E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fault Message - Engine Failure, reduced power

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

I got this error message this morning on the way to work and have called BMW emergency. They are sending somebody out which is good but does anybody know of this message and if it has a chance of being fixed away from the dealer?

Thanks alot

Ben
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by bennicklen' post='670417' date='Sep 16 2008, 10:20 AM
Hi all

I got this error message this morning on the way to work and have called BMW emergency. They are sending somebody out which is good but does anybody know of this message and if it has a chance of being fixed away from the dealer?

Thanks alot

Ben
I guess it could probably be many different things.

I had the same error message about a month ago and it turned out to be an issue with a fuel pressure switch (on my 530d) ... additional symptoms for me were that the engine was very rough when trying to pull away (I was stuck in traffic when the message appeared). I guess this was a result of not enough fuel getting through. In fact, the engine stalled, but then ran okay once I re-started it (and the error message went away too).

I decided to take it to a dealer and diagnosis of the issue, plus parts and labour to replace it, came to ?335 for me. Not great news, but I guess it could have been worse.

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious for yours.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

As simple as it sounds, did you try tightening the gas cap, or check it. This is frequent error message and a number have members have posted their experiences with it. As always, the search bar will help you out a bit. GL, hope everything gets resolved, keep us posted
Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Members

Hi again

Good news, it's fixed! The engineer said he had to replace a hose connecting the turbo. My car has a new lease of life! Guess it has been under performing for a while now but i've just got used to it. It's still a 520d but god it feels much quicker than it did before!

All done under warranty luckily for me

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Congrats, glad to hear everything got resolved
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

I had the same message a couple weeks ago but it went away, should I take it in?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Members

Sounds like a problem I had. If solved, great. If not come back online...
Old 09-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Members

btw, my problem appears to have been 2 fuel injectors and 2 of the three fuel pumps. 1 week in the dealers (during which time they were conversing with BMW engineering central...)
Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributors

i remember have that problem but they had to replace the DME.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I just experienced this problem this morning. It came on about 15 minutes into an hour drive to work. It went on and off for the entire ride. The car still ran at speed limit, but I did notice the engine was running a little rough. I left work, restarted the car and the warning was off and stayed off for the hour it took me to get back home. I guess I should take it to the dealer so they can see if it registered any codes. The car only has 1700 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Fault Message - Engine Failure, reduced power