E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 days old to me e60, 4 questions for my new friends from a searchin n

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoever can answer any/all of these I owe my deepest gratitude, thank God for boards...

I am in Sac/CA, my 04 530 is 3 days old to me.

Question #1
I have two dealers in town, when asked about the BT the responses were.

Dealer 1. We can do the BT upgrade but 50% of the time the TCU has to be replaced and it would be my responsibility, even under warranty, if it needs to be replaced. (Upon further search's on this board I'm sure I can find a reason for a CIP upgrade)

Dealer 2. After conversation tech said that if I installed Sirius (want to anyway, just not right now for $$ reasons) the CIP would have to be upgraded anyway & he would enable BT.

Question #2
I have no NAV, and no Voice Controls, when I get the BT working will I have ANY voice controls?? Botton on strearing wheel obviously has no beep for me right now.

Question #3
Has anyone installed the aux input only below the climate control inside the little tray ( this seems to make the most sense as you can simply plug in a male/male and keep the mp3 player and cord neat in there? Glovebox open while driving doesn't make sense to me. Any links to installs appreciated! Not worried about power or any of that jazz right now.

Question #4
Previously I had Prem Sound in an X5 but on this purchase Sport Pack took priority and I simply had to sacrafice when I found the right car. Looking at a simple Fosgate sub installed in the left hand side of trunk with identical carpet surounding amp and a removable dual ten sub with a sub control dial in the front of car that comes with amp somewhere in drivers reach at about $1100 is this a waste of time and ghetto? Also the stock system is restricted on it's voume level so even with the bass all the way down will I get volume that is clean out of stock speakers to match a sub. My eventual plan was to add another fosgate amp sunk in cleanly into trunk using minimal space for an upgraded set of mid/highs up front. I hat ethe idea of my door panels being touched and I know it's ghetto but I have to do something. Searching for audio apgrades and pics sem fruitless. Links?

I upgraded from VW in my early twenties to BMW and this is absolutly the best driving and has a "feel" for the road like no other car, I know you know what I mean. I even dig completly the changing aspect ratios of the stearing.

I would drive no other car, except a 550/M5... Lucky A-holes!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

question ONE _ complain about one of these and they will upgrade you under warranty
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20118

question two _ you will have voice controls for the phone only _ to access the voice controls for the i drive you need the nav system

question three _ can be installed anywhere _ check the site _ i think it costs more

qustion four _ no idea _ let me know
Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Members

thanks for reply, you are the second to say that I'll have at least voice prompts for BT. I will let you know as stock audio needs help asap.

Thanks for link and 4 knowing about issues on older e60 like mine even though I'm a newbie who knows how to search just fine, it helps to have a little intellectual property shared by vets, printed link on CIP issues.

I have a vbulletin board in a business related topic that is #1 on search engines & it is indespesible as a medium for knowledge. Any reply from a vet on my questions is much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Here's my iPod hardwire install:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

For question #1 you are build date dependant:

4. For E60/63/64 vehicles produced from 3/04 to 8/04, Bluetooth? functionality can be added to most of these vehicles by updating the vehicle software using CIP 13.2 or higher. After this is performed "Retrofit" of "Tel Bluetooth" needs to be performed. Follow the procedure as described in this Service Information for "Activating Bluetooth" and "Pairing the Handset". Vehicles prior to 3/04 would need to have the TCU replaced with the 2005 MY TCU at the customer's expense and the vehicle updated to CIP 13.2 or higher. Phone docking cradles may not be added to these vehicles because of wiring incompatibility. Note: This software update and retrofit is not covered under warranty and is at the customer's expense.

Now even if you predate 3/04 I suppose one could "break" their Assist and have the TCU replaced under warranty for that issue and oops well look at that its a newer TCU and allows Bluetooth, but that is rare and risky.

#4. Even if in glove box (not saying you should not explore other locations), you do not need glove box open to operate. While my device location would be different than yours, you can see the door closes on cable with really no effort.
Attached Thumbnails 3 days old to me e60, 4 questions for my new friends from a searchin n-645interior_day4.jpg  
Old 01-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Members

Thanks for the pics, I don't have Nav like you guys and instead of a DVD mine has a small tray under the CD so I think I'll try to install the input there.