E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 Crashes, 12 hours, and $600 Later: Upgrade and BTUM!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I picked up my car last night, after three days, 12 hours worth of tech time, a rental car and $600 bill; but now, I have v. 20.2 and Bluetooth service in my early production 545. Boy, am I glad I returned to my old dealer.

The SA showed me the nearly inch-thick stack of workorder (PUMA?) pages that was generated during 3 download crashes and many more individual code correction/installation operations. But, they got it. I noticed on my RO that they also adjusted the steering mechanism for Active Steering update, and they paired my phone to the new BTUM adapter (nearly $600 worth of parts, labor, tax) and installed a new working cupholder.

They persisted and got it right and gave me a rental because of the overnight stay (I didn't buy it there). This dealer is so much more straight-forward and car-guy friendly that I can't believe that I strayed to the other pretentious joint across town; (but they had the 540 6 spd I wanted, last time around).

After the upgrade, I only had to reconfirm my radio settings and now, the auto headlights are taking a much-needed break from near-constant operation.

So, three cheers for Capital Cities Imported Cars!

Now, if I only knew how to test for MP3...

Ray Hull
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Is 20.2 update necessary in order to utilize bluetooth? I had my CPT 9000 installed some time ago and was hoping just to plug in the BTUM once I get a new phone.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='256365' date='Mar 17 2006, 12:26 PM
Is 20.2 update necessary in order to utilize bluetooth? I had my CPT 9000 installed some time ago and was hoping just to plug in the BTUM once I get a new phone.
No, not at all; I had other issues (Electronic Failure warnings) that needed to be addressed and corrected. So, they did one-stop progging.

Ray
Old 03-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hey Ray,

Didn't BMW offer a 3 year warranty?

3 crashes???
Old 03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='256434' date='Mar 17 2006, 02:51 PM
Hey Ray,

Didn't BMW offer a 3 year warranty?

3 crashes???
Not sure what you mean Ric, but I think they had the downloads/installs crash three separate times, before they went back in and began selective code loading and recoding. All this was done under warranty, addressing the "Electronic Failure" message.

But I am getting all this in shorthand from my service advisor. I'm guessing it was like trying to load the latest Windows XP with service packs onto an early version Windows machine. Takes patience and perserverence. And they did it.

Ray
Old 03-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Guys, please use the term CRASH sparingly to prevent visions of a mangled up e60 in front of our eyes.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

So it seems you got the service your car needed.

I'm happy with the CIP 19.2
Old 03-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='256348' date='Mar 17 2006, 11:08 AM
I picked up my car last night, after three days, 12 hours worth of tech time, a rental car and $600 bill; but now, I have v. 20.2 and Bluetooth service in my early production 545. Boy, am I glad I returned to my old dealer.

The SA showed me the nearly inch-thick stack of workorder (PUMA?) pages that was generated during 3 download crashes and many more individual code correction/installation operations. But, they got it. I noticed on my RO that they also adjusted the steering mechanism for Active Steering update, and they paired my phone to the new BTUM adapter (nearly $600 worth of parts, labor, tax) and installed a new working cupholder.

They persisted and got it right and gave me a rental because of the overnight stay (I didn't buy it there). This dealer is so much more straight-forward and car-guy friendly that I can't believe that I strayed to the other pretentious joint across town; (but they had the 540 6 spd I wanted, last time around).

After the upgrade, I only had to reconfirm my radio settings and now, the auto headlights are taking a much-needed break from near-constant operation.

So, three cheers for Capital Cities Imported Cars!

Now, if I only knew how to test for MP3...

Ray Hull

Man that is great Ray i am still waiting on mine it has been at the dealership since tuesday, I have a 2006 330 loaner the logic 7 is outstanding in this car i has such lows and mids it actually rivels my Onkyo home system. So they opened a puma case on yours also i think they did one on mine also my Sa has yet to return my calls so i guess no news is not good news, while its there i am haveing them fix my parcel shelf rattle, and adjust my wind noisy sunroof. I would love to see your invoice Ray just incase my tech cannot get it working if possible can you pdf it so i can print it off just in case? Thanks again for the good news, by the way do you have the voice control now? and if so is it just for the phone or does it work the radio.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='256595' date='Mar 17 2006, 08:04 PM
Man that is great Ray i am still waiting on mine it has been at the dealership since tuesday, I have a 2006 330 loaner the logic 7 is outstanding in this car i has such lows and mids it actually rivels my Onkyo home system. So they opened a puma case on yours also i think they did one on mine also my Sa has yet to return my calls so i guess no news is not good news, while its there i am haveing them fix my parcel shelf rattle, and adjust my wind noisy sunroof. I would love to see your invoice Ray just incase my tech cannot get it working if possible can you pdf it so i can print it off just in case? Thanks again for the good news, by the way do you have the voice control now? and if so is it just for the phone or does it work the radio.
Voice commands are on tomorrow's "try this" agenda. Dunno till I try; but the phone is equipped to handle it. Doubt that any radio is involved. Phone book is there, will try to add to it tomorrow.

Only glitch so far is loss of auto-UP on the windows. And my invoice is really pretty non-committal; the book was the internal work order that he kept.

Ray
Old 03-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Good deal Ray. I am glad it all worked out.

Quick Reply: 3 Crashes, 12 hours, and $600 Later: Upgrade and BTUM!