E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2010 535xiT vs. 2006 530xit Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Some may remember that I lost my 2006 530xit through the stupidity of another driver last Dec 31. (See: https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=68101 ) My new 2010 535xit was delivered in April and has just passed 10K miles. I though you might like to hear my longer term impression of the new iDrive and the N54B30 vs. N52B30 engines.

Engine: Many before me have raved about the twin-turbo N54B30, its flat torque curve, its power and smoothness. I want to add praises about its power at altitude. My wife and I summer in the Colorado Rockies; our house is at 8,000 feet (about 2,400 meters). And this past summer we have driven as high as 12,000 feet (about 3,700 meters). It seemed as if the car had the same power as it had at sea level! Of course that could just be owner's bias, but the car's passing acceleration was most certainly much better than my 2006 530xit. My only regret is that neither engine has that turbine like siren song at high RPM of the big-block sixes in my E34 M5 or E28 533i.

Driving Impressions: Despite the Goodyear NCT5 runflats I think the 535xiT drives better on the highway. It seems to handle more smoothly ? nothing dramatic ? just the feeling of a larger handling envelope and greater poise. This past Wednesday (11/04) I transitioned to Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. They should be quieter, improve grip and good millage.

Comfort Seats: Simply the best!

Logic 7 Premium Sound: My salesmen (both in 2006 and this year) suggested that I not buy Logic 7. I took his recomendation in 2006; it is hard to fault someone arguing against his short term economic interest (a better commission). This time I did not, I listened to members of this board. The improvement is subtle not in your face - that is as it should be. The music is more transparent, the dynamics unconstrained and effortless. I can think of no higher praise.

2010 535xiT vs. 2006 530xit Comparison-2010_535xit_img_jhhe60___2.jpg

2010 535xiT vs. 2006 530xit Comparison-2010_535xit_img_0877_jhhe60.jpg

Gas mileage: Since I drove the car from the dealer, I have averaged 21.9 mpg. (See: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?acti...0Wagon%20xDrive ) About 2/3rds of that was interstate travel. On long interstate runs, I have averaged about 23 mpg (despite average speeds of 75+ mph and with a full load of luggage ? much of that driving was in the Rocky Mountains). In the suburban Connecticut I average about 19 mpg. Of note, when I filled up in Montrose, CO with ethanol free Shell V-Power, my mileage jumped 24.7 mpg vs. 22.6 mpg over the same roads on the return trip. Ethanol from corn appears to be less than a zero sum game.

Oil Temp gauge on 2010 E90 335xi: While in Colorado, I drove a friend's new 335xi (lci). Quite a car, but I prefer the size of the E60/61. However, I noticed that the E90 had an oil temperature gauge instead of our useless (IMHO) instant mileage gauge. An oil temp gauge would be quite useful, as one could see when it was OK to use the upper rev band of the motor.

iDrive & Navigation: The new iDrive system is much improved - as I and others have noted before. The iDrive control is more intuitive and easier to use. Calculation is far speedier, taking less than five seconds to calculate the route from Connecticut to San Francisco. I truly like the integrated navigation system. For example, when on the road one can choose to dial the phone of a point of interest. The iPod integration, as well, is ever so much better than my 2006 car and HD radio is available the few times that I listen to the radio.

I had not used the real time traffic alert information over the summer, as most of the driving was rural and in the western states. However, last Friday we went to New York City for dinner - traffic was awful - the screen was a complex of 'orange' (blocked) roads. Navi gave us a sequence of alternate route that let us get through - although it did suggest taking to the streets of the South Bronx - I demurred having read The Bonfire of the Vanities. We made dinner on time.

