I would recall the pothole that did this kind of damage to both rear wheels.

Am a crazy to expect the dealership to replace these wheels? Any hints to help me convince them to replace them? The dealership is rather large, actually they refer to themselves as the "Largest BMW Dealership in the Midwest".

On a side note if I can't talk them into it (I've really got no evidence outside of the fact that they were contacted about the shimmy the Monday following my purchase), has anyone dealt with Finish Line Wheels? Seems like a very good price for the oem wheels.

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/BMW/5+SERI...006/A-59472U20/

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I apologize for the long post!
-Shane

PS-As much as I'd like to use this opportunity to get aftermarket wheels and tires its not a great time financially to do so
Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Members

I would think you would have a reason for complaint. But your're right - in the end it's going to be your word against theirs.

Good evidence is that the rotors were undersize which indictaes they didn't check the car correctly. If they missed somthing as easy as brake rotors, then they could have missed wheel run-out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

I would DEMAND that they replace the rims. The shimmy is a sure sign of cracked rims and since its a CPO car, the rims should not be cracked! I would go to the original dealer to get new rims. If they and the local dealer refuse, take it up with BMW corporate, bent rims are actually a driving hazard, you could probably sue them about it if you had enough money for the lawyers.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

I know in Canada you are protected by law when you buy a used car for a month I believe, dunno if you have the same thing in the states, but if the usual warranty doesn't cover it try going into consumer protection laws.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Contributors

i would go in there and raise all hell
Old 05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I would contact the dealership as well as BMW NA...
Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Members

Thanks guys, I just pulled out my paperwork on the rotor replacement as well. That's a good point, if they missed the that what else did they miss.

Purchased on 4/11 front rotors replaced 4/21 - 26.9mm LF, 26.8mm RF - 28.4mm is the cutoff

Don't know anything about wear amounts but does that seem pretty high for 10-20 days? (She mentioned they had just finished getting it certified and ready).
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Originally Posted by sakserv' post='869121' date='May 5 2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys, I just pulled out my paperwork on the rotor replacement as well. That's a good point, if they missed the that what else did they miss.

Purchased on 4/11 front rotors replaced 4/21 - 26.9mm LF, 26.8mm RF - 28.4mm is the cutoff

Don't know anything about wear amounts but does that seem pretty high for 10-20 days? (She mentioned they had just finished getting it certified and ready).
I picked up my 550 CPO in March and they said they couldn't give it to me until they replaced two bent rims. I would try go back and get them replaced...looks like they didn't thoroughly check your 550...sucks you noticed it 3 weeks later though. Chicago roads are rough, apparently I slightly bent my front passenger last month

Good luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Call your sales guy and service mgr until they replace them! This EXACT same thing happened to me on mine. The service department ended up covering the cost of repair of one and replacement of the other. Simply put, it's the service department's fault for not catching it up front. This pisses me off to no end, because BMW markets CPO's like new. Also ask to see the CPO checklist. In my case, I had a slow leak the next day I brought it home, so I had a complaint trail. Either way, there is no excuse for this. And IMO, BMW dealerships are needlessly reducing the value of CPO cars because this is starting to be the norm rather then the exception.

If you are looking for a good BMW service center, I take mine to Laurel BMW in Westmont. Yes it happened to me, but they fixed it at no cost...eventually Get in there and raise hell....Good luck!!!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

That stinks. Raise hell with the dealership. If that does not work, report to the BBB and BMW corporate in New Jersey.

Quick Reply: 3 Week Old CPO 550i - 2 Bent Wheels - Advice