E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 BMW 535xi Buzzing from dash and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new to this forum but though perhaps someone out there could help me figure out what the problem with my 535xi.

I got my 2008 535xi last August and from the time I drove the car out of the dealership, it's been plagued with rattles that despite multiple visits to the service centre, remains a problem. Call me obsessive but I like my car rattle free, even the slightest unusual noise in the cabin bothers me.

I finally figured that the noises are likely coming from the rubber seals that are a bit sticky and going over bumps causes it to rub against the opposite surface and causes this 'rattle'. Any suggestions?

There is also an annoying pulsing buzzing sound that comes from somewhere in the dash. My initial dealership service centre could not figure out what it was (most of the time they said they couldn't even hear it!). I finally brought it to a different service centre and the head tech sat in the car and immediately heard it and said it was not normal. Again after many days in the Service Centre and taking the dash apart etc. they have given up as they don't know what is causing this annoying noise. It comes on only if the gear is engaged and dissapears when it's put in 'park'. They initially thought it was due to some heater valve and replaced it but no difference. Has anyone encountered this problem??

Another problem is the air conditioning/heater. It keeps making this hissing sound that sounds like an old AC system with liquid running/flowing through some piping. They removed the AC gas and changed a valve but it's still the same. My previous 3 series never had this and none of the other cars I've sat in or owned ever had this problem. I refuse to believe this is normal!

I'm at my wits end and am thinking of getting rid of the car because the buzzing is driving my blood pressure up up up.

I welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Contributors

I'm just as picky about rattles and unwelcome/unwanted noises. So I know where you are coming from.

What rubber seals are you talking about? If its things like door seals, you can always wipe them with some silicone to make them a bit more "slippery". Take some silicone spray and spray it on a cloth and wipe the rubber seals with it.

As far as the buzzing... Not a clue here.

Best of luck. Hope you figure it out. I sure hope my E60 (Arriving in a week or two) is tight as a tick or I'll go insane too.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

sorry, double post
Old 02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I just took my 535xi in today for similar rattling in the dash area. When I pick it up tomorrow i'll let you know what was replaced. My SA told me over the phone but I can't remember exactly what was replaced.

Rick..
Old 02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Members

I tried the silicone spray but it's temporary and works only for a few days. I just got the Gummi pflege that BMW sells and it helps a little. My service tech said that they can sell me some 'dry lube' to apply. I told them I wanted to do it myself....I just don't have faith in them anymore. Some people say silicone should not be applied to rubber (even though the spray can says it's safe for rubber)

Good luck on your new wheels, I hope it's rattle free and doesn't give you headaches like mine.

Originally Posted by jes0331' post='534284' date='Feb 21 2008, 07:40 PM
I'm just as picky about rattles and unwelcome/unwanted noises. So I know where you are coming from.

What rubber seals are you talking about? If its things like door seals, you can always wipe them with some silicone to make them a bit more "slippery". Take some silicone spray and spray it on a cloth and wipe the rubber seals with it.

As far as the buzzing... Not a clue here.

Best of luck. Hope you figure it out. I sure hope my E60 (Arriving in a week or two) is tight as a tick or I'll go insane too.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Members

Thanks man

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='534291' date='Feb 21 2008, 07:55 PM
I just took my 535xi in today for similar rattling in the dash area. When I pick it up tomorrow i'll let you know what was replaced. My SA told me over the phone but I can't remember exactly what was replaced.

Rick..