E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 E60 A/C not cooling for several miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with their E60 A/C? After the car sits overnight, and especially if it sits for a couple of days, it takes a long time for the A/C to begin cooling. It blows EXTREMELY hot air for about 7 minutes and then it will start putting out cold air. It is hot enough to burn you eyes. We took off a few weeks ago and my wife was wearing a gold necklass. It was 106 degrees actual temperature outside and she was having to hold it away from her neck because it was burning her. Now, typically, I know how people think... "it just takes a while to cool the inside of the car down". Not the case. After we drive the car for about 7 minutes you can immediately feel cold air coming out of the vents. Once the cold air begins coming out of the vents it cools the car extremely fast and works perfectly the rest of the day. Occasionally, it starts putting out cold air the next morning pretty quick but most of the time it doesn't. After it begins to cool it will turn you into a popcycle.
I have had it to the dealer three times while under warranty and they could not find a problem because it had not set for two days. Finally, the service adviser looked it up and their was a TSB (Technical Service Bullitin) that said there was a built-in fail-safe to keep from damaging the A/C compressor because of liquid settling in the compressor and it had to pulse until all the liquid was out of the compressor. It also said that there was no recommended fix. What a load of CRAP! My Son has an 07 335i and his A/C is instant all the time.
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Ed
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Members

Same here. I'm thinking about "recharging" my freeon
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

your dealer is correct. the part inside the compressor your dealer is referencing is called a swash plate. my E60 does the same thing. basically, your compressor is slowly dying. it's probably going to hang on for a while; you can either put up with it, or replace your compressor.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i stock. wifes car 07 x5 stock

I have the same issue. I've been dealing with it for about a year now. I found that it helped slightly when I bought my windshield shade screen. I'm kind of just waiting forthe compressor to crap out and then get a new one.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

My 2007 E60 has better air than my '08.

I don't recommend trying the cans of recharge stuff from the auto stores. Very easy to make things worse - been there and done that.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

If you want to charge up your system, there's only one way to do it properly (and legally) - take it to a shop, get them to pump out the refrigerant, and refill it with the right quantity and type of both refrigerant and oil. Forget the cans. Even with pressure gauges, you can't tell how much refrigerant is in the system, since it operates at saturation.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Members

My system is not low on freon. I have a machine that I can evacuate and recharge the system if that were the problem. KyleB is correct, the compressor is at fault... it ticks me off that the dealer told me that there was no recommended fix. I called BMW N/A and they told me it was not their policy to tell anyone that that there was not recommended fix and they were not aware of a TSB that said so. The service adviser showed it to me and I read it, so he didn't make it up. The warranty is now expired so this leaves me in a pickle. I wanted to get it repaired before the warranty expired, now it is gong to be an expense out of my pocket when BMW should have paid for it.

Ed
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hurst01
My system is not low on freon. I have a machine that I can evacuate and recharge the system if that were the problem. KyleB is correct, the compressor is at fault... it ticks me off that the dealer told me that there was no recommended fix. I called BMW N/A and they told me it was not their policy to tell anyone that that there was not recommended fix and they were not aware of a TSB that said so. The service adviser showed it to me and I read it, so he didn't make it up. The warranty is now expired so this leaves me in a pickle. I wanted to get it repaired before the warranty expired, now it is gong to be an expense out of my pocket when BMW should have paid for it.
Ed
If this problem was brought to the attention of your dealer (and the issue recorded in the vehicle record) but not corrected while in warranty you have a legitimate reason to have it corrected NOW but not at your expense. If there is no record of the issue (lazy SA or careless) do you have any record of its report - an email to the dealer or some documented record that would stand up (e.g. in court).

Another tact is that (most) BMW dealers will help cover repairs (esp expensive ones) if your car is out of warranty for a relatively short time.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Members

I know it was recorded at the time of complaint along with a complaint of the power seat and mirror memory settings. I have to readjust everything every time I drive the car even though it has been set in the I-Drive and the memory buttons on the seat as well. I missed telling them that the front and rear windshield weatherstrip was rotted and coming apart. The car should not have these kind of problems for it's age. BMW N/A told me to take it back to the dealer and talk to the Service Manager and ask him/her to review the complaints and it might be taken into consideration. They also told me that I could take it to any dealer to have the repairs done but would have to pay for it.
I will find out and report back her in case anyone else has had the same problem. The only good thing about having to take it to them if they won't cover it is that I am still listed as a wholesale purchaser in their parts dept. and will still get the parts at wholesale. I have been retired for several years, actually, disabled. I don't feel like, and don't enjoy working on these cars any more.

Ed
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Wolrab
If you want to charge up your system, there's only one way to do it properly (and legally) - take it to a shop, get them to pump out the refrigerant, and refill it with the right quantity and type of both refrigerant and oil. Forget the cans. Even with pressure gauges, you can't tell how much refrigerant is in the system, since it operates at saturation.
This is not exactly accurate, but probably true for mass majority. For instance, I can legally work on automotive A/C systems, so I dont HAVE to take it to a shop to "do it properly (and legally)". Almost anyone can get an automotive a/c certification by taking an online test. With R-134a refrigerant, you really want to stay away from just "adding" refrigerant. It is very important that the proper amount is in the system for it function efficiently.