However I must note several nits (minor shortcomings):

? The screen is very hard to see in broad daylight. The info box in the upper and lower right hand corners of the Map mode is washed out in bright sunlight. It is almost illegible. Selecting Night Mode makes no apparent changes. The navi screen on my 2006 was far easier to read. Apparently, E90's with navigation have the same problem. Changing the font/background from black/dark grey to orange/dark grey would make a major improvement (as in the lower left box). This is something BMW should do in the next software upgrade.
? BMW Assist? MyInfo - Google Maps is a great innovation when it works: One can download several waypoints to the car. I was told by the lady @ BMW Assist that one can send at a time up to five (or was it ten) waypoints to the car. I have never been able to download more than four - and at present I can only download one! Since my car is new, I am a safety plan subscriber. I have asked my dealer, who check with NA and we have had no luck in finding what is wrong.
? Navigation Algorithm: The new system is greatly improved improved. Calculation speed is up as is the speed of search. The estimated time of arrival when the routing is primarily on interstates is generally spot on. However, when using conventional roads, US or state Highways (i.e. US-40 or CT-33), the system needs to brush up its algorithm.
  • For example, the road from Glenwood Springs to Aspen CO is approximately 41 miles according to MS Streets & Trips - close to my car's odometer. The road has speed limits that range from 25 mph in Glenwood Springs and Aspen to 65 mph on parts of CO-82. MS S&T estimates a driving time of 41 minutes - close to my times. The Navi Computer in my 535xiT estimated from 80 to 110 minutes - depending upon its mood. That might have been a reasonable time in the middle of a snowstorm - but it was way off for a road in summer.
  • Another bad estimate: Wichita, KS to Hutchinson, KS (Short Route: KS96 60 & 70 ? four lane) 47 miles 3:31PM to-4:59 PM (1:28 or 88 minutes). It took me 47 minutes!
  • The 'fast route" is not always the 'quickest" - sometimes it just is the shortest. For example: the drive from Vail CO to our house in Singletree via interstate for 13 miles and 1.9 miles of local roads takes 14 minutes. However, our navi system would prefer us to get off after only 7 miles of interstate and take local roads for the remaining 6.2 miles. Shorter, yes, but that would take 17 minutes, before stops at traffic lights. One can drive at 67-to-75 MPH speed limits on the interstate, but only 25-to35 MPH on local roads. Go figure.
All in all, I like the navigation system very much. I recognize that it cannot have local knowledge (i.e. the South Bronx) I just wish I could understand the reasoning/algorithm behind the above issues. A final note: If you get a chance, read "1997 McLaren F1, Bertone Mantide, Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M, 2008 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti - Supercars across America" in the latest Automobile Magazine. Some of the cars ran roughly in the high altitude of The Rocky Mountain National Park. My car was smooth as silk in the mountains and like those in the article in cruised comfortably at 85-to-90 (shush!) and squirted easily to 125 (double shush!!)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Thanks for the write-up. I have not finished reading yet, but want to say I agree - I sure wish the exhaust note (especially at the limit) would finally get up to par in BMW. Why can Infinity make the best-sounding exhaust, and still charge less than a Lexus for a comparable car that outperforms the same-class BMW, while BMW - it seems - is counting beans when it comes to visceral experience these days... well, ok, not completely, but the stock exhaust sound on the I-6 engines could be improved.

Anyway... thanks for the review.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1050781' date='Nov 9 2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the write-up. I have not finished reading yet, but want to say I agree - I sure wish the exhaust note (especially at the limit) would finally get up to par in BMW. Why can Infinity make the best-sounding exhaust, and still charge less than a Lexus for a comparable car that outperforms the same-class BMW, while BMW - it seems - is counting beans when it comes to visceral experience these days... well, ok, not completely, but the stock exhaust sound on the I-6 engines could be improved.

Anyway... thanks for the review.
That was one thing that disappointed me as well about the 530, was the exhaust note (or lack thereof). I believe that BMW still firmly believes (and their consumer demographics confirm) that the 5 series sells the best to middle age persons who will most likely not appreciate/want the exhaust.

Infiniti's 2002?-2006 G35 exhaust was indeed the most awesome sounding in a mass-produced car around in my opinion

BMW could resolve this by adding a throaty exhaust with the sport/M-Sport package I think. Or, at least an option for one.

Regardless, the RPI exhaust/scoop and K&N-drop in took care of any sound problems with the 530's exhaust