E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 types of LCI headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot, trying to figure this one out but no luck. Maybe someone can help.

In this pic you can see 3 different types of LCI headlight. Which one is Xenon, which halogen and why does the inner light come in 3 different flavors?

It's frustrating
Attached Thumbnails 3 types of LCI headlights???-xenon_or_not.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

The left is standard Halogen (inside a projector module) - the inner relfector is halogen hi-beam.
The middle is non-AHL Bi-Xenon w/o cornering light (pretty much basic) - the inner reflector don't do anything.
The right is AHL (Adaptive) Bi-Xenon w/ cornering light (full option/loaded) - the inner reflector light up the corner.

Not sure where are you located but I don't think the middle kind is available in US market.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Members

I'm in SoCal, looking for a used 335i or a 528i. Not sure yet Anyway, the point was that I'm looking on autotrader.com and most of the information there is not very reliable. So I'm also paying attention the to car pics, not only the text description.

For example, if what you said is correct, than few of the 528i i've seen have Xenons but the dealer doesn't mention this in the description. Usually I don't trust dealers and the ppl that live to sell something (this case, cars) so i prefer to do my homework before i go see the car. If i see a certain knob, than i know the car has a certain option; if the stitches miss from the door, than I know there isn't leather on the seats; if the headlight looks like this or like that i know i have xenons or not etc. This kind of "visual" recognition.

This "headlight" puzzle was the only thing i couldn't make sense of of it. So many thanks for shedding light
Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by aphedrone' post='1034946' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:00 PM
I'm in SoCal, looking for a used 335i or a 528i. Not sure yet Anyway, the point was that I'm looking on autotrader.com and most of the information there is not very reliable. So I'm also paying attention the to car pics, not only the text description.

For example, if what you said is correct, than few of the 528i i've seen have Xenons but the dealer doesn't mention this in the description. Usually I don't trust dealers and the ppl that live to sell something (this case, cars) so i prefer to do my homework before i go see the car. If i see a certain knob, than i know the car has a certain option; if the stitches miss from the door, than I know there isn't leather on the seats; if the headlight looks like this or like that i know i have xenons or not etc. This kind of "visual" recognition.

This "headlight" puzzle was the only thing i couldn't make sense of of it. So many thanks for shedding light

Thats very good, very good HW you're doing. I'm sure you know enough to be a very good asset to the board. Stay active. Good luck on your search.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Members

I will stick around and keep you guys posted. I'm driving my 3rd 5 series now in a 3 years span (I "cannot" keep a car more than 1 year ) so I might know few things to help others.

Ill see you around.